Why become a member? ×

Why put flats on a fancy bass?

thisnameistaken

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1388228182' post='2319620']
Hmm, kind of an interesting example, since he seems as happy gigging with a Squier Affinity as with his much coveted early Jazz. Though he's actually a TruBass 88 player, which will get Dad3353 dribbling again!
[/quote]

Mmm..! Black Nylon..!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:150404]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388231502' post='2319688']
Only using a car for getting from my house down a bumpy old road and on to my local town to park in a multi-storey car park i'd go for the Mondeo over a Ferrari every time. Much more versatile. Maybe it's the same with basses to some people.
[/quote]
Very true, and that is why I think Mondeo's are great cars and Fenders are great basses. I will admit however that on the rare occasions that I have been in close proximity to a Ferrari, or top of the range Alembics, my pulse has quickened!

I've tried flats on Sadowskys, Alembics, Foderas, Ritters etc. All, to one extent or another, could be described as 'hi fi'.

I've also used them on various vintage Fenders (J's & P's) plus Custom Shops and relatively basic US & Amex Fnders.

I've also played most of these with nickel rounds (I'm not much of a steel user).

Every one of them sounded different from each other whatever the strings fitted. Even near identical Fender P's from different eras can sound very different from each other despite having identical flats fitted. We actually ran this test recently with a '61P, '73P and a 2010 US Std P. There was a major difference in tone between each of them with flats fitted.

We then, just for fun, put the same flats on a Ritter - massively different tone and the 3 band onboard eq could certainly be heard working. Even in passive mode the Ritter sounded very different from the P Basses.

I guess my summary is that the core tone of an instrument means it's going to sound different whatever strings you fit and you can certainly get a huge range of different tones from an active hi-fi bass with flats :)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1388217348' post='2319499']
I don't get this at all, seriously, who cares who paid for it, if it has flats, or if he uses a pick?!

If someone has a bass which inspires them for whatever reason, whatever it costs (sound/looks/feel/whatever) then fair play to them IMO, and your implication that those using flats (and a *pick*, *gasp*!) should only use a cheap bass is insulting, particularly when directed at an established pro who has more justification for using high end equipment than most of us around here.

Back on topic, the main reason to put flats on a nice bass is that nice basses are easier to play, have better resonance and pickups leading to better tone, feel, and inspiration to play better (regardless of string type IMO).
[/quote]

I'm a friend of his son Chris Agnew (who is also a pro bass player). Next time I see him I'll ask him why his dad plays an Alembic, as opposed to a more conventional rock bass.

There are loads of different sounding flats so I can understand why you'd want to string expensive basses differently. The majority of flatwounds might be a little more limited in frequency range, but then some bass players will like the sound of flatwound strings on high end basses which I think I can understand. Flatwounds will also sound different from instrument to instrument.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1388217974' post='2319502']
Fender = Mondeo
Alembic = Ferrari
[/quote]

Fender = Mustang
Alembic = Dated supercar

Just my opinion too of course. I've played many instruments and never felt like the difference between a very high end bass or an 'off the shelf' Fender has impeded my playing, in any way whatsoever. It's a myth I think it's kind of pushed around by companies that are looking to sell more expensive instruments, and by the players of said instruments that might be trying to justify playing them, maybe some just critical of Fender. Your instrument shouldn't hinder you and luckily Fender has never hindered my playing.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1388257678' post='2320134']
Fender = Could be a Mondeo, could be a Mustang.
Alembic = Perhaps a dated supercar, but a supercar none-the-less.
[/quote]

Way off topic but I would say Fender = town runabout (but as the current incarnations of favourite basses came about in 1957 and 1962 ish - say Ford Popuar and Cortina deluxe) - the Alembic is a grand tourer in comparison - 1970s Ferrari would fit the bill!!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1388227326' post='2319603']
Rotosound Tru-Bass 88. Now [i]there's[/i] a string..! They last, not days, nor weeks, but generations (finger-style, of course; no-one uses a pick on bass, surely..? :huh: ). Round..? No. Flat..? No. [i]Smooth..![/i] Real bass tone. Best on Hofner Verithin, but available for lesser basses, if one really must. Strings for snobs..? Nah..! :mellow:

Mmm..! Black Nylon..!
[/quote]

Just for your viewing pleasure. Rotosound Trubass 88s on a fretless SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320:

[url="http://whttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pahttp://www.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/9873394375/in/photostream/#ulnattress/9873394375/in/photostream/#ww.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/9873394375"][/url]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1388259956' post='2320178']
Just for your viewing pleasure. Rotosound Trubass 88s on a fretless SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320:

[url="http://whttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pahttp://www.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/9873394375/in/photostream/#ulnattress/9873394375/in/photostream/#ww.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/9873394375"][/url]
[/quote]

Yes..! [i]That's[/i] a bass..! Not hollow-bodied, but getting closer. Slapping..? Nah, not for me..! :D

Right enough is enough!! :D

How do the Trubass 88s compared to Fender 58-110 nylon tapewounds? I've got the Fenders on a fretless and love the feel and was going to get another set for my main bass but the 88s seem to get a lot of love.

I don't know if this is allowed but I asked a string question in 'Accessories and misc' but it's like going down the pub and trying to order a pint in the bog, so I'm going to link it here as it vaguely related to my question here, I hope no one minds :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225608-will-strings-change-the-tone-with-under-saddle-pus/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225608-will-strings-change-the-tone-with-under-saddle-pus/[/url]

Anyway back on topic, why put clanky rounds on a fancy bass? :P

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1388257678' post='2320134']
Fender = Could be a Mondeo, could be a Mustang.
Alembic = Perhaps a dated supercar, but a supercar none-the-less.
[/quote]

I was just lending a bit balanced opinion to the argument, the car thing might be a bit far fetched! Although if the comparison is apt then we should have seen a lot more race car drivers have historically significant success driving exclusively Ford Mondeos :)

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1388260792' post='2320200']
I was just lending a bit balanced opinion to the argument, the car thing might be a bit far fetched! Although if the comparison is apt then we should have seen a lot more race car drivers have historically significant success driving exclusively Ford Mondeos :)
[/quote]

That's very true my friend. The comparisons are interesting though :)

I'm guessing the OP hasn't had much experience using flats? I used to use round wounds on every bass I had until about 2 years ago. I decided to make the plunge to try out flats and fell in love with D'Addario Chromes. They are surprisingly bright and like most flats have that distinctive luscious, phat and warm low end nearly all tone conscious bass players strive for. They take a good few months of playing to make them loosen up and lose their tacky feel , but once they're played in I find it hard to use a set of any other type of string. The only basses I own that doesn't have Chromes on are my Jazz, which is fitted with Elixir Stainless steels, and my fretless that has TI flats on.

Edited by Smythe

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1388217348' post='2319499']
I don't get this at all, seriously, who cares who paid for it, if it has flats, or if he uses a pick?!

If someone has a bass which inspires them for whatever reason, whatever it costs (sound/looks/feel/whatever) then fair play to them IMO, and your implication that those using flats (and a *pick*, *gasp*!) should only use a cheap bass is insulting, particularly when directed at an established pro who has more justification for using high end equipment than most of us around here.

Back on topic, the main reason to put flats on a nice bass is that nice basses are easier to play, have better resonance and pickups leading to better tone, feel, and inspiration to play better (regardless of string type IMO).
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1388431123' post='2321947']
Flats offer a different range of sounds, rather than a limited range, and take you into a different kind of playability.
[/quote]

This.

Flats on my '97 Modulus Flea were a revelation, an incredible tone, and one completely unavailable with rounds. Same is true in varying degrees with flats on my 'Rays, Rics and Precisions. The only comparison I can think of is that of nylon and steel string guitars, the tone of a good nylon string guitar is wonderful and completely impossible to achieve with steels.

Folks who assume that flats/nylons sound similar to old/worn rounds/steels need to listen more closely. It's a matter of quality (tonal character) not quantity (tonal range).

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1388435796' post='2322034']
Folks who assume that flats/nylons sound similar to old/worn rounds/steels need to listen more closely. It's a matter of quality (tonal character) not quantity (tonal range).
[/quote]

No I totally get why people use flats, I've got one bass I keep strung with flats for when I want that sound, it's just it's a pretty primitive sort of sound isn't it, so you don't need an expensive bass to get it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1388437593' post='2322060']
No I totally get why people use flats, I've got one bass I keep strung with flats for when I want that sound, it's just it's a pretty primitive sort of sound isn't it, so you don't need an expensive bass to get it.
[/quote]
You could say the same for the clanky full-on Precision sound.

EDIT: with rounds of course!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1388437593' post='2322060']

[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more :(

Flats can sound amazing on a, supposedly, hi-fi bass and a million miles away from how they sound on a basic P bass :)

Plenty of other people here seem to agree with this and have been using them on expensive active instruments with great success :)