Why become a member? ×

regular swapping between two basses during gig

steve-bbb

soooooo, ive made a bit of a rod for my own back by using the fretless for about 40% of our set list and the fretted for the remainder

this naturally involves several switches of bass during the gig

what are you thoughts please on ideal/bestest way to achieve smooth changeover is it possible to avoid the cracks and bumps of pulling jack plugs out and in faffing around with turning vol up and down etc which is what im having to do at the moment as a dirty workaround

do i need a line selector box or a/b box or something?

i have two basses, both passive one fretted one fretless >>>> run the signal through a handful of boss pedals in a chain >.>>> into the passive input on my hartke head

ideas please? ta muchly peeps :)

Edited by steve-bbb

I do this, both Jazz basses, one fretted one fretless.

1. Same straplocks on both basses (the Fender ones work best for me)
2. A/B pedal, both basses plugged in to it. the one I have has a 'mute all' switch and an A/B switch with LEDs (just to avoid panic setting in)
3. two (or one double) stands

MUTE Unclip bass 1 (leave strap on shoulder - trust me it's quicker), place on empty stand, pick up bass 2 and clip on (A/B flip), You're ready to go.

Usually I can change-over while the audience finishes clapping just in time for singer to announce next song. On a good day I can sneak in a quick sip of water (or whatever you like) too.

Line selector sounds good, as does a Zoom B3. That way you can set up various patches for your sounds with the fretted bass, and then duplicate them for the sounds with your fretless, keeping the levels the same. Depending on how many pedals you use the Zoom may be able to do all of it in one box, so reduce setting up time as well.

It really depends on the size of the stage I'm playing on.

For a small stage I have a mute button on my amp that I press as I start to swap basses.
If I'm due an instrument swap, I'm walking back to my amp as soon as I play the last note and I'm good to go within 5 seconds.

On larger stages, that walk can take up valuable time, so I just use an AB box sat next to various weaponry. :)

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1386918421' post='2306334']
I use a Boss LS-2 which are readily available second hand. You can match the levels of your two basses and it allows a variety of functions well beyond the normal A B box.
[/quote]

thanks - i was looking at the pdf user manual on the bossus site for the LS-2 and it does look pretty versaitle

• 2 weeks later...

Using a wireless, secure transmitter to belt, switch off to change, unplug and swap, plug in and switch on.

Using a standard lead, either I use a switched jack (but make sure that the switch operates cleanly and reliably) or switch my multiFX into tuner/mute mode.

And the straps stay on. Quicker and less fumble-prone than keeping the same strap.

I just use an A/B box as my live basses are both passive Precision basses so there's no need to worry about draining the battery.

I have both of them left plugged in, leave one on a stand with it's strap on and cable in then just swap it over and hit the button on the A/B box, no pops or crackles that way either. When I start using wireless again, i'll keep the A/B box with 2 cables in my set up as a back up in case of a wireless failure (i've had it happen, such a pain in the backside!)

*edit* it's easy enough to build an A/B box too, I did it myself and i'll happily supply the wiring diagram i used

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist