Why become a member? ×

Barefaced. Now's your chance!!

Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387368648' post='2311106']
By all accounts the '69er is based on the Ampeg 810 sound-wise, but without the fridge-type size and mass. I've yet to hear one, but Bertbass replaced his Carvin 810 with one and he says it's the suspended spuds of a canine and then some.
[/quote]

I AB'd my Matamp 212 cab with Jacks 69'er at the recent bash. Very little in it. Sounded much the same, my Matamp has very heavy ferrite Celestions tho but.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1387365501' post='2311061']
Look how much BF gear comes up in amps for sale... we are almost to a man (and woman) a right fickle bunch of gits.
[/quote]

Indeed. I can't believe that I nearly sold my Compact to fund the purchase of a Genz cab! :o Fortunately the buyer was very understanding when I changed my mind... :)

Why is it that we can be sublimely happy with our gear, but still look at the ads section and be tempted by stuff that is less good than what we already have?? :gas:

I need to play more gigs so I have less time to spend in Basschat's marketplace!! :blush:

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387365732' post='2311070']
The reason I don't lust after one is that by all accounts they are very crisp, HiFi sounding cabs[/quote]

A common mistake. Not at all true. There are a variety from which to select your favoured tonal palette :)

BF was born in part out of online forum discussions about DIYing a better speaker... think that history makes it more prone to certain types of criticism/hyperbole on here. Especially when that scene was all about addressing shortcomings in mainstream commercial designs, meaning they were vocally critical of said designs!

I've been (somewhat harshly) critical of Alex on here in the past, as I think he sometimes comes unstuck when he tries to speak 'marketing-ese'. But he seems to offer a very tailored, honest service in terms of one-to-one advice, and his belief in his product is backed up by very sound engineering/design practice. I've built a fair few speakers starting as a child in the 90s, and run a ton of live sound systems, a field where design advances tended to be implemented far earlier than in basscabland, more expensive components were commonplace, and good operator technical understanding is a prerequisite. I don't own a BF cab, but feel I know enough about speakers to say I wouldn't bother buying any commercial cab [i]except[/i] Barefaced. Does it make me a fanboi if I can back it up with explanation? Oh & I can always change the screws for black ones... :D

Main criticism I'd level at BF cabs btw, is that they are probably overkill in many situations! Most common amps people are using won't push them to the limits, and the popularity of the 212s suggests people underestimate how loud a single-driver cab would go, clean, driven by the right amp (or I guess they don't have the right amp).

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1387377852' post='2311276']
BF cabs... are probably overkill in many situations! Most common amps people are using won't push them to the limits, and the popularity of the 212s suggests people underestimate how loud a single-driver cab would go, clean, driven by the right amp (or I guess they don't have the right amp).[/quote]

Is it a Good Thing to push [i]any[/i] cab to its limits? :huh:

Some people prefer the twin and multi-speakered cabs because they are taller. OK, dispersion may or may not be better - but sometimes, having your amp higher off the ground is a priority as it makes it more accessible without having to put the cab on top of something and lose low end... Just an observation.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387375408' post='2311229']
Perhaps I just read too many of the 'HiFi' opinions in a row!
[/quote]

I think some people (myself included at times) have been guilty of using the word "Hi-Fi" to mean slightly different things... :blush:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1387383620' post='2311363']
Is it a Good Thing to push [i]any[/i] cab to its limits? :huh:
[/quote]
Ha! Yeah fair, by 'to the limits' I don't mean 'to the point of breaking'...I mean to the maximum it'll reach before output quality starts to fall, ie 'comfortably' as Chris has said. If the drivers perform as claimed I'd feel safe using a 1000w-into-8 ohm amp if I had a sub filter on there. The margins in pro PA are often a lot less generous than this!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1387383620' post='2311363']
Some people prefer the twin and multi-speakered cabs because they are taller. OK, dispersion may or may not be better - but sometimes, having your amp higher off the ground is a priority as it makes it more accessible without having to put the cab on top of something and lose low end... Just an observation.
[/quote]

Yup and that's where the drivers themselves could be seen as overkill... plenty of fairly typical PA drivers will do a nice enough job if you're prepared to use a 212 config IMO and they'd be cheaper, and potentially even lighter! If that wasn't true you wouldn't see so many people so satisfied with other brands versus BF, they just don't need what the BF offers

I would definitely like to try the 69er with my Trace Elliot V6.

I've never been that intrigued by the smaller cabs (Compact/Midget) and had already own half-decent mid-sized cabs so the Super 12 etc have never been something I have felt the need to try as I never really budget for new cabs like budget for instruments and pedals. Barefaced definitely offer something different in the marketplace though and I personally think that some of the designs are really cool, even if not what I am looking for myself.

Some of fanboy antics on the thread can be a bit annoying when the 'Barefaced' is given as an answer to every 'what cab should I get?' thread, but I suppose those recommendations are made by those who really believe in the product, so I really don't have any problem with it.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1387377852' post='2311276']
BF was born in part out of online forum discussions about DIYing a better speaker... think that history makes it more prone to certain types of criticism/hyperbole on here. Especially when that scene was all about addressing shortcomings in mainstream commercial designs, meaning they were vocally critical of said designs!

I've been (somewhat harshly) critical of Alex on here in the past, as I think he sometimes comes unstuck when he tries to speak 'marketing-ese'. But he seems to offer a very tailored, honest service in terms of one-to-one advice, and his belief in his product is backed up by very sound engineering/design practice. I've built a fair few speakers starting as a child in the 90s, and run a ton of live sound systems, a field where design advances tended to be implemented far earlier than in basscabland, more expensive components were commonplace, and good operator technical understanding is a prerequisite. I don't own a BF cab, but feel I know enough about speakers to say I wouldn't bother buying any commercial cab [i]except[/i] Barefaced. Does it make me a fanboi if I can back it up with explanation? Oh & I can always change the screws for black ones... :D

Main criticism I'd level at BF cabs btw, is that they are probably overkill in many situations! Most common amps people are using won't push them to the limits, and the popularity of the 212s suggests people underestimate how loud a single-driver cab would go, clean, driven by the right amp (or I guess they don't have the right amp).
[/quote] this is the most sensible post i've read about barefaced for about 3 months.

OK my Super Twin arrived on Friday, and all I can say is that I love it!! Light as anything, fabulous tone, amazing power. I am a giddy happy bassist.

If people don't like them, that's their prerogative, but I am firmly in the Hell Yeah camp now. It's is AWESOME!!!

Didn't think a piece of bass equipment could make me so happy! lol!

I'm listening to our rehearsal recording from this morning and my bass sounds amazing, so clear, so much clarity.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1387723702' post='2314890']
OK my Super Twin arrived on Friday, and all I can say is that I love it!! Light as anything, fabulous tone, amazing power. I am a giddy happy bassist.

If people don't like them, that's their prerogative, but I am firmly in the Hell Yeah camp now. It's is AWESOME!!!

I'm listening to our rehearsal recording from this morning and my bass sounds amazing, so clear, so much clarity.

[/quote]

I just saw the pic on Facebook of you grinning next to your new cab, exactly the same reaction that I had when my midgets arrived, I still grin like a loon when I get them to a gig and crank the volume up!

Matt

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1387838055' post='2316424']
I voted for not giving a monkeys if people want to buy a Barefaced or whatever it may be it is there choice so it has nothing to do with anyone else anyway
[/quote]

Vote? What vote? What are you on about?

Bit late to the party here. I'm a cabinet maker by trade.I have built cabs for years. I used to build high end hifi gear. I now build BFM cabs to order amongst many other things. I have owned BF cabs and purely out of curiosity I have opened them up for a peek inside. They are very very well made - far better than most big brand cabs I have taken apart. They have clearly been exceptionaly well developed. They are very transparent and very loud. Alex knows his stuff and personally I'd happily buy from him. Price wise they are very competitive when put alongside other stuff built this well.
Do I use one? No. I found a sound I love elsewhere but I would have no hesitation in trying barefaced cabs again.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1387723702' post='2314890']

[/quote]

Excellent! Any plans to bring your Pink Floyd band to Swindon? Both the Vic and Riffs Bar do tribute bands.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1388047120' post='2318012']
Bit late to the party here. I'm a cabinet maker by trade.I have built cabs for years. I used to build high end hifi gear. I now build BFM cabs to order amongst many other things. I have owned BF cabs and purely out of curiosity I have opened them up for a peek inside. They are very very well made - far better than most big brand cabs I have taken apart. They have clearly been exceptionaly well developed. They are very transparent and very loud. Alex knows his stuff and personally I'd happily buy from him. Price wise they are very competitive when put alongside other stuff built this well.
Do I use one? No. I found a sound I love elsewhere but I would have no hesitation in trying barefaced cabs again.
[/quote]

That's good to know, and tbh exactly what us users want hear!