Why become a member? ×

Barefaced. Now's your chance!!

Conan

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1386860636' post='2305542']
Funny, and hence why i'm still the only person that went for option 10 :P
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386853082' post='2305342']

Confusion, confusion!!
[/quote]
The thread is about barefaced, the Simplexx cabs are designed by Bill Fitzmaurice and are nothing to do with barefaced. I wasn't sure why you referenced the Simplexx...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386852849' post='2305335']
I have chosen most of the poll options to reflect opinions I have already seen expressed in a number of threads relating to BF/BF products.
[/quote]

That's the problem to my mind, you're possibly suggesting opinions people wouldn't otherwise have. You've also put more than one idea per selection, which means that I can't select, for example 'not tried them' without also selecting 'don't fancy them' with also selecting 'cheap looking but expensive' (not that I would select this of course). I've had a long week so perhaps I'm being a prat, but if i were Alex I probably wouldn't be overly happy about this thread, and given it's his (and I assume his family's) livelihood, it seems inappropriate. If he posts saying that he's happy, I'll accept that I am after all being a prat. Not for the first time :rolleyes:

I will add that the last person with whom I discussed BF cabs offered an extraordinary level of detailed criticism, yet on further discussion it was evident that he'd never played one or even seen one, he'd just read a few threads on here. I do see your point re a definitive answer, I'm not sure this is the way to get it, as a lot of the responses will be from similarly uninformed (or poorly informed) people, whichever way they choose to vote.

C [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#5a5a5a"][size=3] [/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1386874630' post='2305858']

The thread is about barefaced, the Simplexx cabs are designed by Bill Fitzmaurice and are nothing to do with barefaced. I wasn't sure why you referenced the Simplexx...
[/quote]

Bf bf bf bf bf bf bf....

I was fair in my vote. I've tried a Compact, and gigged it.

I would personally like to understand the pricing structure VS TKS, which offer similar cabs, with very luxurious finishes, and have to be imported. Its hard to compare models, but the TKS cabs are actually cheaper and they come from Sweden. But, that is my curiosity, and no one has to even think of answering that!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386875289' post='2305871']
That's the problem to my mind, you're possibly suggesting opinions people wouldn't otherwise have. You've also put more than one idea per selection, which means that I can't select, for example 'not tried them' without also selecting 'don't fancy them' with also selecting 'cheap looking but expensive' (not that I would select this of course). I've had a long week so perhaps I'm being a prat, but if i were Alex I probably wouldn't be overly happy about this thread, and given it's his (and I assume his family's) livelihood, it seems inappropriate. If he posts saying that he's happy, I'll accept that I am after all being a prat. Not for the first time :rolleyes:

[i]I will add that the last person with whom I discussed BF cabs offered an extraordinary level of detailed criticism, yet on further discussion it was evident that he'd never played one or even seen one, he'd just read a few threads on here.[/i] I do see your point re a definitive answer, I'm not sure this is the way to get it, as a lot of the responses will be from similarly uninformed (or poorly informed) people, whichever way they choose to vote.

C
[/quote] crap, we're turning into talkbass!
I agree with Beedster's post though - this constant critiquing of Bf is getting a bit dull. Some people play Fender Jazz basses, others Warwick, Others Sadowsky, and BigredX something odd - surely we can get over the fact that not everyone wants or likes any one brand of bass we can apply that to amplification as well?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386883133' post='2306055']
I was fair in my vote. I've tried a Compact, and gigged it.

I would personally like to understand the pricing structure VS TKS, which offer similar cabs, with very luxurious finishes, and have to be imported. Its hard to compare models, but the TKS cabs are actually cheaper and they come from Sweden. But, that is my curiosity, and no one has to even think of answering that!
[/quote] Well to really answer that you would need both cabs, of similar types and some sort of way of testing them scientifically. Which I think only speaker builders and a few others would have the gear to do accurate tests. Any and all other answers would just be subjective- so without that look at the way the speakers are marketed- TKS seem to be marketed as being pretty and BF as being well engineered with their own custom drivers.... maybe one spends the money on custom drivers and the other on vinyl, maybe a latte in sweden is cheaper than in brighton? maybe Plywood is cheaper one place or the other? I've no idea.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386883133' post='2306055']
I would personally like to understand the pricing structure VS TKS, which offer similar cabs, with very luxurious finishes, [/quote]

Well, I took three cabs to my band rehearsal on wednesday - two TKS and my Compact. I tried all three separately and all possible combinations of them together (except all three, of course!).

To cut a long story (or review) short - the TKS cabs were significantly heavier. They sounded good, but (to my ears) not [i]as[/i] good as the Compact. My bandmates agreed with this too.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at the TKS range. Yes, there are funky finishes (all at extra cost!). Yes, they offer the choice of Neo or ceramic drivers. But unless my currency conversions are way out, they are only cheaper when you look at the bottom of their range - the little 112s. Everything else is, more or less, similar in price to its Barefaced equivalent. And that's [i]before[/i] shipping costs.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386875289' post='2305871']
That's the problem to my mind, you're possibly suggesting opinions people wouldn't otherwise have. You've also put more than one idea per selection, which means that I can't select, for example 'not tried them' without also selecting 'don't fancy them' with also selecting 'cheap looking but expensive' (not that I would select this of course). If I were Alex I probably wouldn't be overly happy about this thread, and given it's his (and I assume his family's) livelihood, it seems inappropriate.

I will add that the last person with whom I discussed BF cabs offered an extraordinary level of detailed criticism, yet on further discussion it was evident that he'd never played one or even seen one, he'd just read a few threads on here.[/quote]

I hope it doesn't come across as inappropriate. I have taken into account how (I think) Alex may feel about this, and would be perfectly happy to remove it (or ask a mod to) if he took umbrage. As someone else said though, it is a form of publicity - and that is rarely a bad thing. Not trying to sound flippant or dismissive there...

I totally agree about the critics who have no actual experience of the products. Or who have tried one for a few minutes in their house but never gigged one in anger. I think because Alex has been so open and transparent about his products, everyone who reads a couple of posts feels like an expert. And says so. Ad nauseam... <_<

I am genuinely interested in the results of the poll, but I have no plans to "do" anything with them. If they are of any use to anyone (BC or BF) then it will have been a worthwhile exercise. If not, it will still have been interesting and a bit of fun. No harm intended. :)

I've added another poll choice which will hopefully fit your criteria better. :)

Edited by Conan

I own a BF cab and an ACG custom bass (get me and my sophisticated tastes!). I'm genuinely bemused - when you could say they were similar types of companies in terms of their approach to their (obviously completely different) products - why the former attracts such rabidly, schizophrenically differing opinions and the latter much less so. They are both small, passionate producers of their esoteric product, who invest a huge amount of time in continually identifying and developing incremental improvements and, as such, I applaud them both. Both could say their product is the best it possibly can be right now, and it is produced with little concession or deference to their buyers' budgets - within reason. If someone else doesn't 'like' my BF cab or my ACG bass that's up to you, but, you know what, I don't like your hair or your tee shirt, because my hair and my tee shirt are better. How do you like them apples? Couldn't give sh*t? Good for you because you know what, I really don't give much of a toss that you don't care for my cab or bass either. Can we all go to sleep now?

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1386926048' post='2306401']
I own a BF cab and an ACG custom bass (get me and my sophisticated tastes!). I'm genuinely bemused - when you could say they were similar types of companies in terms of their approach to their (obviously completely different) products - why the former attracts such rabidly, schizophrenically differing opinions and the latter much less so. [/quote]

I'm starting to see a pattern emerge here. I could be wrong of course, but that doesn't normally stop people on here voicing their opinions! :yarr:

Trawling back through some (most) of the Barefaced threads, there are some BC members who like to bait and antagonise Alex Claber. Several of these threads would have ended in horrendous arguments if Alex had defended his product as vehemently as those members attacked them. That he doesn't is a credit to him. B)

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy now - which I am not. I have never met Alex or even spoken to him. Equally, I am not a fan of the belligerent approach that these keyboard warriors adopt in order to score personal points. :angry:

Owner of S12V. Weekend warrior doing 40/50 gigs per annum.
Wasn't convinced at first having gone from a Schroeder 410.
Bit of advice from Alex re EQ/amp/basses and it all works superbly for me now, about 40 gigs in.
I hope it will be the last cab I use.
edited, bloody spelling :blush:

Edited by karlfer

They aren't the only cab around ..... but there are too many fanboi threads for a product that doesn't really register
in the big wide bass world...
You don't see it on stages and its market in the pub world.
If it serves your purpose then put it on your list.

IMO, of course..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386945046' post='2306689']
...but there are too many fanboi threads for a product that doesn't really register in the big wide bass world...
[/quote]

Yes indeed and I'm wondering just why that is as Alex's order book is full, his lead time is 8-12 weeks and he is struggling to make enough cabs to meet demand - both in the UK and internationally.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386945046' post='2306689']
They aren't the only cab around ..... a product that doesn't really register in the big wide bass world...
You don't see it on stages and its market in the pub world.
[/quote]

To be fair though, how many young, one-man companies have their products regularly displayed on big stages? And aren't a lot of those cabs mainly there because of sponsorship/endorsement deals? Or supplied by the venues themselves? And isn't the largest market of [i]all[/i] cab manufacturers the pub/club market? By sales?

So it's not really a fair comparison.

And of course they're not the only cab around - nobody said they were! :huh: But as a relatively new, UK-made product that is trying to be something a little bit different - I think the discussion is justified.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1386947975' post='2306721']
I wonder how many people would still use Barefaced if they were in a large, well paid touring band with roadies to do all the lifting...
[/quote]

Dunno! I'd like to be in the position of having to make that decision! B) I suspect your roadies would love you... but your accountant might not! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386922935' post='2306362']
I hope it doesn't come across as inappropriate. I have taken into account how (I think) Alex may feel about this, and would be perfectly happy to remove it (or ask a mod to) if he took umbrage. As someone else said though, it is a form of publicity - and that is rarely a bad thing. Not trying to sound flippant or dismissive there...

I totally agree about the critics who have no actual experience of the products. Or who have tried one for a few minutes in their house but never gigged one in anger. I think because Alex has been so open and transparent about his products, everyone who reads a couple of posts feels like an expert. And says so. Ad nauseam... <_<

I am genuinely interested in the results of the poll, but I have no plans to "do" anything with them. If they are of any use to anyone (BC or BF) then it will have been a worthwhile exercise. If not, it will still have been interesting and a bit of fun. No harm intended. :)

I've added another poll choice which will hopefully fit your criteria better. :)
[/quote]

Fair enough Conan, I was probably over-reacting. Having said this, there's a lot of people would say that the old 'no such thing as bad publicity' maxim lost much of its merit with the advent of the internet, when bad publicity can hang around a very long time. I'm sure both Alex and various mods are keeping a keen eye on this thread anyway :rolleyes:

Cheers

C