Why become a member? ×

Why does JAZZ seem to be so widely disliked?

xilddx

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1382397507' post='2251790']
Though presumably not for him. ;)

I really can't understand why people get so worked up about this sort of thing. Why care about other people's musical tastes, whatever their reasons for them, never mind finding them "repulsive" for goodness sake!
[/quote]

Right you are: not for him. Maybe it's my own short-sightedness that's repulsive. But I am still bored by one hundred and nineteen verses of 'Shady Grove' ... :-)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1382356236' post='2251018']
Jazz musicians are the most skilled, though. Want a good drummer? Get a jazz drummer. Want a good guitarist? Get a jazz guitarist. They just have all the knowledge and ability. Any jazz player I have ever encountered has left me wishing I could play as well as them. Sometimes, I wished I liked jazz so I could be that good. (I like some jazz, but I wouldn't say I was exactly a fan. It's a vast genre).
[/quote]

I agree. The crux of it is, once you get into playing and music you naturally progress into attaining knowledge and I think that leads you into jazz and fusion. I started playing drums and all I wanted to do was beat the he'll out of them stuck between to Marshall stacks!! Ten years later I'm studying the Moeller technique and the Ted Reed method (don't ask, nerdy drum stuff). But after pushing myself like that when it came playing whole lotta Rosie, boys are back and for whom the bell tolls. Man! They were swinging.
So now I have found the righteous path of bass, I want to get the whole lot under my belt, having learnt my lesson with drums. The sooner I can get the knowledge, I know that playing all the rock and pop stuff will be loads better. I have everything on my iPod from Miles Davis to Messhuggah!!! Musical appreciation I think it's called.

I like jazz though, there, I said it. :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1382518902' post='2253022']
Good jazz:
90% of everything recorded between 1956 and 1978

Bad jazz:
90% of everything recorded from 1979 to 2013

:)
[/quote]

Nah, the really good stuff was never recorded... you had to be there when Miles played his set at the [size=3]blah [size=2]blah [size=1]blah[/size][/size][/size]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1382516408' post='2252989']
I'm slightly confused here.

Is what Jamie Cullum plays jazz?
[/quote]
I really need to know the answer to this before i take all of my Albert Ayler vinyl LPs down the charity shop and replace it with a Jamie Cullum cd.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382528233' post='2253181']
I always liked a bit of lounge jazz... not too keen on the stuff that sounds like someone released an angry bear into the orchestra pit though...
[/quote]
If lounge jazz is the music you play in your own lounge then this is what lounge jazz sounds like..............to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjaeOpAQOk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1382528555' post='2253188']
If lounge jazz is the music you play in your own lounge then this is what lounge jazz sounds like..............to me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjaeOpAQOk[/media]
[/quote]

No soundcard in the works computer sadly... Our office isn't overly jazzy at the best of times - Well apart from the music they play in the lift...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1382518902' post='2253022']
Good jazz:
90% of everything recorded between 1956 and 1978
[size=4]Bad jazz:[/size]
90% of everything recorded from 1979 to 2013
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Yes! And you can apply the above dates to Rock and Pop, too. [/size] :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1382533034' post='2253265']
So after 172 posts is it fair to say that jazz is not widely disliked, just by some - in fact quite a few actually like it?
[/quote]

Agreed. I think "minority interest" is more appropriate than "widely disliked".