Why become a member? ×

do fender sell more precisions or jazz's?

iconic

It occurred to me that Thomann list the top sellers in each category on their website, and they shift a lot of instruments. If you look in "electric basses" there are two Squier Jazzes in the top 10, but no Fender or Squier Precisions. That's just one retailer and not a huge amount of information, but perhaps indicative in a back-of-a-fag-packet sort of way.

In the blurb they say the P is the most popular bass of all time. I'm assuming they mean sales wise. I think both go through phases of popularity. These swing about very quickly. A year or two ago this place was awash with P GAS. They ain't so popular at the moment but give it another few months.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1392141234' post='2365271']
It occurred to me that Thomann list the top sellers in each category on their website, and they shift a lot of instruments. If you look in "electric basses" there are two Squier Jazzes in the top 10, but no Fender or Squier Precisions. That's just one retailer and not a huge amount of information, but perhaps indicative in a back-of-a-fag-packet sort of way.
[/quote]

http://www.thomann.de/gb/topseller_gieb.html?sid=2a3c2a5cd0eed3608bb683580a9a260a

'tis a Harley Benton frenzy in the top 20!

We sell more Squier jazzes than precisions but more Fender Precisions than jazzes... And people wonder why they can never find what they want in stores. It's no wonder when the store has to predict trends like that lol!

Edited by skej21

I found this post on the official Fender forum:

[color=#333333]Many people would be interested to know Fender's sales figures across the product range but unfortunately that is what's known as "commercially sensitive information", and they haven't given out official numbers for decades, if ever.[/color]

[color=#333333]However, it is well attested that the Strat outsells other models by a long way. I don't know how Telecaster sales compare to Gibson Les Pauls (the major commercial rival), but the Strat is miles ahead of both of them. That much the Company has been prepared to reveal in guitar magazine interviews and other such places over the years.[/color]

[color=#333333]Still, there are some interesting stats to be had about the instrument industry. As we all know, Fender are the largest guitar manufacturer in the world, with Gibson in second position. And if Fender's Custom Shop were a free-standing company it would qualify as the sixth biggest global guitar maker in its own right. Which is quite something.[/color]

[color=#333333]However, in the league of instrument makers as a whole, Fender are well back from the lead. Here are some thought-provoking figures:[/color]

[url="http://www.musictrades.com/global.html"]http://www.musictrades.com/global.html[/url]

[color=#333333]As we see, Fender are only in fifth place: Roland are twice as big as Fender and Yamaha are seven times larger. Clearly, the really fat money is in electronic music related gizmos. Shaping timber pays less.[/color]

That certainly makes for interesting reading! One could argue that, comparing Roland and Yamaha, there's even more money to be made by dabbling in everything - I know Yamaha also make saxophones and pianos and so probably have a more varied catalogue even than Roland. But then another consideration is whether the figures in the table are just for sales of music and audio, or the company as a whole - e.g., Yamaha motorbikes...and do Roland still do anything computing-related these days?

Yeah, that's a slightly scary statistic! Though I guess some people will pay a lot of money for some of those CS Fenders, which must help bring up their standing if you're measuring it by the amount of money these companies turn over.

Does the original post give any indication as to who's in 3rd, 4th and 5th place? I'd be interested to see who's following directly behind Fender and Gibson (RIC? Yamaha?) - or who the Custom Shop could potentially bump off the 6th spot!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1392220758' post='2366118']
Does the original post give any indication as to who's in 3rd, 4th and 5th place? I'd be interested to see who's following directly behind Fender and Gibson (RIC? Yamaha?) - or who the Custom Shop could potentially bump off the 6th spot!
[/quote]

My guesses would be Yamaha, Ibanez and Peavey. Not necessarily in that order ;).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1392214722' post='2366027']
[color=#333333]However, in the league of instrument makers as a whole, Fender are well back from the lead. Here are some thought-provoking figures:[/color]

[url="http://www.musictrades.com/global.html"]http://www.musictrades.com/global.html[/url]

[color=#333333]As we see, Fender are only in fifth place: Roland are twice as big as Fender and Yamaha are seven times larger. Clearly, the really fat money is in electronic music related gizmos. Shaping timber pays less.[/color]
[/quote]

The one that surprised me most on that list was Steinway. Small market (relatively) due to size, high barrier to entry due to cost but one of masters of its genre. If Harman, Shure and Senheiser are ignored (not really instrument makers) then Steinway is the 6th biggest musical instrument maker behind Gibson.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1392220058' post='2366104']
The bit which stopped me in my tracks was: [i][b]And if Fender's Custom Shop were a free-standing company it would qualify as the sixth biggest global guitar maker in its own right.[/b][/i]

Exclusivity ain't what it used to be ...
[/quote]

Wow - really?
Maybe 'custom' ain't so custom these days?
Best get me up to Moffat for an ACG, either than or a personal audience with H P Wilfer.....

Edited by bagsieblue

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1392229655' post='2366259']

Went piano browsing with my partner one time. She played from a young age, and wanted a baby grand for home. Recall seeing a few Steinways, of the general size she was interested in, with price tickets in excess of £30,000 and £40,000. What surprised me was the salesperson's saying most of that and the similarly sized (more compact) models were sold months before coming into stock, and that she could expect around 12 months wait if she was interested.
[/quote]

To me that makes perfect sense. Why pay a removal company hundreds (insurance and professional delivery service) to bring the piano into the showroom and then hundreds to move it again from the showroom (after being played) to the customers address? Cut out the cost (or middle man!) and just deliver it direct!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1392227164' post='2366228']
My guesses would be Yamaha, Ibanez and Peavey. Not necessarily in that order ;).
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that ESP is in there somewhere, possibly even third from a convo I had a little while back?