Why become a member? ×

NBD! Not all roses......It is now :-) Ibanez Premium Content

ezbass

My new Ibanez SR1605 that I only ordered yesterday has arrived and it plays and sounds just the ticket.

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/SR1605_zpsd5639d98.jpg.html"][/url]

However, for a 'Premium' bass I'm a bit disappointed with the finish in places; am I being too picky? Either way Headstock are getting an email.

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/1605pu_zpsb457bcfa.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/1605neck_zpsf2cd0923.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385821675' post='2292543']
Not good.

Ibanez or their distributer will probably claim that the ragged edge is due to the nature of the top wood used, but IMO if you can't get a smooth cut edge out of the wood it shouldn't be used for making instruments.
[/quote]

I think that's probably a fair call.

Always best to trust your instinct on calls like this - if you feel unsure about it, then you don't need us to tell you.

Not good.

Ibanez or their distributer will probably claim that the ragged edge is due to the nature of the top wood used, but IMO if you can't get a smooth cut edge out of the wood it shouldn't be used for making instruments.
[/quote]

Some of the edging is smooth and some isn't. I put that down to bad workmanship I am sure ibanez would change that for you in an instant

As said before not acceptable on a budget or premium instrument

I've had plenty of these through the shop and not one has had a neck join like that.

Unfortunately, this seems like an exception to the rule.

The guys at headstock are decent folk; return it to the retailer and go from there - I think you'll get sorted.

I've actually been amazed at these basses - if I thought I'd use one I'd have one in the house right now.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1385899151' post='2293259']

Unfortunately, this seems like an exception to the rule.

The guys at headstock are decent folk; return it to the retailer and go from there - I think you'll get sorted.
[/quote]Good to know, thanks.

I used to know a guy at Headstock, I don't know if he's still there, but they all seemed like top chaps and my email was not confrontational, just one of disappointment really (not Headstock or the retailer's fault after all, just one that slipped through the QC net). I CC'ed the retailer in as well so that everyone will be in on the whole process and it is they who will probably deal with me directly.

First up; the supportive nature of BC never fails to amaze me, thanks guys :) anyway...........

Ibanez or their distributer will probably claim that the ragged edge is due to the nature of the top wood used
[/quote]
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1385899151' post='2293259']
The guys at headstock are decent folk; return it to the retailer and go from there - I think you'll get it sorted.
[/quote]
Both the distributor and the retailer have independently said that this is not acceptable and have apologised profusely. They will now liaise to bring about a suitable resolution. I love good service and will promote the companies who provide it vociferously. In the meantime I have spent some good time playing it and can report that if I had really poor eyesight I would be a pretty happy camper right now. Watch this space for more news.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1386004877' post='2294537']
First up; the supportive nature of BC never fails to amaze me, thanks guys :) anyway...........

Both the distributor and the retailer have independently said that this is not acceptable and have apologised profusely. They will now liaise to bring about a suitable resolution. I love good service and will promote the companies who provide it vociferously. In the meantime I have spent some good time playing it and can report that if I had really poor eyesight I would be a pretty happy camper right now. Watch this space for more news.
[/quote]

I can't see what they can do other than to either offer you a massive discount as the bass is essentially a second (although I don't know if either Ibanez or their distributor would want the bass out there in that condition) or to replace it with one that has been finished properly. I don't think I would want contemplate any other solutions - there's certainly no easy repair for the problem that I'd be happy with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a discount was offered but it wasn't enough for me to decide to keep the above bass, so I picked up a replacement today......

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/SR1605-2_zps80e20b2c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/SR1605-2_zps80e20b2c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Massive big up to Guitar Guitar and Headstock for making what could've been a tortuous experience into something very easy to resolve, if only every retailer (not just ones in the musical musical instrument field) was this accommodating.

I tried the bass with my band and I am very impressed. It has a very wide range of tones with a very nicely rounded bottom end (ooh er!) with a smooth delivery. However, dig in just a little bit and this bass really growls, I was playing Owner Of A Lonely Heart with a pick and I was amazed by the change in attitude; I like this very much. 2-3 hours later and I was really appreciating the lightness of the bass and my left was particularly enjoying the slimmer neck width than on my Lakland. So all well that ends well :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386710511' post='2303576']
Personally I think the new one has a nicer looking top wood. Glad it's all worked out fine in the end.
[/quote]Cheers :) Yeah this one has definitely has more burl and curl; when I saw the pictures that GG sent beforehand I was a bit worried it might be a bit too figured as I rather liked the more understated figuring on the previous one, but in the flesh this one is rather nice. All set up now and a quick run through an amp (too late for a good bash; neighbours and all that) reveals that it might be a bit more pokey than the last one.