Why become a member? ×

Weight of Fender Precision basses - what do you like?

tedmanzie

My JV Squier P-Bass (57) weighs 7lbs 15oz, which seems to be pretty light for a Precision, and has had the unfortunate knock-on effect of making lots of other basses I pick up feel quite heavy and not to my liking. I had a pretty heavy Geddy Lee Jazz for a while that I basically moved on because of the weight. Now when I look on the forum, 'what does it weigh' is usually my first question...

Is there any relationship between weight and tone? And who owns the lightest P-Bass on Basschat?! (and what does it sound like?)

Ted

Edited by tedmanzie

I don't understand the weight thing at all. I've never weighed any of my basses. I have a nice leather strap that seems to make anything I pick up comfortable so have never worried.

Is there a reason why people prefer light basses other than having shoulder pain from a heavy instrument?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1389639078' post='2336453']

Probably because finding out the weight of a bass *after* you've bought it is a bit too late.
[/quote]

This.

Do you know what prolapsed discs are? Scoliosis? Trapped nerves? Shoulder subluxations? Arthritis? Have you ever put a bass on and felt intense pain throughout your rib cage or spine, or had your legs go numb? I have or have experienced all of these, and I'm sure many others have at least one of these problems. Up to the age of 35 I could have worn anything; I used to carry a 100lb cab one-handed with ease. Then my back problems started and now my 30lb combo is heavy and I really struggle to wear a bass over 9lbs. It's an absolute must for me, knowing how heavy a bass is.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1389638248' post='2336432']
I don't understand the weight thing at all. I've never weighed any of my basses. I have a nice leather strap that seems to make anything I pick up comfortable so have never worried.

Is there a reason why people prefer light basses other than having shoulder pain from a heavy instrument?
[/quote]
I have just shelled out a lot more than I wanted to on a 9.5 lbs. 79 Precision to replace my 11.5 lbs. 79 Precision, they are pretty much identical in everyway other than I can walk now the day after a gig, 2 lbs. doesn't sound like much but even with a comfort strap it makes a huge difference to what I can do for a few days after a gig.

Interestingly the heavier bass does sound slightly meatier on the low E string than the lighter bass but not so much that you would worry about it

• 1 month later...

The weight/backpain thing is a bit like seasickness, people never really 'get it' until it happens to them.

After that, they take it very, [i][b]very [/b][/i]seriously.

I've sold some of the best basses I've ever owned simply because they were too heavy. It doesn't matter how great it sounds if you never play it.

The lightest Precisions I've owned all weigh 7.5lbs ... and I own all three of them right now. No coincidence.

The heaviest all weighed over 11lbs. For those who don't think in terms of the weight of a bass, 11lbs (roughly 5Kg) is a bass that, if you play it sitting down with it resting on your knee, it cuts off the circulation to your leg and your foot goes numb. This is not a good thing.

Two of the best-sounding Precisions I've owned were very heavy, apparently supporting the weight=tone argument. But the two best-sounding that I own now are both Mike Lull 5-strings, and each of them weighs just 7.5lbs.

Go figure.

I'm good with anything up to 8.5lbs, anything more and it becomes pretty apparent, especially on a long gig. I don't buy the 'heavier=better tone' thing - not only have I never noticed a correlation between the two factors, my Dingwall's 7.5lbs and sounds ace, and I had an 11lb 12oz 70s Jazz which sounded like soup. And not good soup, either.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1389640094' post='2336468']
Do you know what prolapsed discs are? Scoliosis? Trapped nerves? Shoulder subluxations? Arthritis? Have you ever put a bass on and felt intense pain throughout your rib cage or spine, or had your legs go numb? I have or have experienced all of these, and I'm sure many others have at least one of these problems. Up to the age of 35 I could have worn anything; I used to carry a 100lb cab one-handed with ease. Then my back problems started and now my 30lb combo is heavy and I really struggle to wear a bass over 9lbs. It's an absolute must for me, knowing how heavy a bass is.
[/quote]
This! I have the T-shirt.

Having said that I own a reasonably heavy Yamaha BB714BS (Billy Sheehan) that tips the scale at 10lbs. I vowed never to go there again...but, for some odd reason it just feels so right!

The lightest bass i've owned (Yamaha RBX4-A2) has the most sustain so weight need not be a barometer of sound qualities.

i had a squier vmj that was a great bass....but you could of safely moored a supertanker to it in a force 9 gale.

s'funny thing though, the weight of a bass and perceived quality....i still blink twice when i play my A2....super light but superb sound.