Why become a member? ×

Use a plectrum??

TheGreek

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391343138' post='2355927']
No controversy intended! I just can't play faster with a thicker pick, is all. :)
[/quote]

Keep your wrist loose and your action 'in the fingers' for those intricate movements when building to a climax. Always remember that quality is more important than speed and allow a few minutes to relax afterwards.

As for playing with a pick, I have no suggestions at all.

No controversy intended! I just can't play faster with a thicker pick, is all. :)
[/quote]
Have you tried one with a tapered tip? I use 3mm picks but if they were 3mm all over I think that would slow me down considerably, or even anything above 1mm.

[/quote]

I play faster with a thinner pic, because I just saw right through the string. Probably not the correct technique at all, but then El Borracho is using the wrong point of plectrums... what a weirdo :P :lol:

[/quote]
Yes, I realise that but I meant that I thought it was common knowledge to associate thin picks with rhythm/chordal strumming and thicker picks with soloing and fast jazz licks/shredding ... and having a bit of a Google round t'interweb, it does indeed appear so.

I now play exclusively finger style, but that comes from gigging double bass for the past 3 years. However, when I used to play with a pick (eg, in punk and metal bands) I played MUCH faster with a thin flexible pick. I found stiffer picks occasionally 'jammed on the strings', completely throwing out my rhythm.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to do this but....

I've got 11 .73 Tortex pics if anyone wants them, well, I've actually got 12, but one is a bit scruffy having been used :) They're not flexible enough for me, I prefer the .60s.

First to shout gets them.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1391364179' post='2356251']
No. I actually use this bit. Or is that what you meant?

That's just how I picked it up over 30 years ago so I don't think I'm going to change now. :D
[/quote]

that's what i understood you to mean too, good diagram :) actually they are quite comfortable round that way aren't they?

Definitely give the big triangle shape a go if you haven't already (I like Dunlop Tortex blue 1mm).

Smaller picks are better when it comes to guitar, but when you have the wide string spacing of a bass you can get away with something bigger that offers better grip and feels nicer in the hand. Small picks just feel awkward now, like eating with toddler size cutlery!

Away back in the stone age , when I last used plectrums there used to be big triangular Fender Mother Of Toilet Seat chappies. They were good, I'm thinking of finding some and giving my fingers a rest. Shiny !!

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1391627950' post='2359465']
This thread has had me raking through my stash of plectrums. I've been quite taken with my fatter picks, but i've only got to about 1.3mm. Has anyone tried a really FAT pick? Like 2 or 3mm? :blink:
[/quote]
There's been several of us stating in this thread that we use 3mm Big Stubbies.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1391632839' post='2359606']
you're right, i've lost track!
i tried those stubbies when i played guitar, i can't get a hold of them, they are small aren't they.
i was thinking of a regular sized pick i suppose, but chunky!
[/quote]You're thinking of the normal Stubbys, the Big Stubbys are much er... bigger.

I recently changed from Big Stubbys to 3mm Primetones.

I use a Roger Glover Tortoiseshell Signature model, I've had it for years and it has guided me in my musical journey since I first learnt Smoke on the Water at school.

Some people who have seen it say it's just a regular Fender pick with Rogers name on it, but I know different.

I don't actually use a pick to play but I like to keep a pick about my person just in case of an emergency. I've no idea what that emergency might be, but I did once use it to play Hash Pipe by Weezer, that seemed like the type of song that needed a pick.

The spirit of Roger is always with me.