Why become a member? ×

Stingray love?

action_panzer

So tonight at my band's practice I brought my battered Squier Affinity P-Bass as my Stingray is out of action (doing some work to it) at the moment.

Its the first time they have commented on my tone, saying "that bass sounds awesome!"....Really?! I do love the sound of a Precision, and the neck is nice but I was surprised!

I find the 'Ray naturally a lot more punchy but I suppose the Precision always has the P character.

On a side it was interesting to note that I really had to give my amp the beans to get the same level of noise from the P!

I love my P-Bass and I love Stingrays as well. Very different sounding instruments (obviously) and I think a lot of people's ears are familiar with the tones that a P-Bass can offer due to it being probably the most recorded electric bass guitar of all time. A lot of people just gravitate towards the sound.

Now that I have a P-Bass though I'm looking for a Stingray again. I did own a 5 stringer that I bought off Gust0o^^ but I'm after a pre-EB this time around.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1378974440' post='2207140']
The Stingray has been my least favourite sounding of all the basses that I've owned, especially in the band mix - just not my bag. It's a shame, because it looked cool, played beautifully and was very well built.
[/quote]

Exactly how i felt. I had the HH, looked fantastic, sounded great at home. Took it to rehearsal, 4hrs of constant fiddling with the EQ and I could not get a tone that 'worked' with the band. The drummer at the end said "it don't sound as good as your other one". The other being my P Bass.

I recently swapped to playing a P after years of playing my stingray exclusively. i find that the Precision has something that just works, although i miss playing the stingray in my band.
doing some recordings tonight down the studio, i'll be bringing both basses and then ill pick which one works for which song! it's nice to have a choice!

I've got a love/hate relationship with Stingrays.

Currently in a love phase, bought a classic in June, and I can't stop playing it.

I've barely touched my jazz since I got it. Bought a Geddy Lee at some point in July and sold it on fairly quickly as I just knew I wouldn't use it with the Stingray around.

I actually sold a beautiful 1977 Precision to fund the purchase of the classic.

I think short of a pre-EB, the classic is the best I've played, and personally find the fit and finish better than the early ones I've played.

Anyhow, discussed it with a mate; he hates them and we got into a discussion about the Stingray being a bit of a marmite sound.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'all up to ten' sound a lot of people choose to set their stingrays at - maybe because it is so typically Stingray sounding.

I have the bass knob 1/2-3/4 up and the Treble 1/4-1/2 up which I find works for the fingerstyle funk, and when (very rarely) slapping means I can apply a bit more dynamics rather than the all-to-common 'nailing a shed together' sound.

And if I want to, the option is there to turn them up more.

The mutes are ace, the neck is ace.

But, I've been on both sides of the argument. This is my 4th musicman bass, all bought and sold in phases of love and hate.

I think a P is a classic 'plug and play' bass...whatever you do to the eq, it will still sound like a P. Of course a Stingray has its own sound but is a bit more flexible in its tone, and to non-bassists I think it probably just sounds like a bass (albeit a chunky, growly monster) whereas perhaps, dare I say it, a P has a more characterful sound?

Character doesn't necessarily = better! Christ, I've read enough on here about people's feelings towards Rickenbackers...

As a keyboards man in bands, hearing the P never did very much for me, unlike the SR. Appreciated it, but did not get wildly enthusiastic.
As a concert audience member, the same.

Based on that type of listener experience, as to the older basses, my money is on a Jazz, a Rick, a StingRay, a Danelectro 58 Longhorn even, but not on a P. Own two myself though, and thoroughly enjoy playing them in the living room.

Interesting topic.

I played the P for the first time in a while with the band last night - it sounded really good.

Thing is, I've been using the Jazz exclusively with them for the last few months - but I find to get the best 'in the mix' sound, I go for a P-type tone, as I find anything else can get a bit lost. So I thought I'd just take the P!

I think if you're playing a Stingray/Jazz, etc., maybe you do need that extra bit of tweakingor help to get it right? I love Geddy's Jazz tone, but he's got the pre-amps and such to give it more bang....a standard full-on Jazz tone just gets buried when I try it!

These things go round and round. The Stingray is a dated sound atm,and if you have a great soundman, you don't need the active element the Stingray gives you over a P, IMO. You don't need actives generally in that case... but for the local gigs, the active gives it a chance to get out of the mix, although whether that would be with a MM is up to you.

I kept my Stingray as long as I could as it was a great player, but I took the pickup and Pre out to keep it.

Edited by JTUK