Why become a member? ×

Bass distortion effects pedals

face19820

Hi Guys,

Just a general bit of general opinions if anyone has a minute.

Just wondering what type of distortion pedals (If any) you guys use?

I am hooked up with the classic Boss odb-3, but looking for something either a bit more powerful or with a different tone all together.
I know different tone would normally be a random thing to say for distortion related noises, but any opinions much appreciated.

Ashdown have released a 'nate mendell' signature distortion pedal, but no idea what it's like or even worth looking into?

Cheers again.

Steve.

Pretty wide spectrum I expect you'll get in responses. Any particular tone you have in mind/ not happy with at the moment?

For Grundy aggressive distortion, I use a tech 21 Xxl and love it. Aguilar Agro was a close second though.

I slso have an Sfx micro fuzz for fuzz. Probably changing it up for a cog fuzz soon though.

I've also previously enjoyed a turbo rat for distortion and a tech 21 vt bass for overdrive.

:)

My favourite drive pedals are Darkglass B3K, Ashdown Lomenzo, Marshall Jackhammer, and Sansamp Bass Driver (not strictly a drive, but gives a great tone on low gain levels when paired with another dirt pedal)

I prefer a clanky modern metal style distortion with a warm but not overpowering low end, though with a combination of the pedals I've listed you can get pretty much anything I've found!

Edited by chrismuzz

Essentially you're going to get a LOT of different options from everyone, based on their experience.

You have two ways to approach this, let us know what you currently play (bass/amp), what tones you want to achieve and what kinda music you play, then we can narrow now.
Or, do what I did, just set about purchasing as many as you can, swapping, selling on etc. Gig them and really get to know them.

This is called the quest for the ideal bass distortion ;)

Si

Thank you very much for the responses everyone,much appreciated.
I play in a hardcore punk band,normal tuning, orange t500 with Fender usa P-bass. Think bands like the bronx and sick of it all.
I feel that the odb-3 is not aggressive enough and have found myself adjusting the pedal sounds a lot and never being that happy!
Anyone play/played in these types if bands and used distortion pedals?

Cheers.

I read somewhere that the bassist for SOIA uses the Sansamp BDDI pedal to get that "grindy" sound. The Lomenzo Hyperdrive from Ashdown is great for that sort of sound. An alternative (and my personal favourite) is the Dave Hall VT1 - lovely valve kit and awesome with a P bass.

Cheers again everyone.

Have an idea that the Fuzzrocious rat tail is my weapon of choice, however getting one at a decent price may prove tricky. My second choice would be the ashdown lomenzo, followed by the mesa boogie flux. Anyone looking to trade plus cash etc please drop me a message. Not really sure how many people would really be looking for a boss pedal though to be honest!!

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1390328101' post='2344133']
I use a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail, in my opinion, I don't think you could get better/more versatile bass distortions/OD's/fuzzes then theirs!
[/quote]

Definitely this! I've got the Rat Tail, the Grey Stache and the Dark Driving - all very different but all excellent!

Another thought to consider is to blend, or not to blend.

I used to always have a clean tone blended with my distorted signal, but fell out of love with my tone. After getting different pedals with a more bass-directed approach, I now have a fully distorted tone and am much happier with it!

• 3 weeks later...

I can recommend the ProCo's Turbo Rat - can go from very subtle to stupidly loud and distrorted but very nicely compressed, and on subtler settings is very responsive to how hard you play, or how much volume/gain you set on your bass (like OCD I suppose).

ps. Turbo Rat ate my odb-3 for breakfast so got rid of it, and am sensing that yellow boss box is not getting much love round here, not surprised at all :D

Wow, Boss ODB-3 not aggressive enough? It's the most aggressive pedal going!

Sounds great into the Orange Terror Bass and a tweeterless cab though, I love mine.

If you want some of that aggression back that the Orange Terror seems to smooth out, the VT Bass, Catalinbread SFT (newer brighter sounding version), Xotic BB pre or the Rat Tail are all good options.

Edited by dannybuoy

Like you, I play hardcore punk with a P bass, but into a GK MB500, so fairly similar setups.

I currently use a Fuzzrocious Demon as my always on, and a Rat Tail for more distorted sections - both highly recommended, so much so I've ordered a BDPG too.

Previously, I used a Darkglass B3K - great pedal, just not 'for me' right now. Haven't sold it yet though..

I had an ODB-3 as well, didn't like it much. Had a Turbo Rat and a Gojira Heretic (Rat clone), both worked for me but the RT is far superior. Also used an MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe and a Gojira Mammoth clone, before working out I just don't need fuzz right now (both might be up for sale soon).

I've heard good things about Sansamp Bass Drivers and VT Bass, both might be great for distortion, I want to try them out but I would like to keep my Fuzzrocious board for a few months at least!

EDIT: Also have a Bass Big Muff which I liked, especially the dry control, and it sounded great on recording, but I could never get it 'right' live.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

[b]Never found one I was happy with. They all suck the low end. Billy Sheehan is right: To retain proper bass tone with a pedal, you need a dual amp/pickup rig....[/b]

[b]Just for the record from what I can remember, I've owned these (in no particular order):[/b]

[b]Nobels Bass overdrive[/b]
[b]Boss OD1[/b]
[b]Boss Bass OD[/b]
[b]Fultone Bass overdrive[/b]
[b]Dave Hall Audio Bass Tube distortion[/b]
[b]Ibanez Tube screamer modded for low end[/b]
[b]Some "Boutique" thing from the states[/b]
[b]Sansamp bassdriver[/b]
[b]Sansamp programmable bassdriver[/b]
[b]DAM audio Ezekiel 25:17 Bass fuzz[/b]
[b]Coloursound overdrive[/b]
[b]Ratt (not a bass one)[/b]
[b]Amptweaker Bass tightdrive[/b]

[b]And thats not counting the ones I only tried out.[/b]

[b]If I want overdrive/distortion now, I just turn the gain up full on my AD200.........[/b]

Edited by mart3442