Why become a member? ×

A tribute act to a covers band?

molan

There's a particularly good covers band I know that take reasonably well known funk and soul songs and cover them with a bit of a different twist and feel.

There's now another band who are basically covering the songs the covers band play - right down to the same arrangements and feel!

The second band often go to watch the first band play in order to cop the arrangements properly (obviously a lot of them aren't available to buy). They also tend to make out that they are playing their own original arrangements because, of course, not many people have actually heard the first band's versions.

Apart from finding ithis all slightly odd I wondered if this makes the latter band effectively a 'tribute' act to the former :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1387031251' post='2307592']
There's a particularly good covers band I know that take reasonably well known funk and soul songs and cover them with a bit of a different twist and feel.

There's now another band who are basically covering the songs the covers band play - right down to the same arrangements and feel!

The second band often go to watch the first band play in order to cop the arrangements properly (obviously a lot of them aren't available to buy). They also tend to make out that they are playing their own original arrangements because, of course, not many people have actually heard the first band's versions.

Apart from finding ithis all slightly odd I wondered if this makes the latter band effectively a 'tribute' act to the former :)
[/quote]
Probably best to ask the acknowledged authority on this matter to be sure – I’m sure that Bilbo will be along shortly…

:huh: In all my living days, etc.

I mean, we've all copped the occasional idea from other local outfits. One band I was in, the sax player would finish the song with a solo then name-check the guy from whom he'd lifted one of his passages.

TBH, this particular cover-trib farrago seems wrong on so many levels. And who'd want to be the person to articulate the proposition to the rest of the band. "The Flying Cobblers always pull a good crowd. Let's steal their act and pretend it's all our own idea." I'd just walk away.

Smacks of desperation to me, but there may be some bizarre explanation, e.g. evil twin brother sets up clone band in attempt to steal his sibling's life. Sort of like in Knightrider except Garthe wasn't really Michael's brother.

[size=3]Can [b][i]you[/i] [/b]spot the evil twin? [/size]

[size=3].[/size] Edited by skankdelvar

Back when I was a teenager and my band was doing really well on the local pub scene we noticed that another local band made up of lads who'd been in the year below us at school and came to see us play regularly, were playing almost the same set as us. Didn't work too well for them though as they played the same places as us and the punters soon noticed and started joking that they were just a tribute to our band. Ironically though, years later, their drummer joined our band and played with its for about 3 years.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1387141729' post='2308708']
Sorry if I've missed it but what kind of gigs are both bands doing ?
[/quote]

Mostly funk - sometimes funked up versions of rockier material.

First band are good enough to get a paying audience. 2nd aren't but are trying to get function and corporate type bookings.

Edited by molan

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1387137790' post='2308600']

Yeah, it is a bit bunny boiler
[/quote]

That's what I think.

The Twitter thing is really odd. It seems like band A have much more of a following and band B are trying to somehow directly associate themselves with band A to maybe get some of their 'fans' to go and see them as well.

It's all really odd.

Plus band B are really pushing themselves as being "something a bit different", lol.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's we had another band that would turn up to most of our gigs and 'nick' the songs we were doing. It got a little tedious, but luckily most people realised, and besides we did them better.

Also we had another band start up with an astoundingly similar-sounding name and similar set list to ours. Luckily they were crap and didn't last long.

<irony>Oh to be an innovator in covering other peoples' songs...</irony>

I've seen this a thousand times...... It's really quite common where one band are really successful at what they do and other bands will copy the formula. This does sound to the extreme but it's not uncommon. As musicians/artists it's not something we would readily admit and I bet the second band aren't even fully aware of the extent to which they are ripping the first band off but I think we are all a little bit guilty of it. When I started putting bands together years ago I was into the whole Jim Morrison thing I had the hair and the trousers and affected his drawl. Morrison wasn't very popular during that era so it went largely unnoticed. However flash forward 5 years and the doors had a massive rebirth and every lead singer in the country was a Jim Morrison wannabe. By this time the band i was in had a massive set list of thin lizzy, Rory Galagher, the doors, the who and on and on. This music became very popular again and very quickly you had dozens of bands in our area with identical set lists to us almost overnight. What we were doing was working and people wanted a slice of it. I guess what I'm trying to express is that sometimes when it's hard to find your own voice or style in this business a lot of people will turn to whats popular or works so that they can still be involved in music whilst finding a style or method that suits them best. I know I've done it.

I think if you play in covers bands it's not uncommon to nick the odd song or two from other bands, I know we used to do it, and have it done to us. Can't get too sniffy about it as we're all ripping off the originals.But a whole set of different arrangments ? That does sound a bit weird.

Weirdest instance I've had was when a local covers band (who were much better than us when we started and who we got on really well with) nicked a couple of 'our tunes' after we'd had a couple of theirs. Weird bit was we took some good stuff from them, they took an awful slap bass/death metal version of 'No Limits' by 2 Unlimited from us (which is a bit worrying really in hindsight, was [u]that[/u] our best track?) :shok:

The band I'm in have a resident room and the week after we've tried out new songs(covers) the band in the adjoining room can be heard playing the same tunes as the ones we tested the week before!! The odd song could be coincidence as they were quite common but when we learnt The Osmonds' Crazy Horses for a party then heard it through the wall the following week we KNEW they were set stealing :D