Why become a member? ×

Opinions on talking to audience between songs

bonzodog

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392118744' post='2364808']
That's the way to do it. What was everyone there for? Not to hear Robert Palmer talking, that's for sure.
[/quote]

Agreed. Clapton is pretty much the same. He'll introduce his guests (though only a simple 'please welcome . . . . ') and offer the occasional 'thank you' but he's never been talkative whenever I've seen him. As you say - what do people go to a music gig for? It's not stand-up is it?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1392115154' post='2364751']
I played in a band where the singers best lines went something like, "That was a great number wasn't it?" And "Who's heard of XXX?".[/quote]

That's pretty cringeworthy, unless you're gigging an old people's home.

I'm definitely not the sort of punter who needs chit-chat to feel included.

The bands I usually enjoy play intense, serious music that is somewhat 'on another level' to on-stage dialogue.

If a band is giving the audience an out-of-body experience then inter-song conversation can really burst the bubble.
Some people (probably Coldplay fans) need that grounding as for them it needs to stay on a human level at all times.

Why go to festivals like Glastonbury for that 'intimate live gig' feel?

Of course there are exceptions though, ie smoky jazz bars or more intimate performances.

We surveyed a lot (about 80 clients) of our wedding/function gigs last year (after the event obviously) and this was one of the questions on the survey. Almost every response to this question was that interaction between the band and audience was desirable and recieved with positive response. I think if you are playing original music you would have a different stance on this... maybe the interaction would be to tell the audience a little about the songs you are performing

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392114384' post='2364736']
I always think it looks a bit arrogant to not talk to the audience at all, just standing there playing expecting adulation... I'd stick to what you are doing currently, sounds about right :)
[/quote]
[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]
Keep the audience banter for definite.

We generally try to keep the music going - less chance of people going back to their seats! There are a couple of places where our guitarist changes guitars - so we have a little bit of chat to fill these gaps. A little audience interaction is good, but got to keep the balance right. Really need to keep the content appropriate too.

A couple of years ago, I was checking out a potential band to play at my wedding (in a pub), the level of chat from their front man was enough for me not to book them. Trying to be funny, but a bit bad taste (e.g - [i]"I'd normally be having a w*** 'n' a Pot Noodle on a Thursday night. No - not IN a Pot Noodle. AND a Pot Noodle"[/i]). They did know we were there too - he made a crack about his agent telling him to be on their best behavior.

We left early and booked someone else.

Someone who can banter well with a crowd is a really valuable member of a band. If you can't be funny just try to balance humble with confident and be nice. If the whole band is funny and bounce well off each other then you're on a winner.Steel Panther are my favorites right now for this.

I have stood behind, and next to many a hapless twonk who can say nothing more than "how you all doing?" or "is everybody having a good time?" when the inevitable gap betwixt songs appears. it is not good.

In my old acoustic duo, me and the other bloke were for some reason able to go off on fairly entertaining tangents between songs, and were generally well received and chuckled at (or maybe with)

If you can't banter, then don't stop between songs, as it looks bloody awful seeing a bunch of awkward-looking muppets waiting for someone to count them in. :)

I and a couple of mates saw Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish in Birmingham on Saturday. Less Than Jake kept stopping to talk to the audience and invite random members of it up on stage for a dance-off, which IMO completely killed any atmosphere and continuation. Reel Big Fish on the other hand chatted to the audience but kept the songs coming which I think made for a better set.

Someone else will have a different opinion of course ;)

I think a bit of chat is important in most cases. Kit chats and swears a bit and sometimes offers to buy a pint for the first person to correctly name a cover we do. She gets a good response and we sometimes get some interaction with the crowd going on. The whole band interact with each other and we'll often laugh at a mistake or what Kit's doing or saying. It feels good, we have good times on the stage. I like to see bands interacting with the audience. Feels more like an event than just seeing a band.

Video yourselves at a gig. Play it back in the cold, hard, sober, light of day and see how it came across.

When I did it, the gaps between songs where the guitard was in 'now which pedal do I need for Mustang Sally, and I better have a retune for the 40th time tonight' mode, made a standard tumbleweed moment look like the eruption of Krakatoa

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1392123067' post='2364930']
Joe Walsh used a great intro at one of Clapton's Crossroads festivals:

"If I knew I'd still be playing this song I'd have written something different".
[/quote]

Reminds me of something JJ Cale said on one of those Crossroads Concert DVDs

[i]"We used to say when we were 20 years old that when you reach 30 you've got to hang up your guitar and get a real job and y'know do day stuff, and here I am at 65 and I'm still doing it - I can't believe that, it's hard to comprehend"[/i]

:D

Edited by flyfisher

Never played to any audience, but I'd certainly talk to them if I had a chance. Being quite shy at first, probably I'd start with something cheesy like a weather talk, but it always could turn into a nice laugh, right? I'd try to say something funny, in general. Not a big absorbing stopper, but just a few seconds of giggle.
I also love the idea of sign along, especially when the songs are not the band's, but rather they're something widely popular (or maybe even anthems; Flea did that on RHCP's concert at Slane Castle in Ireland, 2003; after the anthem, he talked to audience about his grandmother, who was Irish).

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1392125090' post='2364980']
Never played to any audience, but I'd certainly talk to them if I had a chance. Being quite shy at first, probably I'd start with something cheesy like a weather talk, but it always could turn into a nice laugh, right? I'd try to say something funny, in general. Not a big absorbing stopper, but just a few seconds of giggle.
I also love the idea of sign along, especially when the songs are not the band's, but rather they're something widely popular (or maybe even anthems; Flea did that on RHCP's concert at Slane Castle in Ireland, 2003; after the anthem, he talked to audience about his grandmother, who was Irish).
[/quote]

[i]COULD[/i] being the operative word :)
I was at that RHCP gig... they aren't a very serious band so it works nicely.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1392125106' post='2364981']
If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly.
[/quote]
It helps if you're Macbeth

Edited by MaGrOtTeN

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1392120235' post='2364846']
... and be careful about taking on hecklers unless you're really good at it!

Steve
[/quote]

This!!

When I started singing I used to reply with a simple "Dad! you said you weren't coming!" and leave it at that. Usually got a laugh long enough to start the next song.

These days - I've been doing magic and comedy+magic for a few years now so I'm quite used to getting heckled and I have a massive list of responses!

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1392123607' post='2364944']
Video yourselves at a gig. Play it back in the cold, hard, sober, light of day and see how it came across.

When I did it, the gaps between songs where the guitard was in 'now which pedal do I need for Mustang Sally, and I better have a retune for the 40th time tonight' mode, made a standard tumbleweed moment look like the eruption of Krakatoa
[/quote]

When I first joined one of the bands I play with, there was one guy who was always in a asking before each song about his capo position or which harp to use or what key. Ridiculous and would spoil any flow we had managed to got together. But it was easily solved with a set list with specific notes on his copy. Sorted.

You don't have to be the best band in the world but there's really no excuse for bumbling around on stage wondering what to do next!

Tuners are also a mixed blessing I feel, especially those ones clipped to the headstock - too tempting to keep using them, getting distracted and ruining any flow to the proceedings.