Why become a member? ×

Why does JAZZ seem to be so widely disliked?

xilddx

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1382352079' post='2250893']
My Dad reliably informs me this is "the wrong sort of Jazz" though.
[/quote]

Yeah, some have their own favourite era of jazz and generally regard that as the definitive.

Again, it just goes to show how illogical it is to pigeon hole everything under "jazz".

I think the link below sums it up quite well: Jazz can be a little confusing to the initiate because it covers such a huge remit of different music. But it also has a very clear tradition to it as well.
The fact that some people are saying they dislike an entire genre of music seems incredibly silly to me. You've got to evaluate everything on it's own merits as well, which means listening!

http://ronanguil.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/six-reasons-why-i-love-jazz.html

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1382355653' post='2250996']
It's a great excuse though, isn't it?

"Dude, you totally f***ed up the chorus"

"Nah man, I was just jazzing it up a bit."
[/quote]

no no no no no no noooooo :P
f*ing it up is not acceptable
chord substitution is a complex artform not some random process :ph34r:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1382355743' post='2251000']
Yeah, it gives pleasure and gets you all excited !! :P
[/quote]

No, I was thinking more "Everyone is just pleasing themselves" :D

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1382355964' post='2251007']
This thread needs Bilbo
[/quote]

Aye, where has he slinked off to anyway? Haven't seen him about in a long while.

Reminds me of this saxophone player who dies and, against all tradition, signs and expectation, finds himself allowed into Heaven. He even gets to play in the Heavenly Big Band. Great players, great scores, inspiring solos ... he's having a great time. Then suddenly he notices this slim trumpet player in a tight cut Italian suit, soloing, with his back to the audience, on a stopped horn.
Our saxophone player asks who the Hull that is.
- That? Oh, that's God. He thinks he's Miles Davis!....

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1382355727' post='2250999']
Jazz can be a little confusing to the initiate because it covers such a huge remit of different music.
[/quote]

Agreed, but everyone has to start somewhere and sometime. Generally the music does not hit you on the first listen,
but it can take a while to "get it". After that, you have a lifetime of rewarding listening ahead. Granted,
some never "get it"......so be it.

Jazz musicians are the most skilled, though. Want a good drummer? Get a jazz drummer. Want a good guitarist? Get a jazz guitarist. They just have all the knowledge and ability. Any jazz player I have ever encountered has left me wishing I could play as well as them. Sometimes, I wished I liked jazz so I could be that good. (I like some jazz, but I wouldn't say I was exactly a fan. It's a vast genre).

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1382356869' post='2251038']
No, guys, you're still wrong. What I meant when I said it was musical masturbation was that it's all cool and exciting to start with, but then you lose enthusiasm half way through and you start to make mistakes.

No? Just me? :lol:
[/quote]

Well, as I mentioned earlier....it takes time to get the hang of it and for it to..... [i]sink in !!! :ph34r: [/i]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1382295579' post='2250329']
...But a typical reaction often is 'I don't like jazz but I like what you play'.
[/quote]
A related thing that people often say is "I like some jazz but I don't like the really busy stuff". I think a lot of people like some jazz (ballads, slower standards with tasteful, short, solos etc). But everyone has a different threshold for when things get faster and more rhythmically and harmonically elaborate. That threshold can change with time - some of it is down to 'educating your ears' in that you can discern a bit more of what the musicians are doing whereas before it might have sounded like noise. But everyone has their own level IMO.

The other thing that puts people off is the impression of elitism, but I have to say that although some people who talk about jazz can be knobheads, most actual musicians that I've ever met are extremely humble individuals because they realise that learning to play the music is a lifetime's journey.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1382359580' post='2251089']
.The other thing that puts people off is the impression of elitism
[/quote]

I have come across this idea of elitism on a few occasions, but never really understood why people would be put off listening to jazz because of it. If you are interested in listening to a genre, I assume it is not because you want to belong to some elite club, but because
you want to explore the music itself, regardless of anything else. If you have a genuine interest and curiosity, then nothing should put you off.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1382356236' post='2251018']
Jazz musicians are the most skilled, though.
[/quote]

While the minimum skill and knowledge level to be a useful player is undoubtedly higher, I don't agree that all the best players are jazz players.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1382360790' post='2251127']
While the minimum skill and knowledge level to be a useful player is undoubtedly higher, I don't agree that all the best players are jazz players.
[/quote]

In fairness this is not what he said. "Best" is always a personal matter. I agree with MiltyG in that of all genres, a jazz musician can hold down most other music forms. I doubt that many classical (or other music types) musicians would be efficient at playing say....Mingus, but doubt that a jazz player would have any major problems playing other music forms.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1382361364' post='2251139']
I doubt that many classical (or other music types) musicians would be efficient at playing say....Mingus, but doubt that a jazz player would have any major problems playing other music forms.
[/quote]

I'm not confident that I understand this text, but whatever you may mean, IME:
- most classical players stink at jazz, and are mostly very aware of this.
- most jazz players stink at playing classical, whilst thinking they do a good job.

No time to go into detail right now.