Why become a member? ×

Move away from MarkBass?

martthebass

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381078950' post='2234105']
Be very, very careful about the TC RH450. It can be quite an 'immediate' sounding amp in a demo room but a total tone-sucker if not matched with the right cabs and can disappear completely in a live band mix :(
[/quote]
Never had this problem with the TC Classic 450, which isn't that different when you take away the bells and whistles. Then again I've only gigged it thru BF cabs.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1380226677' post='2222645']
The Streamliner is a superb match for the Midget though as well.
[/quote]
+1 to that! (In-depth post on Streamliner 900 to follow, elsewhere within this esteemed forum...)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381078950' post='2234105']
Be very, very careful about the TC RH450. It can be quite an 'immediate' sounding amp in a demo room but a total tone-sucker if not matched with the right cabs and can disappear completely in a live band mix :(
[/quote]
A mate of mine testifies to this, despite pairing it with TC cabs

Don't know the CN212 but I have tried the CN112 x2 and I LIKED them in every regard ............and I am not utterly convinced about NEO cabs.
I think they are a good step on from the AE cabs.. but more time needed on them, I think.
They look very very smart as well.

Probably another classic line in the making from Berg.

oh... just remembered, they are too small :lol:

Markbass and Berg usually pair well...........

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1381094109' post='2234367']
Maybe it's the Precision bass ? I have six P - bass's and they all sound slightly different .
Also the Markbass 800 tends to be more middley than the LittleMark 2/ 3 .
Maybe you could borrow a different P bass to see if it was any different.
[/quote]

Could be, but the same P bass sounds superb through a TE rig c'est la vie. The said P bass has now gone in favour of a Jazz so hopefully this problem won't raise it's head again......really miss the P bass though.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1381095222' post='2234385']
A mate of mine testifies to this, despite pairing it with TC cabs
[/quote]

Man, the 450 and 750 is all abouts mids mids mids, I've never once ever had issues with volume, tone, compression, or anything. In fact, the 450 sounded 'larger' than most the 500W similar micros.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381173440' post='2235435']
Man, the 450 and 750 is all abouts mids mids mids, I've never once ever had issues with volume, tone, compression, or anything. In fact, the 450 sounded 'larger' than most the 500W similar micros.
[/quote]
We A/B'd the TC 450 + TC cabs with the Markbass F500 + Markbass cabs and the title went to...........Markbass by a stretch

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1381095473' post='2234389']

Wonder will the Barefaced big twin dislodge the CN212 from its perch?
[/quote]
Not sure it really has a perch! As much as I think it is a great sounding cab with minimal weight I do actually prefer the some what heavier HD series. There have already been several CN212's for sale on Talkbass and one on Basschat so they are clearly not for everyone. There are lots of great cabs out there, the trick is finding the one that pairs with well with your kit and delivers the tone that's in your head.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381173440' post='2235435']
[/quote]
True. The EQ centre frequencies on the Classic are 200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz, and 1.6kHz, so despite the labels they are all [u]mid range controls[/u]! I happen to like this, but if you are one of those people who enjoys frequencies of 5kHz or more in their bass sound, you will need to access the TweeterTone(TM) control on your RH, or if you have a Classic - get a different amp!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1381183096' post='2235637']
Not sure it really has a perch! As much as I think it is a great sounding cab with minimal weight I do actually prefer the some what heavier HD series. There have already been several CN212's for sale on Talkbass and one on Basschat so they are clearly not for everyone. There are lots of great cabs out there, the trick is finding the one that pairs with well with your kit and delivers the tone that's in your head.
[/quote]
that's the trick allright. A task that is difficult to accomplish, particularly if like me you are starved of shops selling the latest pieces of kit. It's then easy to get sucked in by the online hype. Even if you do find your dream set up in some store or other, it can often fall down in a live performance situation.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1381185122' post='2235665']

that's the trick allright. A task that is difficult to accomplish, particularly if like me you are starved of shops selling the latest pieces of kit. It's then easy to get sucked in by the online hype. Even if you do find your dream set up in some store or other, it can often fall down in a live performance situation.
[/quote]
+1 there have been several pieces of kit that I have tried which have been really hyped on forums and I have then been really disappointed with when demo'd, conversely my little mark 800 has zero hype and on Talkbass even has some criticism yet I absolutely love it!
I have found that trying in a shop certainly helps although there is no substitute for playing a rig live to know how it works. I bought a Berg Ae212 a couple of years ago based on reviews, it sounded great on its own but in a band mix really struggled to stand out, lesson learned! I now look for a rig that on its own sounds slightly too forward in the upper mids/treble, in a live setting I find this gives me great definition and clarity, at home I just eq as nesc

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1381218015' post='2235792']
Good way to view it. That sums up Schroeder cabs for me pretty well, on their own they sound middy and nasally, yet put them in the mix and they just have so much presence it`s amazing.
[/quote]

Yep, spot on: if I'd have tried my Schroeder in a shop I probably wouldn't have bought it. Superb cab in a band setting, though.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1381220384' post='2235826']
....a totally uncoloured back line set up, so that my bass sounds like it does through headphones in my studio....Not found it yet....
[/quote]

You won't. You don't have a room and a noisy band getting in the way with headphones.

What I crave personally is a totally uncoloured back line set up, so that my bass sounds like it does through headphones in my studio.

Not found it yet.
[/quote]

Surely most studios and headphones add their own character.

I prefer, personally, to have some character. Even clean amps have character, (eg the Markbass sound, the Genz Shuttle sound).

I have to say that I could recall penty of basses and their sound that would die a thousand deaths and then some if you played them through
a very clean rig...
Playing them through an EQ stage does for them way before that though.
I can imagine an engr would have to spend AGES trying to make them sound useable...

I don't worry about them anymore... that is their problem.
You know when you onto a hiding when you are thinking f****** atrocious sound and you find the guy just loves it... :lol:
Now, subjectivty can go quite a way and we like different things but it is like calling a Citroen a Ferrari..

That is the way it can be, oh well.

What I crave personally is a totally uncoloured back line set up, so that my bass sounds like it does through headphones in my studio.

Not found it yet.
[/quote]

I think I have with my GB Shuttle 9.2 into my Barefaced S12T

That sounds like perfection to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Streamliner 600 and Barefaced Compact set up and it sounded pretty good. I ran all the EQ at about 12 o'clock and the sound was full and rounded. I was using a Stingray 4 and a Lakland 5 string. To be perfectly honest I think the Compact is a bit over-hyped (albeit a very capable cab) and I let mine go.

I haven't played through a BF cab yet, but what I have read from comments made by owners is that they are seismically loud. Superb, but I have noticed that there are more traditionalists using them. Just an observation. I'm not a traditionalist. I like a cab that sings in the high mids and not the low mids. I think I might struggle using a my EBS amps into a BF cab. I have played my amps into an Orange, Ashdown and Marshall cab at my local rehearsal room and it just plain sucks. All the high mids and response drop off and I can't get them back again. Yet, there are some lads that use those cabs with high praise and can make them sound awesome with their amps. Some cabs just don't sound right with certain amps.