Why become a member? ×

stingray on a budget...Sub?

sprocketflup

I was for buying a Sub Ray 4 - the slap sound is really close to the Stingray (well, for £319) but what put me off was how limited the rest of the tonal range is. But if you want Stingray on a budget, the Subs will do a good job. As Dandelion says, the Ibanez ATK is a good approximation, and even cheaper. Try 'em out.

The old USA sub basses are excellent. Whilst I've never owned one, a good friend did and they really are great basses! Look at it this way, James brown's bassist used one.

You'd be pushing the boat out a bit on cost for a Sandberg basic m, but they are very good. I have the fret less basic, they feel different, the preamps are different but they have a similar sound.

Dan

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1379625723' post='2215108']
IBANEZ ATK. USA SUB. SANDBERG BASIC M. Will all approximate a stingray tone.

I have no idea why I wrote that in big shouty letters.
[/quote]

Certainly agree that the ATK and SUB get you well into Stingray territory. I'm not so sure about the Sandberg Basic though. I used to own one, which was a lovely bass. But the tone was much more rounded, and less aggressive than my Stingray. Still very nice, but more polite than a classic 'ray tone.

If you are after the Stingray sound without Stingray prices... the old Made in USA (2003-2006) MM SUB is the one to go for. It's "the real thing" in construction, electronics, and sound. Not available new anymore, but you do see them used here with regularity. About £350. I own two, awesome basses.

[sub]I,ve had my USA SUB for 10 years now and it,s holding up very well,in fact it,s holding up incredably well.[/sub]
[sub]Yes I would go for the USA SUB every time.[/sub]
[sub]Perfect for punk/metal before anybody asks and everything else as well.[/sub]
[sub]By the way I love the finish as well that,s why I got it,still not a scratch on it and it,s gigged every week.[/sub]