Why become a member? ×

Can anyone help with this? Frustrated :(

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1379179664' post='2209586']
[b][i]Is there a special technique?[/i][/b] Something I'm doing wrong? Particular fingering that should be used?

[/quote]

Just keep practicing it over and over.

There's a song I play with a band (originals) that's got a similar pattern to that and has a fast fill at the end. I've been playing it for a while now and it's a sod not to either get sympathetic ringing from the open strings or accidentally hit a string on the 'way back up' as it were.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379195395' post='2209814']
I'm not sure the statement was metaphysical in an way. (?) I just heard the tune. It can be played with either thumb or fingers. But yeah, it takes some technique. So the short answer here can simply be "get better." : )

Seriously, if not using the thumb, I think it would be best if it were fingered -- index for the low, then middle and index for the octave, and then the index AGAIN for the lower note. That seems like more movement but it's actually falls more naturally. (To me).
[/quote][quote name='ambient' timestamp='1379195400' post='2209815']
1st finger for the low F sharp, then 2nd finger followed by the 1st finger for the octaves, just repeat that.

Fine advice about using a metronome and start at a low tempo, maybe 60bpm, and just increase the tempo as you find it easier.

Ignore the tapping suggestion :blink:, and also the thumb suggestion. Why would you want to tap it ????????

Unless you've practiced incorporating your thumb into playing with your fingers, the sound would be too different for it to work properly. The sound between 1st and 2nd finger is noticeable, more flesh on the 2nd finger, your thumb would sound even more heavier.
[/quote]

Index finger from D to E string on quavers? That's a tricky bit of string skipping you guys do if you can play that at speed & consistency!

Yup, I saw a Youtube video of a Spanish girl playing this tune and thought it'd be fun to play, after all, she's only been playing a couple of years, I've been playing a couple of decades and can play most things without too much practice etc.etc.

And found I couldn't even begin to play it at any kind of speed. :o :blink: :huh:

I think it's a fairly unusual pattern that I've just never encountered before, so now I've been playing this tune a couple of times a day for the past couple of months (yes, that's about 8 weeks maybe more!) and I can just about hold it all together, sort of. But I very nearly gave up on it. :unsure:

Stick at it, practice really slow and look at different fingerings to find what works for you, I use first finger to pluck the E string, then 2nd > 1st again for the octaves on the D. And raking the 1st finger across the A and E strings to get back for the low note again (while muting the A string with my fretting hand). I tried three finger plucking Billy Sheehan style but that didn't sound right, thumb and two fingers was too cack handed, and pick was disastrous.

You can try speeding up gradually but I found that was taking forever, so I ended up just going as fast as I could and relaxing, and hoped it would fall into place. And it does, eventually. Sort of.

Good luck!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1379198107' post='2209837']
Index finger from D to E string on quavers? That's a tricky bit of string skipping you guys do if you can play that at speed & consistency!
[/quote]

Quavers/semi-quavers :D, yeah 1st finger for low F sharp then 2nd finger for the 1st high F sharp followed by the 1st finger again. I can also do it 1st finger low F sharp then 2nd for the 1st high F sharp then 1st finger then 2nd finger, so alternating 1,2 etc.

I decided to tackle the same song while back, took me a few days to nail it! I searched all over the web site the best way to play bouncing disco octaves but in the end came up with my own way.

Easiest method at first was the low note with the thumb, followed by middle, index. If we number the fingers starting with the thumb at 0, it goes:

0 2-1, 0 2-1...

However you don't get a good attack from the thumb stroke. It looks like that girl plays it with two fingers only, which involves a lot off string skipping. Either:

1 1-2, 1 1-2...

Or:

1 2-1, 1 2-1...

I play it this way, which is apparently uncommon yet feels most natural to me since all the fingers roll off each other:

1 3-2, 1 3-2

And the variation:

1 3-2, 1 3, 1 3-2, 1 3...

Oh, and if you get it right make sure you post your own YouTube video! That girl's video was spotted by Jamiroquai and they flew her out to meet the band and play with them live on stage during their tour. Also Stuart Zender recently gave her one of his Warwick signature basses for free!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1379227629' post='2209943']
Oh, and if you get it right make sure you post your own YouTube video! That girl's video was spotted by Jamiroquai and they flew her out to meet the band and play with them live on stage during their tour. Also Stuart Zender recently gave her one of his Warwick signature basses for free!

[/quote]

That bitch.

I will mirror others in saying, play it right slowly first.

Speed isn't amazing great, playing it right is. The speed will come later.

For what it's worth I play this tune with my fingers, and found it a bit difficult at first. I tend to play close to the bridge where there isn't much slack in the strings so I'm not "falling over" loose strings and playing with a much lighter attack will help.
When speed is involved I play the strings more like a classical guitar, barely touch, just a light caress.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1379188142' post='2209707']
This +100. This is what my bass tutor always advises. Start off slowly, get your muscle memory locked into it then increase the BPM. He recommends 2 BPM at a time but you could try 5 BPM. Only up the tempo once you've mastered the previous one.
[/quote]

This works for me as well, I will keep increasing the tempo until I can play it slightly faster than needed - which makes it seem easier at the required tempo.

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1379231268' post='2209964']
This works for me as well, I will keep increasing the tempo until I can play it slightly faster than needed - which makes it seem easier at the required tempo.
[/quote]

And for the gig when the drummer counts the band in 20 bpm too fast ;)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379200294' post='2209863']
Here ya go. Even a girl can do it. : ) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_AI2v-4DTs[/media]
[/quote]
Dammit I can't even tell what that girl's RH fingers are doing. YouTube slow-downer anyone? She has a nice tone too.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1379204569' post='2209896']
Quavers/semi-quavers :D, yeah 1st finger for low F sharp then 2nd finger for the 1st high F sharp followed by the 1st finger again. I can also do it 1st finger low F sharp then 2nd for the 1st high F sharp then 1st finger then 2nd finger, so alternating 1,2 etc.
[/quote]

Nice. :)

That YouTube girl's got some nice playing going on there too.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1379227629' post='2209943']

[/quote]

And do you think they'd have done the same if it was an ugly geezer in a string vest in the vid? :D