Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

Roger2611

Hi guys and girls,

Mrs2611 and I went to see a cracking local band last night in quite a poor venue where to see the band you were virtually stood on top of the speakers, we both suffered for it later as our ears were ringing when we got home.

I have suffered with irritating Tinnitus for many years but it is something I just tend to be able to zone out rather than letting it become a problem, I did notice that both guitarists in the band were wearing earplugs all night and I asked them about using them afterwards both said they were just cheap things brought off evilbay and whilst they do affect what they could hear it stopped the ringing at the end of the night.

Can anyone recommend some especially suited to stage work or is it a case of try a few and see what works?

Rog

There is a fairly comprehensive pinned posting about earplugs here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/533-ear-plugs/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/533-ear-plugs/[/url]

I have tried them all from those that look like fag ends to the moulded plugs with filters in - the latter are very expensive but work best for me. I have really poor hearing (hearing aids both ears!), so it is important for me to try to retain what I have left for as long as possible...

For me...

Foam plugs are muffling and block out too much sound making it hard to hear myself.

Rubber plugs (the kind with a metal cylinder in them) make everythign sound thin, making it hard to hear myself.

I use soft tissue paper rolled up into a tight ball. It makes blocks out some of the highs an lows. Some people will say they don't block out enough DB's but try having it in only one ear and play a set. You'll notice a huge difference.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1380473229' post='2225804']
Booya! These are what I use, outstanding but do come at a price. I won't sugar coat it, they're £165 but are worth every penny.

Dan
[/quote]ditto, though I sometimes wonder whether my 17db ones are too much considering the years of abuse and damage done already in my long and noisy life. Suggestion was to put them in half an hour previous to the gig to aclimatise

At the risk of being told (once again) that I am somehow wrong and my opinion is anything ranging from wrong to idiotic, I use the "tenner off eBay" option, the Etymotic ER-20. They take a bit of getting used to but I use them all the time at band rehearsals, playing and watching gigs. To be quite honest, I prefer how live music sounds with them in rather than out. There are two sizes, I use the small, regular ones got uncomfortable during extended use. I don't know the ins and outs of it but basically in a nutshell when I forget them, I have hissy noises in my ears after gigs/rehearsals. I don't have that if I have been wearing them and that's good enough evidence for me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380474168' post='2225836']
At the risk of being told (once again) that I am somehow wrong and my opinion is anything ranging from wrong to idiotic, I use the "tenner off eBay" option, the Etymotic ER-20. They take a bit of getting used to but I use them all the time at band rehearsals, playing and watching gigs. To be quite honest, I prefer how live music sounds with them in rather than out. There are two sizes, I use the small, regular ones got uncomfortable during extended use. I don't know the ins and outs of it but basically in a nutshell when I forget them, I have hissy noises in my ears after gigs/rehearsals. I don't have that if I have been wearing them and that's good enough evidence for me.
[/quote]

+1 From me!

I'm the same Matt!

Made the big mistake of using generic plugs for a couple of years only to develop tinnitus and hearing loss. A consultant audiologist laughed at the idea of generics, as no two ear canals are the same. I then went down the the custom route and ACS plugs have been a lifesaver for me. They cost 300 euro a pop but are a must have IMO and cheap as chips for the protection they offer, to what remains of my hearing. Everyone to their own, but for me it's got to be the best and that's ACS

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1380475728' post='2225872']
Made the big mistake of using generic plugs for a couple of years only to develop tinnitus and hearing loss. A consultant audiologist laughed at the idea of generics, as no two ear canals are the same. I then went down the the custom route and ACS plugs have been a lifesaver for me. They cost 300 euro a pop but are a must have IMO and cheap as chips for the protection they offer, to what remains of my hearing. Everyone to their own, but for me it's got to be the best and that's ACS
[/quote]

This. If the plug doesn't fit your ear canal then it isn't doing its job fully. Foam earplugs are the best off the shelf option for this reason, though they're not ideal for music. Specsavers do custom fit jobs, for the price of a couple of effects pedals. It is a worthy investment.

Generic plugs don't have to be crap - I've been using these for ages and they form a complete seal in the ear canal - that's EAR canal. ;) They only filter out sound above a fixed SPL too, so you don't get that 'detached' sensation that you get with foam plugs and you can still hold a conversation and listen to quieter music passages, too.

[url="http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=107"]http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=107[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380477236' post='2225900']
Generic plugs don't have to be crap - I've been using these for ages and they form a complete seal in the ear canal - that's EAR canal. ;) They only filter out sound above a fixed SPL too, so you don't get that 'detached' sensation that you get with foam plugs and you can still hold a conversation and listen to quieter music passages, too.

[url="http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=107"]http://www.acscustom...=134&Itemid=107[/url]
[/quote]

Good for you that generics are a perfect fit. However for me they were total crap. My impression was that they were a good fit, but I was wrong. Wishful thinking that cheap and cheerful plugs were providing the necessary protection. The safest option is the best option-- custom plugs

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1380476820' post='2225890']
This. If the plug doesn't fit your ear canal then it isn't doing its job fully. Foam earplugs are the best off the shelf option for this reason, though they're not ideal for music. Specsavers do custom fit jobs, for the price of a couple of effects pedals. It is a worthy investment.
[/quote]
This

No brainer, Elacin ER-15's and / or ER-25's.

I've got both and have had to replace two lots that have been lost / in a stolen bag without even battering an eyelid.

I work in a live music environments virtually every day and I can't stress how important they are to me. I keep a pair on my belt at all times when at work ready for use at any time.

As for using them when I'm playing, it depends on the gig / rehearsal / band as to whether it's the 15's or 25's.

My advice is put your hand in your pocket and get some, now.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1380482188' post='2225996']
Elacin ER15 fitted ones for me. Why spend any money at all on gear and none to hear it for as long as you can?
The toiletpaper idea has to be one of the worst I've heard, who are you kidding?
[/quote]

+1. For the purposes of maintaining my sanity I assume he is taking the mick

I have to agree, there is no price on your hearing.

I went to college for two years with people who never used ear plugs (which is just mental) I have one experience which I am so thankful I had ear plugs in, even though at the time they were foam ear plug. (the ones that block out most of the sound and leave you with lots of bottom end) anyway I was sitting on an amp next to a drummer. (It was a live performance workshop but in between songs, so people fumble around) I went to college with some people who were quite frankly idiots, a inconsiderate drummer decided to smash the ride cymbal as hard as he could (which was parallel with my ears) if I hadn't been wearing ear plugs, I would of been screwed. (I remember everyone getting s huge lecture on it)

Anyway for most of college I used foam ear plugs which are okay (much better than having no protection) when I started to do proper gigs i've used (ACS) ER 15's and they're perfect. I can't think of what I would do without them, can go home after a gig and my ears will have no ringing. (If you're a loud band and I mean really really loud, consider 25's. )
If you sign up to Boots Hearing Care (you don't have to pay a membership, it's completely free) you will get a discount, I have a feeling it's about 20%? You can order the ear plugs from there and they will also do the moulds.

I sound like an endorsement but out of all the gear you could ever buy this should be your priority, once you lose you hearing thats it.

If anything I find they can clear up the sound in a large venue and make you focus on the music more. (maybe this is just my opinion) there are more expensive options i'e having really expensive monitoring systems build into them. (I would imagine for most gigs unless you're playing for some kind of international artist these would be great)

They work in a variety of setting the 15's (used them for small trio folk gigs, to currently using them now in a five piece jazz band)
http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=121

You can get different filters for the moulds so 9db, 15db, 25db. (I recommend 15 though, unless you're a drummer)