Why become a member? ×

What most influences your buying decisions

jonunders

Hi ,

What factors most influence you when making a purchase.
To give an example I have found two basses which I would enjoy owning as my main bass
They are both about the same price, comfortable to play, feel right.
One is a Dingwall Combustion, entry level bass and the other is an Ibanez SR4005
prestige level bass.
Should the fact that one is an entry level and the other a prestige be an influence,
How can you tell the difference in quality, If there is any.

Jonathan

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1382581482' post='2253976']
....One is a Dingwall Combustion, entry level bass and the other is an Ibanez SR4005
prestige level bass....[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't this like saying "entry level Ferrari or a prestige level Ford"?

Not that there's anything wrong with Ibanez. They're great basses and provide fantastic instruments at all levels (IMHO).

In any case, assuming they both look equally equally easy on the eye, my choice would be to try playing both. I may find I can't get to grips with Dingwalls fret layout. Find what gives the best tone, ease of action etc.

I think also at this level I'd be inclined to take a small allen key and make any small adjustments to the set-up too, whilst trying. If I'm looking to pay £1000 I don't expect to have to imagine what the action would be like if it were right for me.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382583960' post='2253979']
And as an aside, I like Ibanez basses but feel the Prestige isn't much better than the SR -- which is a 1/4 of the price.
[/quote]

I have a SR505 and a SR1000ewn prestige. The prestige is a lot better than my SR, and the price difference wasn't 4 times, closer to 2. And for that price, the prestige was better value for money than the SR.

But maybe that is the difference between my two. I would not let the name and label decide what you were getting, I got them because I saw them and really wanted them, which is the decider.
When I got my fretless I compared the squire and the fender while prepared to buy either, but preferred the squire so bought it.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1382606275' post='2254178']
Feel and quality of the neck. The look. Cost. Balance. Manufacturer. General tone.
[/quote]

I go with all of that but not necessarily in that order.

If, once you've gone through the above, you are still undecided, the coin toss/freebie theories apply.

Edited by Nick Riffed

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382596304' post='2254005']
My buying decisions are utterly irrational...

It pretty much goes :

Oooo look a shiny new bass....

Better buy that...

Hang on I've got several of these already, probably should have spent that money on something else... :blink:
[/quote]

Phew, not just me then.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1382598333' post='2254030']
I have a SR505 and a SR1000ewn prestige. The prestige is a lot better than my SR, and the price difference wasn't 4 times, closer to 2. And for that price, the prestige was better value for money than the SR.

But maybe that is the difference between my two. I would not let the name and label decide what you were getting, I got them because I saw them and really wanted them, which is the decider.
When I got my fretless I compared the squire and the fender while prepared to buy either, but preferred the squire so bought it.
[/quote]

What pups are in the SR500? I think that makes the biggest difference. There's also a model that si essentially an SR with fancy wood and norstrand pups and it sounds fantastic.

I tried to find a sound example on Youtube but it';s amazing how many "reviewers" don't know how to set their amp. This is from the FB page of "Bass Magazine" I think it shows the "hi fi" clarity of the ibanez. Some may say it's "thin" though low end is easy to add. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=111340148878929&story_fbid=673925699287035

Edited by Lowender

Because most of the basses I am interested in never appear in shops, I buy on looks first of all. If the bass then lives up to my expectations I keep it, if not it will get sold on.

TBH trying before buying, for me is vastly over-rated. The last bass I actually was able to try first, is the one I've kept for the shortest amount of time.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382621587' post='2254524']
Because most of the basses I am interested in never appear in shops, I buy on looks first of all. If the bass then lives up to my expectations I keep it, if not it will get sold on.

TBH trying before buying, for me is vastly over-rated. The last bass I actually was able to try first, is the one I've kept for the shortest amount of time.
[/quote]

Did you remember to slap the hell out of it? Because if you didn't that's where you went wrong :P

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382617988' post='2254457']
What pups are in the SR500? I think that makes the biggest difference. There's also a model that si essentially an SR with fancy wood and norstrand pups and it sounds fantastic.
[/quote]

Bartonlini Mk1.
I have no problem with the sound, in fact there isn't really a huge amount of sound difference (and obviously you can change that), it is really down to the neck and playability. The neck of the prestige is just way better (and different as it is a through neck, whereas the 505 is a bolt on). Also the carving of the body is better. Not sure why the 505 was made so thin, but it is too thin.
The only thing it has better than the 1000 is that its tone control isn't currently shagged so I don't have to try and find a replacement

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1382635484' post='2254831']
Bartonlini Mk1.
I have no problem with the sound, in fact there isn't really a huge amount of sound difference (and obviously you can change that), it is really down to the neck and playability. The neck of the prestige is just way better (and different as it is a through neck, whereas the 505 is a bolt on). Also the carving of the body is better. Not sure why the 505 was made so thin, but it is too thin.
The only thing it has better than the 1000 is that its tone control isn't currently shagged so I don't have to try and find a replacement
[/quote]

I know what you mean. The 505 is small, light and the neck is thin and the body is thin and that may be why they sound is a little thin. But I just take it for what it is. I've learned to adapt and have other basses with thicker sound. But as you say, feel wise and tone-wise, it isn't a tremendous difference from the prestige and the price is right.

Edited by Lowender