Why become a member? ×

Why does JAZZ seem to be so widely disliked?

xilddx

I love this but be warned it may offend. Some may think that it is elitist. Some may think that it is music of a higher level but it isn't either of these. If you have an open mind it's just music.

It will offend though.............they don't have a bass player. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPI_cXLO7fw

Edited by BetaFunk

I think I dislike the jazz heads more than the music and I really don't like the heavy side of jazz music.

Even here jazzers talk in a way that puts other music down, calling it musicians music and playing posh weddings makes it sound like it's just for the intelligent and not for you poor scrubs.

Classical musicians, at least the guys I have come across ( my guitar player has done his masters in classical music and also hates the jazz attitude) never have the condescending view on any music.

As for the music on a whole it's ok but the heavy jazz stuff is not only hard to play but also hard to listen to.
It's a bit like an accordion, just because you can play it doesn't mean you should ;)

The song that got me hooked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXHhy_X-FI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is also cool and fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebUMhJAKSM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by lojo

It's the old problem, "define jazz".

Way back I got to see Henry Cow one week and John Steven's "Away" a couple of weeks later and hated them, just couldn't see the point. Then I got to see Grapelli, awesome. Bit later I played in a New Orleans style trad jazz band, amongst the highlights of my musical career (such as it is).

Lumping a whole pile of music together as "jazz" and hating it all seems a bit shallow to me, like lumping music from anywhere that isn't the UK together as "World" and tarring it all with the same brush. The fun is in picking through the diversity and finding the bits that you enjoy.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1382337506' post='2250662']

Lumping a whole pile of music together as "jazz" and hating it all seems a bit shallow to me, like lumping music from anywhere that isn't the UK together as "World" and tarring it all with the same brush. The fun is in picking through the diversity and finding the bits that you enjoy.

Steve
[/quote]

Excellent points. Using the term "jazz" in a general way is pointless as it covers such a huge spectrum of music.

I'm sure if people were asked did they like the music from certain eras in jazz's evolution, they may come to
a different opinion then "jazz is widely disliked".

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1382343639' post='2250728']
That Anthony Jackson stuff I don't enjoy.
[/quote]

The beauty of Jazz, it comes in all different styles and forms.
Everyone has a diverse opinion on it.

You see, I enjoy listening to Anthony Jackson, I love big Bands of all styles.
I love listening to Michel Camilo - So this is heaven for me, a legend of a concert.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZOCdrwGch4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZOCdrwGch4[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqI17hfgd3M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqI17hfgd3M[/url]

We don't [i]hate jazz, [/i]we [i]fear [/i]jazz.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKwQ_zeRwEs&t=1m1s[/media]

The fact that it doesn't have to follow any real logical order or go where you expect it to might put most people off I think. I've personally started trying to play some jazz having never really been interested in it, I'm quite enjoying it now.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by tm486

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1382337506' post='2250662']

Way back I got to see Henry Cow one week and John Steven's "Away" a couple of weeks later and hated them, just couldn't see the point. Then I got to see Grapelli, awesome. Bit later I played in a New Orleans style trad jazz band, amongst the highlights of my musical career (such as it is).

Lumping a whole pile of music together as "jazz" and hating it all seems a bit shallow to me, like lumping music from anywhere that isn't the UK together as "World" and tarring it all with the same brush. [b]The fun is in picking through the diversity and finding the bits that you enjoy.[/b]
[/quote]

+1

I reckon musical genres are more trouble than they're worth. Pick any genre and I'm sure we'd all like some examples and dislike others. I don't see that jazz is any different to classical, prog, metal, etc, in that respect.

So 'disliking jazz' must be just to annoy Bilbo . . . including those Fast Show sketches. :lol:

I've listened to jazz ever since a really great student music teacher I had in high school played a Jean Luc Ponty album in class one day.
Pretty much everybody hated it (this being the late 70's & most people were listening to punk stuff) but I thought it was superb.
Asked the teacher to recommend me some similar stuff & that's when I discovered Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Weather Report & lots of great 70s fusion stuff. From there I got into people like Miles Davis, John Coltrane & Ornette Coleman.

I don't "understand" what's going on in any of the jazz I listen to - I never had the desire to study theory & stuff so I would be able to play jazz. I don't feel that not understanding the mechanics of what is going on with the music detracts from my enjoyment of it though, I just find it interesting & stimulating to listen to.

I certainly enjoy listening to certain types of jazz more than a lot of other musical genres but at the same time I don't class myself as some kind of aficionado.

Jazz is very useful, it's the term we in our band use to describe those completely bum notes we drop in every now and then ;) .

I can't pretend to know much about jazz, I've listened to the odd track and it's been fun. However most of the jazz bands I've seen (no major stars or anything just local gigs and a wedding or two) seem to comprise of really good musicians, who are in fact so good they don't have to play songs anymore. 'I know, let's have another 5 min bass/drum/trumpet solo while the audience chat amongst themselves shall we?'

Did see a cracking jazz singer with just a sax player once in a ridiculously expensive jazz bar in Switzerland (think me and my mate had 2 1/2's all night), they were stunningly good, but they had songs.

I suppose the point is that as soon as you step away from communicating something in a musical language that most people can/want to grasp you are always walking a thin line between success and derision. I'd go and see jazz in a jazz club again, that could be a fun experience, but if a pub booked a jazz band on a Friday/Saturday night, I'd probably leave.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1382345288' post='2250752']
The beauty of Jazz, it comes in all different styles and forms.
Everyone has a diverse opinion on it.

You see, I enjoy listening to Anthony Jackson, I love big Bands of all styles.
[/quote]
That version of Not Yet is awesome.
Love it or hate it, it's passionate, committed and at the top of playing ability in the world.

I would have said I didn't like Jazz as my Dad was a pro Jazz drummer in the 60s and probably tried too hard to get me into it at an early age. As a kid I did like things like the theme from Starsky & Hutch and through that I've got a few albums that range Acid Jazz through to some stuff from the 60s and 70s. My Dad reliably informs me this is "the wrong sort of Jazz" though.

It's very limiting hating genres though. I like the almost universally panned country music which people tend to associate with acts like Don Williams. I'm forever playing them stuff which gets the reaction "well I like [b]that[/b]"

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1382346427' post='2250776']
So 'disliking jazz' must be just to annoy Bilbo . . .
[/quote]

.....as is the remark made below !!! :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382301337' post='2250466']
I like Jazz.

Moondance is one of my favourite numbers.
[/quote]

I suspect that, as with most things that appear to attract irrational opinions, it's due to general ignorance of the topic. Jazz doesn't form a massive part of my music library, but I do have a number of CDs that would probably be described as Jazz. I don't quite get a lot of the achordal freeform music, but I try - mostly unsuccessfully - to understand what is being played and why.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1382294700' post='2250297']
Mention 'jazz' to people and, aside from a few who like it, the reactions seem to be very negative, some even hostile. People don't react like this to 'classical' music do they? So why is jazz the recipient of so much unfair stereotyping and derision? Or is it? Mention 'metal' or 'hip hop' to a lot of people and they might react similarly.
[/quote]

People can't dig it man. They are so in their little boxes, they want their music to be like "TAP tap tap tap TAP tap tap tap" and then jazz is like "TAP tap TAP TAP a-ra-ta-TAP tap TAP", and their head just totally explodes with how anti-conformist it is to accepted musical "rules".

It's still musical masturbation though :D