Why become a member? ×

Good bass tone here

The Dark Lord

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1382035647' post='2247103']
EDIT: Listening now. One of his better tones. Bit thin still for my taste but the grind and growl is great.
[/quote]

He's only using half his sound there, only one jack out, the middly one, all the beef from the mudbucker is missing. Big muddy low and really thin cutting mid combine to huge, but you really miss it if one is missing.

Mr Big started out as a bit of a muso's band but then gained more general recognition after the big hit. I recall seeing them on the 'Lean Into It' tour and I think the gig was before they had released 'To Be With You' as a single from it so that song wasn't even in the set list!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1382085996' post='2247604']
Mr Big started out as a bit of a muso's band but then gained more general recognition after the big hit. I recall seeing them on the 'Lean Into It' tour and I think the gig was before they had released 'To Be With You' as a single from it so that song wasn't even in the set list!
[/quote]
The tour was over, all promotion for the album done and they were about to start work on the next album, when a lone radio station in America started playing "To be with You." It all snowballed from there, they toured all over again and the album was re-promoted, with big window displays appearing in Our Price etc. whereas, there had been very little fanfare over here on its original release. I think a lot of people who know the song wouldn't be sure who it was by, or know anything else about the band! On recent UK tours, it appeared that most of the audience were guitarists.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382086369' post='2247616']
Re the vid in the OP: Is it me or does the guitarist's singing sound a bit like Roger Chapman?
[/quote]
I know where you are going but I wouldn't say so (but it's hardly a bad thing to be compared to Roger Chapman)!

Whilst I am a bit meh about much of Billy's playing style, he is a great guy who speaks a huge amount of sense.

This clip has some very interesting points concerning playing covers, strap length and GAS!! Some of you might not want to hear some of his comments.... ;)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yglAuOceEPo#t=194"]http://www.youtube.c...lAuOceEPo#t=194[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1382097169' post='2247862']
Whilst I am a bit meh about much of Billy's playing style, he is a great guy who speaks a huge amount of sense.

This clip has some very interesting points concerning playing covers, strap length and GAS!! Some of you might not want to hear some of his comments.... ;)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yglAuOceEPo#t=194"]http://www.youtube.c...lAuOceEPo#t=194[/url]
[/quote]

A big +1 on this comment.

I quite like Billys' playing in some instances , and his virtuosity is there for all to hear , but a lot of the music he plays isn't really my cup of tea, including this, I'm afraid( although I would recommend people check out his organ trio Niacin , with Dennis Chambers on drums for another side to Billy's playing . Some pretty intense music going on there ) , and he's never been a player I wanted to emulate. . For one thing, I not that keen on Billy's tone , to be honest with you , but I suppose it's his own thing and it works for him , so good luck to the guy.

The reason why I have so much and respect and admiration for Billy Sheehan, though , is because every word that I have ever heard him say about any aspect of playiing the bass guitar has been absolutely spot -on . The man talks nothing but good sense borne out of experience , and so if Billy is talking then I want to listen . I've seen plenty of Billys playing over the years and you can really tell that he knows the basics of how to play the bass as well as all the pyrotechnics , and he could play styles of music other than those which he is currently known for , so he should get credit for that . There is a solid foundation to everything he plays , and it really shows . Seems like nice guy , too .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1382035172' post='2247091']
However, despite it not being my cup of tea musically and playing with fingers instead of a pick .... AND playing an un-Fender..... this dude is getting a good tone out his bass right there.
[/quote]

It's not just Fender basses you can get a good tone out of ya know :)

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1382035787' post='2247110']
Yep - it's a Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude 3 Bass - nice, nice bass (like all Yammy gear really)

I have a sad tale to tell about one of those basses, I may share it here on BC when I've recovered.......
[/quote]

Have you had enough therapy yet to air that one Mr B?

It's not a sad tale readers, it an f***ing tragedy.

I don't like everything Billy Sheehan does but I have been liking the Winery Dogs. His tone, it's not a tone I'd probably want but it definitely works for what he does.

Overall though even if you didn't like any of what Sheehan does the fact that he is incredibly talented, very knowledgeable and a really nice guy there's always something you can learn from him. I've watched several 'tutorial' YT clips and other stuff regards his rig etc and he really does think about what he's doing. Top guy in my books.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1382118453' post='2248330']
[/quote]

Yes. I understand I am a bit blinkered when it comes to basses. It's just my thing. Having said that, I have noticed these Yamaha basses making good noises before.

They are therefore approved by The Dark Lord ........ although maybe not in this Ganny's Nightgown winceyette blue colour.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1382118453' post='2248330']
[/quote]

That's all very well, but does any bass burn better than a Fender? Fuel bills are going up, after all.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1382125533' post='2248493']
I don't like everything Billy Sheehan does but I have been liking the Winery Dogs. His tone, it's not a tone I'd probably want but it definitely works for what he does.
[/quote]

The tone certainly works for that track and that band, but it's not something you'd want used, by, for example, Cream (when they next play the RAH). Very enjoyable.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1382120709' post='2248391']
Have you had enough therapy yet to air that one Mr B?

It's not a sad tale readers, it an f***ing tragedy.
[/quote]

yep - ....(big build up)... not fully recovered, but I'll tell the tale shortly.
It's just too soon, just too soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got round to reading this month's issue.

It seems he is a pretty well respected player and surprisingly well known too then:

Quotes:

"Is this man the most advanced bass player in the world"

"The busiest bassist on planet earth"

He's made a few other covers too, including no less than three times on the biggest selling bass mag in the world - Bass Player!

[i]Surprised more bass players haven't heard of him. . .[/i]