Why become a member? ×

Reasonable Rehearsal Time ,

lojo

Imagine ..

Singers, Bass, Drums, Guitar, Keys

A set list worth of varied cover songs for weekender functions band, chosen to suit lineup. Ignore that many will already have played some of the songs as unit already and assume all new.

A time period given to suit the question to all "how long do you need to do homework and come completely prepared" (be it 1 week or 3 months).

So everyone arrives for sessions, totally prepared with lyrics, chords and structures (be it with cheat sheets or not), but ready enough that most of it is fixed in mind.

How many rehearsal studio sessions (evenings) would you be prepared to think was reasonable to be ready, before you thought it was too much effort or commitment.

5 or more ?

I would think three is probably reasonable. It's not about playing the songs until you get them right, it's playing them until you don't get them wrong! You won't be able to get to this stage in one, or even two rehearsals IME.

I wouldn't be too depressed at four or five, but any more than five and there must be problems.

Edited by Conan

I'd suggest 2 or 3, too. More than that would indicate (to me...) either a lack of ability on the part of someone, or a lack of commitment. Decently competent players (whichever instrument...) should be able to play most repertoires before embarking on this type of venture. The rehearsal time is really for becoming comfortable playing together, not learning the parts.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps...

Depends on the standard of the band members. But me, I'd do 1 max. I turn up ready and prepared. If I do a rehearsal it's mainly for topping and tailing anyhow. No need to go over songs again and again as we have all done our homework and learned the songs already, right?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391163913' post='2353898']
:lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Quite. Getting everyone to turn up prepared is like herding cats. There will always be at least ONE arse who can't, or won't, do it and (as has been said already) thinks rehearsal time is for working out numbers.

Edited by discreet

The replies are pretty much as I expected , thanks

So the general consensus is , assuming every one comes prepared , that 4 or more is overkill, and highlights other issues.

I am bing stubborn about rehearsals with a band, and wondered if I was being the silly by saying 4 max, after all I'm just bassist :)

I've certainly achieved more in 1 with certain personal , but am happy to do 4 to run with this lot, as it's fun and they are a good bunch , just didn't want to be saying someone unrealistic or unfair.

Two or three, assuming everyone's got mp3s or whatever of the version your'e using for reference. Assuming a two-set gig, one 4-hour rehearsal per set and another for polish, tops and tails etc.

But of course Roland Rock is absolutely correct in his first comment above

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1391169273' post='2353997']
I or 2, though I've met people who have this odd idea that rehearsal is when you learn the song.
[/quote]

This happens to me as well. Multiply that by a free rehearsal room where the amps, drum kit and PA are in situ and you can guess what happens.

The first rehearsal should mean you go through all of the songs, the whole way thorough with no significant mistakes (like more than 1/2 a bar's worth of mistake), be it a wrong chord, missing a stop etc. It should be 'gigable' down the dog and duck.

After the second rehearsal it should be gigable anywhere with all vocals sorted, harmonised and repeated mistake free.

Anything else and I get rapidly bored with very itchey feet.

When myself and some friends came together to play 3 weddings (for some friends getting hitched) a couple of years ago. We had 5 rehearsals to get us tight enough. Personally I think that if the songs are brand new to everybody, then 5 rehearsals are the minimum you need to get up to speed. Anything else would mean the first gig would be of a substandard quality.

If the rest of the band can't, or won't, commit to 5 rehearsals then it's a non starter in my opinion.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391173869' post='2354092']
If the rest of the band can't, or won't, commit to 5 rehearsals then it's a non starter in my opinion.
[/quote]

That's the first comment against my initial stance and most of the thoughts above, nothing wrong with that, I don't think anyway is right or wrong and so many variables, but can I ask, you need 5, does everyone come knowing the stuff well, or during these is there a lot of teaching chords and parts which haven't been done as homework (you've mentioned if the songs are brand new, which in my example if homework is done, no song is brand new) ?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1391174467' post='2354105']
That's the first comment against my initial stance and most of the thoughts above, nothing wrong with that, I don't think anyway is right or wrong and so many variables, but can I ask, you need 5, does everyone come knowing the stuff well, or during these is there a lot of teaching chords and parts which haven't been done as homework ?
[/quote]

I suppose it depends how tight you want to get. IMO only repeated (and productive) playing will iron out the tiny niggling bits and bobs which inevitably exist in an under-rehearsed band. On the other hand you don't want to rehearse the life out of it either, so it's a balance. What you really need are well-defined areas of doubt and uncertainty to keep it fresh. :D

Edit: Having said all that, super-tight (yet fresh) playing only comes from doing a LOT of gigs, so...

Edited by discreet

How good are these players?

If it was just me depping in an existing unit then I wouldn't need any rehearsals.

If it is a whole band then 1 rehearsal max. Everyone should know their parts when they turn up and the rehearsal should just be to "top and tail" the numbers and play through once.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1391175019' post='2354123']
Jesus Christ! [i]One[/i] rehearsal? [i]Two[/i] rehearsals?

Any band I'm in should have the set in place, no mistakes and note perfect before we've met or even learnt how to play.

Or I walk, simples.
[/quote]

Didn't I meet you once, are you a singer ?

That's the first comment against my initial stance and most of the thoughts above, nothing wrong with that, I don't think anyway is right or wrong and so many variables, but can I ask, you need 5, does everyone come knowing the stuff well, or during these is there a lot of teaching chords and parts which haven't been done as homework (you've mentioned if the songs are brand new, which in my example if homework is done, no song is brand new) ?
[/quote]

You're obviously used to playing with more professional musicians than I am :)

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1391179573' post='2354224']
Get all the song keys sorted and agreed in advance. Nothing is more frustrating than learning a bunch in one key, only to have to change on the day because the singer (usually) can't sing them.
[/quote]

Yes, that really sucks giant mythical plums.
And it's usually because the first time the 'singer' has 'sung' it is at ****** rehearsal!!

[/quote]

Ironically, even though in my ideal world I would rehearse until the cows come home, I'm playing in the backing band for a blues singer/harmonica player over from the states in July. He doesn't want to do any rehearsals before we tour and will just shout out the key and the feel of the songs on the night (he says he doesn't like set lists). The adrenalin will be pumping at those gigs and that's for sure.