Why become a member? ×

Can anyone help with this? Frustrated :(

Evil Undead

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379235251' post='2210014']
Dammit I can't even tell what that girl's RH fingers are doing. YouTube slow-downer anyone? She has a nice tone too.
[/quote]

She's doing II: index/index/middle/index :II It works, though II: index/middle/index/index:II falls a little easier for me.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1379185667' post='2209676']
Not happy with some of the advice so far... tapping!? WtF?
[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]Two handed tapping would have been my approach if I couldn't match the tempo with the octave jump. Makes perfect sense[/size]

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1379282610' post='2210923']
Thanks for all the replies :) most grateful.

I've been working on it today, and there's an improvement. Not much yet, granted, but slowly. I shall get there.

Thanks again :)
[/quote]

I'm often in these kind of situations.
I like to remind myself of Homer Simpson's advice -
"If at first you don't succeed, give up."

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1379181486' post='2209613']
I'm horrible with a pick. Awful
[/quote]

It's no bad thing to improve your plectrum playing. If you have more than one plucking style available, it does mean you can [size=3]take[/size] [size=2]your[/size] [size=1]pick...[/size]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379325069' post='2211174']
Just keep at it...slow it down...get it right slow, then speed up. Trust me, this applies to virtually all of us on here I think.
[/quote]

Absolutely! I remember learning Muse's Hysteria for an audition a few years ago. Took me ages until I slowed it down. Once I Had the notes I could gradually speed it up again. Now I can play it faster than necessary, which is, of course, unnecessary.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379351402' post='2211599']
I just tried it at 100 bpm (what bpm is it at?) I went for low F# with my 1st finger then octave with my 2nd then 1st to finish and repeat.
[/quote]

Have a go at doing the 1st finger stuff in one raking motion (muting the A string so it doesn't sound) and your 1st finger is in position to play the low note again. It turns it into a sort of rakey galloppy 1>2>1>2 alternating finger line rather than a 1>2>1>1>2>1 line.

Oddly I find it hard slowed down but up to the tempo of the song it's easier.

Edit: I'm guessing BPM is around 125 to 130ish

Edited by Fat Rich

Hard to explain in words, but I know what I mean!

I'm playing strictly alternating finger but I'm playing two notes with the first finger by raking. First time round you'll need to play the root with your 1st finger but then:

The first of the octaves with the 2nd finger.
The second of the octaves and the root in one movement with the first finger.
etc.

That might be even more confusing than what I wrote before :huh: :lol:

yarp, that bubbly disco lick is a tricky feel to get. I copied what the Spanish lass is doing (sorry, Marta ;-) ) & after a while it got a bit easier, still way off but easier. She plays it very well & has that funk down! Good track, lots of neat basslines in Jamiroquai stuff, whoeverso is on bass but spesh Zender, he's the beanz!
You'll have us all learning this. Going to have to practice hard before i unleash this as a rehearsal warm up, ha ha!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1379316245' post='2211052']
[/size]

Two handed tapping would have been my approach if I couldn't match the tempo with the octave jump. Makes perfect sense
[/quote]

It depends on the context and I would say the majority of the time, tapping is absolutely not the way to approach lines like this one. It's actually making me shudder a bit!

It's a case of grabbing a metronome, slowing things right down and gradually speeding things up until it becomes unmanageable again, at which stage drop the tempo back and repeat. There isn't a quick way to get round straight forward, good old fashioned practice and stuff doesn't happen overnight!

EDIT - just grabbed my bass to see how I do it, index finger on the lower note, index + middle on the octave.

Edited by risingson