Why become a member? ×

Band gone

geoffbyrne

Had bad news today that the band I was in, The Blues Devils is suspended(!) as the Drummer ( lovely bloke) has had some terrible luck - he's had both eyes done for cataracts & for some reason, they are not healing properly, so he's at home, effectively blind, can't work, can't drive, wondering if he's ever be able to do either again - and to top it all, he's just been told he'll have to have an operation on his lower spine or he may be in deep trouble! The other two guys have young families and have decided that they can't be fussed starting all over again with another drummer.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Anyone in the Glasgow area looking for a bassist?

G.

Wowsers! As someone also having had more than my fair share of spime problems, and now trying to regain the full use of my left eye after bungled surgery, I can truly empathise with the poor guy. Hope he actually didn't have both cataracts done at once - what you describe is the very reason they shound never do both together.
:(

I understand he had his eyes done a week apart. Originally told he'd be fine after 14 days - it's now been upped to 90 days.

I'm afraid he's very down & not in a good place at all.

I'm a bit pissed at the other two as I reckon I could get another drummer. But there you are.

Thanks for the commiserations - I'll pass them on.

G.

Geoff, bad news, pass on our best wishes to your drummer.

I don't believe how easily the other two guys have thrown in the towel! You're not starting over, you're just looking for a new drummer.

If "young families" were an issue surely they'd have left before this!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382102107' post='2247990']

I don't believe how easily the other two guys have thrown in the towel! You're not starting over, you're just looking for a new drummer.

[/quote]

Exactly this

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382102107' post='2247990']

[/quote]

The fact is, we've been rehearsing regularly & forking out money for studios. The organiser then spent a *lot* of time on the phone trying to get bookings and ended up with only two. Despite the band being established & with a good reputation, there doesn't seem to much of an audience for Blues in this area, so I guess the guys decided it wasn't worth the hassle. To a certain extent I agree. I seem to invested a lot of cash in practice studios over the last 5 or 6 years for projects that haven't either reached fruition or break up quickly shortly after. So, it maybe seems that there wasn't much of a market in the future and that they decided to cut their losses. Can't say I'd disagree with that.

Thanks for the words of support, y'all. It's comforting.

G.

My band has just gone tits up after the drummer left (long story, singer practically stalking him!) but to be fair I was the one who decided I didn't want to learn all the stuff with a new drummer so I am the tosser everyone here is upset with but I have been there before and its hard work going round in circles learning the same set wondering if the new drummer will leave or be kicked out before the gigs begin.
I'm not feeling it lately and have had wrist problems for nearly a year, I am going to practice upright bass for a bit and see who comes knocking that sparks my mojo for elec bass.

Best wishes to your drummer though some things are more important than band squabbles :)

Sorry to hear that about the drummer, Geoff. Certainly makes you think how we take our senses for granted, and when there is suddenly the chance one of them may be impaired or taken away completely, it must be quite scary to say the least.

I hope something suitable comes up for you soon.

Cheers

Another Geoff

Best wishes for your drummer buddy from another drummer. A real life horror story; I sincerely hope that things turn out better than the picture you've painted. Modern medicine can work wonders in many situations.
My twisted dark humour would suggest that, if it happened to me I'd form a Blind Faith tribute group, but that's perhaps not in the best of tastes. Not much of a smile, even grim, to be had, I'm afraid.
Best of luck yourself in sorting something out, of course, but don't write off your drummer yet. Time is a great healer, too...

Best wishes to the drummer .......... however ........... there are plenty of dep drummers out there. We're playing with one tonight. This is actually the 2nd time we will have used this guy ..... and only the 2nd time we will have met him. Last time, we sent him the set with a few comments and notes, he turned up and played brilliantly for us. It was a 3 x 40 minute set with an encore of 15 mins. He charged us £66 for the privilege.

He is a lot better than our normal drummer too ..... and he chips in with a 3rd vocal.

Why don't you go down that route?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1382198766' post='2249222']
Best wishes to the drummer .......... however ........... there are plenty of dep drummers out there. We're playing with one tonight. This is actually the 2nd time we will have used this guy ..... and only the 2nd time we will have met him. Last time, we sent him the set with a few comments and notes, he turned up and played brilliantly for us. It was a 3 x 40 minute set with an encore of 15 mins. He charged us £66 for the privilege.

He is a lot better than our normal drummer too ..... and he chips in with a 3rd vocal.

Why don't you go down that route?
[/quote]

I'm with you on this - I can get a drummer, and a good one too. It's the other two who have parked it.

I have some feelers out.........

G.

Band issues aside I think the scary thing here is that cataract surgery is pretty much taken for granted these days, just a routine in and out op, so if it goes wrong it is all the more chilling. I can't imagine what it would be like.