Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Jazz Japan 1966 Reissue

Linus27

Well, I had no intention to buy any new bass. However, after xilddx posted a picture a few years back of the Fender Japan 66 re-issue jazz in white with block, binding and matching headstock, I immediately fell in love. Sadly, they were only available in Japan, near on impossible to get and so I gave up the idea.

So to my surprise, I find Fender had released a very limited amount out of Japan for 2013. No idea how many have been released into the UK but the States got 136. I then notice last night that one of my local guitar shops had one in stock. So today I popped down, had a look, had a play, and that was enough. Half an hour later and I was £1000 poorer but it is so worth it. The quality is amazing, the tone is incredible and the feel is stunning. Not only does it look like a vintage bass, Fender have actually made it feel like one so top marks for that. The neck just feels wonderful and very retro. Even the lacquer feels vintage :) It does not feel like a modern Jazz in anyway which to me is great as it would ruin the whole point of this bass. The tone is very very tight and focused and sounds quite burpy. Its also very balanced with an even tone. I love it :)

Anyway, I am so over the moon with this bass, it will be my main bass from now on along with my Stingray with fretless Status neck once I get that made.

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/Linus27uk/media/SDC10136_zpsdda2ec39.jpg.html][IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/Linus27uk/SDC10136_zpsdda2ec39.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1388338977' post='2320961']
I'd move that pot full of [i]Echeveria[/i] out of it's saucer and into the greenhouse. Last thing that wants to be is waterlogged at this time of year. :)
[/quote]

This. Good drainage is key and 10 degrees C is about the minimum in winter. Don't forget to remove dead leaves from the bottom of the plant as it grows - they provide a haven for pests and [i]Echeveria [/i]are susceptible to mealy bugs.

Edit: Very nice bass, btw. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388339494' post='2320969']
This. Good drainage is key and 10 degrees C is about the minimum in winter.
[/quote]

I've found cold tolerance very much depends on the species, Mark. I have had [i]Echeveria agavoides[/i], [i]Echeveria rosea[/i] and [i]Echeveria elegans[/i] growing outdoors and unprotected for many years now, including through the last few colder winters - so they would have taken a low of -8C plus the freeze/thaw of 60cm of slushy snow on top of them. Actually, growing them outdoors helps with mealy bugs and vine weevil, another pest they are martyrs to. There are one or two other species that do ok outside - [i]Echeveria secunda[/i], for example - but most other species, of course, turn to mush with the first frost.

:)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1388355607' post='2321230']
Wow! I played this very bass at Guitar Village on my recent Mustang-shopping trip, and I can confirm it is a corker. If any bass was going to turn me back on to Jazzes, it would be this one. Congrats Linus!
[/quote]

Thank you. I have spent some more time playing the bass tonight and it feels like a bass I have owned and played for years. It is amazing :)

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1388704948' post='2325233']
nice i got the 75 pj re issue and the neck is wonderful on that bass.beats any of the american basses around at the moment. sheer class. and i am a £1000 poorer too but well worth the dosh.
[/quote]

Personally, I think the Japanese Fender stock is often better than the US standard stuff which is why they're so difficult to get hold of (and why Fender restrict the exportation of them as they undercut the US standard models for price/quality). This is another example of that. For less notes than a US (bog)standard Jazz, the detail and style makes that a real stunner!

Very nice Michael. You do realise however that you've now upset me. I recently acquired a Jazz after only playing precisions and am enjoying it immensely so much so that I fancy another Jazz. Now I know which one would fit the bill. Just a shame that I'm skint after Christmas. Enjoy the bass my friend!

Thanks everyone, it really is a wonderful bass.

If anyone has an more info on this bass then please share as any info seems to be non-existent. It seems the bass is basically a Japanese JB66B bass but is a Fender's FSR (Fender Special Run) where Fender US has allowed a limited amount to be imported from Japan and sold in the US. I know 132 were imported into the states but I have no idea how many were available to Europe or the UK or at all. The spec also says it has Vintage Japan pickups but are these the JB VINTAGE (USA) as sold on some of the other Japan Fender Jazz basses or are they something else?

So any info is really appreciated.

Edited by Linus27