Why become a member? ×

Let's compare sizes....

Dom in Dorset

...Of amps used for gigging
I remember my first Bass Bash, everyone set up huge stacks around the room and there I stood with my Laney RB7 300W 2X10 combo feeling a little small.
I'm not in a load band , I rarely use it to it's full potential. Bigger venues I've played DI it , I wouldn't mind adding a 15" cab to it for extra lows but I could live without it.
Anyone use anything smaller?Or do you have a big one ?(ooh er)

Edited by Dom in Somerset

yes mine was big but now is bigger

i recently added a 115 to my 410 - end result is more lugging to and from the car into the venue but for me this is outweighed by being able to turn down the master volume to half what is was previously set at (trying to compete with the pesky guitarers) and it definitely shifts more air and the low end cuts through really well as we dont have any subs for our PA yet so i get to dominate the low end hahaha :D

if youre young and fit enough and have the transport is worth the effort imho/ymmv/mcton

I guess my rig is quite modest by modern standards. Even with the extension 2x10 at 4ohms I think my TE 1x15 combo is rated at about 300W. I'm mostly doing pubs and weddings/similar private functions so it's been fine for that. It has a DI out for bigger venues but I don't recall the master volume ever being above half way, for typical pub gigs its on about level 3 and we're not a particularly quiet band. If I turned up too much it would just mean I couldn't hear what other band members were doing properly (no monitors).

I'm using a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 which fits in a laptop bag and a Bergantino 4x10. The Berg is small but by no means light, but it's flight cased and on wheels so fairly easy to get into venues. The sound is suburb, the amp and cab are perfectly matched, I rarely have it past 10 o'clock at most gigs. I'd love an Ampeg stack but it's impractical for most gigs I do these days.

I have an RB7 too - I think it is about as big as anything you could want for pubs and smaller clubs settings. It seems to hold its own against the drums although I play with earplugs in anyway otherwise I get terrible ear ringing from the drummer unless I am 20 ft away from the snare.

Be interested in the settings you prefer for the RB7. I'm not much of a button fiddler, most at 12 O'clock except top treble which I run about 10 o'clock just to take some twang out when playing higher strings, and volume which I rarely seem to have over 5.

Cheers,
Rich

I use a Carvin BX 500 head into a single 1x12 Purple Chili cab. Would quite like a second matching can (well, not matching, would quite like the vinyl to stay on the next one)! Haven't had to turn master above 3 yet but would still like to hear a second cab running.

Hi Diablo,
no I'm not a knob twidler either! However in a quest to get maximum ooomph out of my Jazz I hit on this : (from L-R)
Entrance .3, Bass 5 , Frequency 250, Level 5, Frequency 500,Level 5, Treble 4 - I don't have my amp at home , I'm working from a scrap of paper from my kit bag.
When I get a cheap P copy I found that different settings were more effective.( can't remember what they were)
I'll PM the Jazz Bass settings with corrections / updates when I get my amp back.

I choose from SM400 into 2xAE112, or run the TF550-B thru them. I favour the latter for the small portable gigs.
I can run a DB750 into DB212 + 2xDB210 for total overkill (900w into 2ohms ). More sensible is DB212+DB210 but the power split drives
the 210 harder and I don't think there is really anything to be gained from this.
My default A rig is a DB750 into DB212 as that does everything.

I favour the headroom from the louder amps.. and I don't have any GAS at all.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1392023416' post='2363580']
Or do you have a big one ?(ooh er)
[/quote]

Funny you should say that...! I am in the middle of trading my Barefaced Compact (which is nice and small, but very loud) for a Barefaced Big One! Bigger, and certainly as loud B)

My Hartke LH500 barely breaks sweat and the whole rig is a one-trip carry.

Certainly better than the 20 years I struggled with a Trace Elliott stack (AH250, 1518 and 1048). I feel tired just thinking about it... :( Interestingly, I'm not sure my sound has changed that much either :huh:

I went from one of these

[attachment=154795:YamahaYBA-100before.jpg]

To one of these

[attachment=154805:original.jpg]

with one of these

[attachment=154806:images.jpg]

and no longer gig so use one of these

[attachment=154809:peavey112.jpg]

but mostly

one of these [attachment=154807:sony-13q2-FITseries-15-black-cover-lg.jpg] with these [attachment=154808:Panasonic_RPHTX7-C.jpg]

It may be psychological, but I prefer to have a larger cab behind me, and I'm happy to lug a big cab around as long as it's not too heavy.
Currently gigging a 6x10, but will be changing to a 2x12 soon (for tone reasons rather than size ones). I also have the ability to play both at the same time, which is totally unnecessary, but it's got to be done sometime just for fun.

In terms of heads, I've come to the conclusion that, for me, a normal weight 2U SS amp is no more impractical than the mini class D ones.

i've gigged using all sorts but my own rigs have always been pretty small, an ashdown nsuperfly through an ashdown 4x8, then swapped the head to an swr headlite, then swapped the cabs to a pair of barefaced midgets, now i've gone to a markbass f1 head to go with the midgets, i can get all the volume and tone i need from a single cab but often take the second one along as they're so light and it's easier to reach the controls on the amp when it's higher up, i've actually done a couple of gigs with only one of the two cabs plugged in (both accidentally and on purpose).

i like the extra stage space i get with the tiny cabs, that and the looki on thge soundmans face when i put the master volume at about 9 o'clock and out-loud his fancy PA sysytem!