Why become a member? ×

Move away from MarkBass?

martthebass

A few months back I was having problems getting a decent sound out of my LM3/Barefaced Compact/Precision combination. I subsequently found much of this was due to the poor acoustics of the practice room which just sucked the life out of the upper mids and highs (unfortunately not until I'd parted with the Precision in favour of a Jazz....no worries I've gone backwards and forwards between these 2 standards for 30 years). Anyhow it has still sown a seed of doubt on whether the LM3/BF is a good match; the BF suits me well size and weight wise so if something moves it'll be the MB. I've been thinking maybe a Streamliner 600 or a TC RH450 but would I just be spending money for the sake of it? No easy way for me to try these combinations out so any comments would be useful guys.

There probably hasn't been a better time to buy a Streamliner 600, as I believe Fender has bought Genz Benz and they are being knocked out for £499 a pop so that Fender can [s]flog its own range of tat[/s] bring new product so the market place. Both GB and TC heads can be had for reasonable prices used (although I am not selling my Classic 450!)

You won't be taking much of a risk if you buy wisely/used.

I always liked the sound of the Markbass LMII through my Compact but the Streamliner 900 is a little warmer and seems to give greater weight to the notes. Of the two, I prefer the Streamliner although the LMII is still excellent, so unless you're just fancying a change, the LMII is great with the Compact inmy opinion.

If you want to change I can certainly offer my opinion that the Sreamliner is well suited to the Compact. :)

Having said that, my Mesa Walkabout is always first choice with the Compact, with the Streamliner as back up. The Streamliner is a superb match for the Midget though as well.

Frank.

Barefaced I think would be up there towards the top in available speaker cabs and the compact is a good cab.
The LM2... is an amp I really can't stand the sound of - but it has lots of fans - and what it does it does really well. Is that the sound you're going for?

Otherwise the RH450 will sound a bit like a digital amp pretending to be an SVT (not a bad thing) and will have lots of bells and whistles, and also compression and things going on to squeeze the most out of it's power rating. The Streamliner I know less about but again is supposed to be valvey sounding.

So if you want to sound more valvey go for it.... otherwise... how old are your strings? try raising the pickup a smidgin? does turning the cab a different way in that room make a difference to the tone... ?

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1380226677' post='2222645']
I always liked the sound of the Markbass LMII through my Compact but the Streamliner 900 is a little warmer and seems to give greater weight to the notes. Of the two, I prefer the Streamliner although the LMII is still excellent, so unless you're just fancying a change, the LMII is great with the Compact inmy opinion.

If you want to change I can certainly offer my opinion that the Sreamliner is well suited to the Compact. :)

Having said that, my Mesa Walkabout is always first choice with the Compact, with the Streamliner as back up. The Streamliner is a superb match for the Midget though as well.

Frank.
[/quote]

Interesting. I think the problem I was finding with the Precision in this combination was it was a little too warm, or more accurately lacked definition. My active basses and Rick didn't suffer in this respect. I don't dislike the MarkBass sound per se but haven't been overwhelmed by its sensitivity to acoustics with the BFC. When the acoustics are 'good' the sound is superb, punchy, well defined mids and no flabby bass but it seems when the room is against it there's not much I can do with positioning/eq etc.

It seems perseverence is maybe the order of the day at least for the moment as I could be laying out significant cash for little or no benefit?

Markbass to me sound, in the mix, very much like Ampeg - they neither sit underneath it, nor scream out "listen to me" with brilliant shrill high-end. So a low-mid heavy Precision, especially through a very neutral sounding BF Compact, crisp modern highs wouldn`t be what I`d expect. Not slating this set-up by the way, that`s my ideal sound, having both Precisions & Markbass. So maybe a different amp could be the solution.

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1380312814' post='2223810']
Markbass are great, really honest sounding heads IMHO maybe a new cab would be a consideration instead?
[/quote]

I have thought of that lana but tbh the BF is just perfect size and weight wise.....I feel I need to persevere with it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380320373' post='2223926']

+1

What does your rig sound like on a gig?

If it sounds OK there then you haven't got a problem.
[/quote]

Hi Chris, again it's room dependent. If the room is full of carpet and (dare I say it) flock wallpaper it struggles a bit. On a proper stage with shiney floors absolutely no problem.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1380322226' post='2223952']

Hi Chris, again it's room dependent. If the room is full of carpet and (dare I say it) flock wallpaper it struggles a bit. On a proper stage with shiney floors absolutely no problem.
[/quote]
I prefer large carpeted rooms with my rig and never struggle for any frequencies. My little mark 800 is run completely flat with vpf and vle turned off, tone controls on the Bass set flat. Are the floors that you are playing on hollow? If so a gramma pad will certainly help if you don't already have one.

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1380351130' post='2224053']
....My little mark 800 is run completely flat with vpf and vle turned off, tone controls on the Bass set flat....
[/quote]

That's all I had on my LM2 eq as well.

+1 for the benefits of a Gramma pad.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380331668' post='2224019']
OK, so your problem is with bad room acoustics. I think in that case I'd look at the cab first.
How about adding a Midget to push some of the middle and higher frequencies?
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380361603' post='2224219']
+1 for the benefits of a Gramma pad.
[/quote]

Great suggestions, adding a Midget in really makes the Precision/Compact shine imo. I found the Compact on its own lacking the bite that I wanted, and an e-mail conversation with Alex convinced me that a Midget would help. And did it! Plus the Gramma is a worthy piece of kit to have around for when needed - this is probably next on my shopping list.

Edited by Lozz196

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'd love to go down the midget route but don't have the space (or the cash) for it, plus I suspect it would get left at home other than for the 'big rooms'.
I've thought about selling on the BF and getting a BFC with the HF unit but I'm not sure how much hat would help (plus trying to find someone willing to sell/trade is highly improbable). Looks like the Gramma pad first off then!

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1380380258' post='2224528']
Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'd love to go down the midget route but don't have the space (or the cash) for it, plus I suspect it would get left at home other than for the 'big rooms'.
I've thought about selling on the BF and getting a BFC with the HF unit but I'm not sure how much hat would help (plus trying to find someone willing to sell/trade is highly improbable). Looks like the Gramma pad first off then!
[/quote]
CN212 can't go wrong one cab solution, full bottom end sweet top and punchy through the mids! A classic

In the mid 60's, and early 70's, when we had a problem with bad room acoustics, we made a frame out of light weight aluminum strips, and draped or hung light blankets, a couple, or a few feet in front of the amps, or drums as needed. This acted as a filter, or a sound damper. As stupid as it sounds, it worked. Same amps, drums, guitars, and basses. Just augmented the sounds. It worked in studios too.

As you've only got one cab, and a smallish/light one at that, an even cheaper route is a couple of 18in x 18in pieces of acoustic foam (the zigzag stuff) put together, which will do everything a Gramma Pad will do, for a fraction of the cost. I've been using this method under my Schroeder for years now, works a treat.

If you really want to, you could always lash the money out on a Gramma Pad later...