Why become a member? ×

Would you pay a small fee - to try out a bass/guitar?

Big_Stu

Apparently a new Russian style coffee shop in that London is open which offers [i]free coffee[/i] and [i]free wi-fi[/i], but charges 3p a minute "rent" to customers length of stay in the shop.

As an extension of that - I mused; would it work for guitar shops that suffer from show-rooming customers, [i](who trial an item in the shop but then buy for less online)[/i] to charge a fee (eg. £1 a min?) for an in-shop customer trial - refundable if it's then bought.
If the item [i]isn't[/i] bought then the amount of that trial's rent is discounted from the then ex-demo guitar/bass's price? Thereby if a guitar is demoed enough someone eventually gets it for a steal.

Would you pay it - or would it put you off going into shops that did such? Would it deter the long traditional Saturday afternoon kids who widdle-widdle for hours on their dream guitar then put it back until next time?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1390146419' post='2341902']
I'd say it's absolutely worth a new thread. Great theme, and can be discussed from many angles.

Please do make that thread. (I had written an answer, but have deleted it, and will wait and see.)
[/quote]

OK - if it doesn't pan out - it's your fault! ;)   :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1390148932' post='2341943']
Apparently a new Russian style coffee shop in that London is open which offers [i]free coffee[/i] and [i]free wi-fi[/i], but charges 3p a minute "rent" to customers length of stay in the shop.

As an extension of that - I mused; would it work for guitar shops that suffer from show-rooming customers, [i](who trial an item in the shop but then buy for less online)[/i] to charge a fee (eg. £1 a min?) for an in-shop customer trial - refundable if it's then bought.
If the item [i]isn't[/i] bought then the amount of that trial's rent is discounted from the then ex-demo guitar/bass's price? Thereby if a guitar is demoed enough someone eventually gets it for a steal.

Would you pay it - or would it put you off going into shops that did such? Would it deter the long traditional Saturday afternoon kids who widdle-widdle for hours on their dream guitar then put it back until next time?

OK - if it doesn't pan out - it's your fault! ;) :lol:
[/quote]

I think if music shops tried to introduce such an idea, it would be the final nail in their coffin. Why would anyone want to pay to try out an instrument? Do DFS start charging for sitting on sofas/beds? Clothes shops for trying things on?

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1390149253' post='2341949']
Mmmm, I'm not sure about in-store but I'd be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a take-out rental.
For example,I've never touched a Warwick and paying for a weekend's rental would be an appealing idea.
It might cause a bad attack of GAS though.
[/quote]

Yes, it would ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1390152001' post='2341992']
90p for a cappuccino ?( if I stay for half an hour) . Bargain. I know there's corruption in Russia , but this sounds too good to be true.
What's the name of this coffee shop? Is it a chain ?[/quote]
"Ziferblat in East London" according to the paper. edit; UK's first branch of a Russian chain it said.
It was just a passing thought, maybe I should have just let it past. :huh:
Certainly would be one way of getting rid of time-wasters. I'm also in the "it's rare I see something actually in a shop that I want" camp but all of those used basses that are returned under distance regs have to end up somewhere - do they pay return postage or does the returning customer? I've never done it so don't know; if it's the punter doesn't it cost more than a £5 shop trial? "£1 a min" was just a fr'instance, would it work if it was a less cost?

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1390149253' post='2341949']
Mmmm, I'm not sure about in-store but I'd be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a take-out rental.
For example,I've never touched a Warwick and paying for a weekend's rental would be an appealing idea.
It might cause a bad attack of GAS though.
[/quote]
I think Scayles in Edinburgh used to do that years ago, certainly hired out backline but I would guess at the higher end insurance and security deposits etc would be an issue.

Edited by Big_Stu

Would I pay a small fee to try out a bass?
no- put this way, it's my money in my pocket they want me to spend- and if they want me to spend it with them they'll let me try things.

I do have a policy of not trying anything unless a) I'm actually looking to buy or B) the shop offer to let me have a go first.

Yup. I'd gladly pay for that - in the case of instrument shops that is, plus maybe some other types of shops.

That said, it would also mean that I'd get even stricter about choosing what shops to visit. I side with the hard working, good shops, and feel their despair.
Wasn't it written on here about the German show owner who started charging 25 Euros for his professional advice?

90p for a cappuccino ?( if I stay for half an hour) . Bargain. I know there's corruption in Russia , but this sounds too good to be true.
What's the name of this coffee shop? Is it a chain ?
[/quote]

You have to make the coffee yourself by the way!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390151664' post='2341985']

You even try wine in a restaurant before you buy it.
[/quote]

Really you're only checking that it hasn't gone off though, rather than whether you like it or not. Though most pubs (all decent ones!) will let you sample their ales before making your choice.

I can see why the shop might think it a good idea, but I think charging people to try instruments would put people off shopping in music shops altogether.

Floating this idea has certain merits, not the least of which is that it seeks to address the question 'What are music shops going to do when try-before-you-buy-onliners are so prevalent?'

The retail industry in general is giving some thought to the future - what will shops be [i]for[/i] if not for selling? Well, they might not be for 'selling' anything at all.

One idea that has been floated is that manufacturers or distributors pay a fee to rent display space in shops while supplying product for trial purposes only.

The retailer is spared the expense and risk of holding stock. His costs are covered by the display fee. After that, everything's bunce. Those who actually purchase from the shop walk out with a sales receipt and a pro-forma delivery schedule. Some time later, the van rolls up at your house and Bob's your Uncle.

Well, that's what some of them are thinking, anyway.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1390154835' post='2342053']
You have to make the coffee yourself by the way![/quote]

is that true? it'd be a bit of a grind if so :blush:

I think it was their reaction to a few chains who are miffed that folk are going into some all day, buying two coffees, one in the morning & one in the afternoon & using the free wi-fi.
Personally IF I saw a bass in a shop I was serious about and wanted a decent pop at it, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a fiver to be sure one way or the other.But in saying that 5 minutes isn't long to do so, so maybe £1 a minute is a bit ambitious.

PS. Anyone here prepared to admit that they've "show-roomed" a shop with no intention of buying there & going online to get it once happy with how it plays?

Edited by Big_Stu

I think music shops have a bit of an advantage in that although they have the disadvantage on new instruments, they do have the second hand instruments which obviously would be hard to get online without trying as it would be different.

The problem is that for a lot of places, if they were charging they might have to provide a 'service' which is against their ethos!

Personally I wouldn't try something in a shop and buy the same thing cheaper unless they were really taking the piss on price.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1390153954' post='2342025']
Would I pay a small fee to try out a bass?
no- put this way, it's my money in my pocket they want me to spend- and if they want me to spend it with them they'll let me try things.

I do have a policy of not trying anything unless a) I'm actually looking to buy or B) the shop offer to let me have a go first.
[/quote]

It's a shame there aren't more customers like you. We had a gent today who came in, unlocked a guitar on the wall (ie helped himself despite 2 of us asking if he was ok or needed help etc, to which his response was a flat 'no'). He then dropped the guitar (acoustic) cracked the back, passed it to me and said 'here *passes instrument*... Sorry', walked out of the shop and so we now have to recoup the items cost despite the damage which he hasn't paid a penny for.

Personally, I think it's this kind of issue that is killing the high street music shops. They can hold less stock so don't get bulk order discounts plus staffing costs and damage of stock pushes the price of instruments up and makes it so difficult to compete.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1390156311' post='2342081']
It's a shame there aren't more customers like you. We had a gent today who came in, unlocked a guitar on the wall (ie helped himself despite 2 of us asking if he was ok or needed help etc, to which his response was a flat 'no'). He then dropped the guitar (acoustic) cracked the back, passed it to me and said 'here *passes instrument*... Sorry', walked out of the shop and so we now have to recoup the items cost despite the damage which he hasn't paid a penny for.[/quote]

That's disgusting. I read a long time ago that signs such as "All breakages must be paid for" haven't got a prayer in law, don't know if that's true or not? Couldn't you have done him for criminal damage for such an expensive item, if you'd called the police in?

What's the name of this coffee shop? Is it a chain ?
[/quote]
They left out the bit about charging £1 to get out the front door lol!