Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - you've changed!

ras52

There was a thread on here about disinterestedness / unfriendliness at the Gallery a while back, basically Alex posted and apologized if he came across as grumpy but that his approach was to let people browse in peace.

My first visit was the same, didn't feel like I wanted to give them my business. But then I went back when they had a used bass that was exactly what I was looking for and the service couldn't have been better. Been back quite a few times and they've always been great.

They've got some amazing basses there so it's worth the effort in my opinion.

Surprised to hear that some people have had bad experiences at The Gallery. I've been going there for just over ten years, having bought two Stingrays from them along with several Ampeg cabs. They've also serviced my Ampeg head, restored my semi acoustic and done setups on all my basses. Always found them pleasant and helpful, with good prices (for example, a full setup is half what my nearest music shop charges). Disappointed that the cat now lives at Martins home now - it always amused me to see him sleeping amongst the guitars in the window on sunny days!
Compare that to Denmark Street where everything is still overpriced and service quality is still based on how large the staff guess your wallet is. At least if Wunjos have taken over the bass shop the obnoxious staff there are hopefully seeking employment elsewhere - last time I was in there one of the staff got all sneery because I asked if they had the Behringer BDI pedal...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1378851084' post='2205706']
I found them to be a miserable lot in there, and its a fair old hike from the station. Sorry mate. :(
[/quote]
Strangely, despite the rave reviews, and people saying how friendly they are, I have been in the Gallery three or four times and I too have found them to be miserable as well.

The first time I went there, I rang the bell, and was told that there were already a couple of customers in the shop, so had to wait outside.

Another time, I felt was being watched everywhere I went in the shop, and in case you are wondering, I'm not a spotty teenager who might be stereotypically thought of as being up to know good (unfairly I might add), I am 61 and had every intention of respecting everything in the shop, with a view to parting with some serious cash for the right gear.

But despite my reservations about the service, they do have some cracking gear in the shop.

Edited by thebrig

No offense to the Gallery because I know a lot of people who go there religiously, but I do have to say it was their lack of interest in treating me like a respectable customer that led me to Wunjo's in the first place!

(Then again I am only 20, so maybe I came across as the kind of guy who doesn't have a spare £1500 lying about for a US Deluxe Fender... :lol: )

Edited by jamesbass116

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1378840212' post='2205464']
:hi: ... and when you've finished looking around and about Denmark St. Don't forget to hop on the Northern Line (for a couple of stops) to Camden Town, and check out 'The Gallery' (Bass Merchant).. Martin, John and Alex will be happy to see you guy's!! Always a friendly bunch and some great gear to try before you buy.. *I am in no way affiliated to 'The Gallery' - just been happy with the service over the years'...

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm[/url]
[/quote]
:lol: Friendly...! Rudest staff I've ever experienced in a music shop. Seriously. I bought a bass from them which turned out to have a fault - albeit minor - the guy in there mocked my choice of amp and string, saying they were the reason I was having problems with the bass, and then went on to say I was imagining the problem and trying to convince myself it was there! Another time I took in my old Rick 4001 for a setup and some minor electronic tweaking. I hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks so I rang them and was told they hadn't started work on it because they didn't know what I wanted them to do with it. This is after I had left instructions and schematics when I dropped it off. They will never get another penny from me. Almost Basil Fawlty levels of service. But, they have nice stuff, the only place in London with such a selection I think, so people will keep going.

I was in London at the weekend for the Roger Waters gig with my guitar playing mate, and visited Denmark Street. I purchased my first P bass! Was 'show stock', and the price reduced to £365 with good quality Fender gig bag included. Couple of minor cosmetic issues that were pointed out to me, but otherwise a great bass.
Service was perfect - very friendly, more than happy to let me try out as many basses as I wanted. Had good chat with them too, genuinely nice folk.
Before buying, we browsed the rest of the street (which was pretty poor for bassists) - be lucky if one other shop assistant spoke to us.
My mate had a similar experience with guitars, and ended up dropping £800 on a slim-line Telecaster.

[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1378834296' post='2205351']
I absolutely love Wunjo's new dominance over Denmark Street. I'm not surprised they're spreading out so much as they have excellent, friendly service in all of their stores!

I've become quite well acquainted with Tom, the main guy in the Bass Centre, since buying my US Deluxe last September. He was brilliant with helping me find and get what I was after!

I'm pretty sure he also recognises every face that comes back in to the store and he's always willing to recommend I try out some basses he thinks I might fancy. Absolutely top guy.

The same can be said for the rest of the staff there too! They're all willing to have a chat and actually INTERACT with customers, unlike some of the sarcastic, smarmy people that worked there before the Wunjo's days...

I hope one day they buy out the whole street so we can just get it over with and rename it Wunjo's Street. They're singlehandedly bringing back the reputation that Denmark Street deserves: Amazing, tolerant and friendly service.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't been hired by Wunjo's to post this review! I'm just a genuine admirer of the great job they're doing :) )
[/quote]

A massive thank you for everyone's support and kind words on this thread, it means a huge amount to us. Hope to see you all in the shop again soon, from Tom, Laurence and all the Wunjo Bass staff :D

Wandered into to Wunjo's the guitar shop, yesterday and asked where the bases were. The guy behind the counter then led me to their Bass Centre shop a couple of doors away. I took a deep breath as I entered the old Bass Cellar shop! However, it was all cool as those guys are long gone and Wunjo's have a good shop there now.
Didn't stay for too long yesterday, though will be back soon, hopefully that Fender '78 fretless with maple board will still be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into Wunjo's yesterday gassing for a maple necked Jazz. I was served by Mark, but all the guys were friendly and helpful. I agonised over a couple of VM squiers before settling on a maple one. There was a great selection of Fenders and Ernie Ball stuff, plus a few oddball basses. The guys were happy to chew the cud about music stuff, very relaxed. Good service and a friendly reception . . . . Couldn't really ask for more . .

Went to the Gallery first time about 6 years ago I think.

Indeed, alex was a big "rough" on the edges. As most of us are on Monday mornings lol.....

When he saw i was coming back and became a "known face" he eased up.... (which I agree should not be that way)

At the end of the day i could not be happier with the shop (yes I had 2 or 3 down times with them, but they were always fixed to the best of their abilities)

I find that place amazing, as neither Martin or alex will come up with the usual bollox that denmark street and other shops come up with "yeh mate you need to put a bad ass on this bass, will make it sound loads better, we happent o have one in stock i can do it 25 quid cheaper just for ya mate".... or "switch pick ups and it'll be great"

or once I was looking at a P bass usa dlx worth about £1500 from what I remember

Alex answer : "in my opinion if you jsut need a decent bass, squier matt free man + a decent pick up , you're all sorted ! no need to spend that..." ... when I about to give him £1500 in cahs for the P dlx...

Martin is the best luthier who's ever worked on my basses, and I would trust him on anything regarding wood work on any bass or guitar....

I do agree that if alex is no there it is a bit hard to get informations on products (don't even ask john...)....

still i have been out of london for some years now, and was always welcomed back with some tea at the shop and long bass conversations, life conversations , vacation conversations.....

I have nothing bad to say about wunjo though, they have useless and boring gear in my opinion, but the customer service was always nice

Edited by pierreganseman

I love the gallery. Bought and sold through there and always had a good experience. Alex is a bit quiet but Martin is friendly, a guru to boot and the gear is stellar...

The new Wunjo dominated Denmark street is great too. Not where I would shop for a bass or cab/amp though...gallery for that...

[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1380303696' post='2223617']
ummm...??? :blink: haha
[/quote]

yes... every squier , a few vintage modded stuff, a few vintage fender.... doesn't qualify as interesting gear for me, they are the kind of shop you go through the whole bass range in about 45 seconds. Just by looking. Not bassdirect or the Gallery....... I spent week ends there...

but that's just me, it may have changed, but as said ... staff was always super friendly and nice.... a shop can have boring gear but
excellent service and customer care....

yes yes I dared to say it...

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1380282669' post='2223203']
I love the gallery. Bought and sold through there and always had a good experience. Alex is a bit quiet but Martin is friendly, a guru to boot and the gear is stellar...

The new Wunjo dominated Denmark street is great too. Not where I would shop for a bass or cab/amp though...gallery for that...
[/quote]

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1380379781' post='2224519']
yes... every squier , a few vintage modded stuff, a few vintage fender.... doesn't qualify as interesting gear for me, they are the kind of shop you go through the whole bass range in about 45 seconds. Just by looking. Not bassdirect or the Gallery....... I spent week ends there...

but that's just me, it may have changed, but as said ... staff was always super friendly and nice.... a shop can have boring gear but
excellent service and customer care....

yes yes I dared to say it...
[/quote]

:hi: +1 .. it's not [i]just[/i] me then! :D

[b] Wunjo's brand new Bass Centre[/b]
[color=#000000][size=3]

[indent=1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Like a child spending his formative years growing up next to a nuclear power station, Wunjo Guitars has grown a new arm. To say we are delighted to announce the opening of our brand new Bass Centre would be an understatement. You may well also be delighted because our Bass Centre is, for now, Denmark Street's only shop dedicated to the low down thump of the... [color=#ff0000]blah blah[/color][/b][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222]I work in London about 20-minutes from the shop.. and just checked out their website: - [/color][url="http://www.wunjoguitars.com/uk/wunjos-brand-new-bass-centre"]http://www.wunjoguitars.com/uk/wunjos-brand-new-bass-cent[/url][/font][/size][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]It's probably early day's ... but their range of gear is not that inspiring.. Amps: Fender; Vox; one SWR combo and over-priced Trace? A 715 combo for over a grand?!?! Effects: Actually, some unusual boutique brands.. :) and the usual suspects (Boss, DigiTech and Ibanez); but no TC Toneprint ?!?![/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Strings: Ernie Ball - and that's it!! great if you like them..[/size][/font][/indent][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nothing to worry 'The Gallery' here.......[/font][/color]

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380398736' post='2224848']
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nothing to worry 'The Gallery' here.......[/font][/color]
[/quote]

But why would it? Soap and water. The three or four times I've been in Wunjo I've seen them sell new basses to youngsters, and that is where the future lies. The twice I've been to the Gallery, it's been hard work to get in through the front door, and then you have to brave the sh*tty attitude. But, yes they do have a large stock of very expensive wood.

The price on the ticket in Wunjo is always up for negotiation, and the two basses I've been interested in they have offered a lower cash price than both GAK, Guitar Guitar, Andertons and Dawsons.

I don't buy that Wunjo's range is boring. It's reflective of most mainstream shops you'd go in, but they still manage to have some unusual stuff in. If you want boring check out Macari's or the bass selection at Wembley guitar center.

Anyway, if i'm in the mood to spend £7.5k on a Fodera while the guy taking my money has a 5h1tty attitude I'll go to the Gallery. For everything else I'll go to Wunjo's.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380408758' post='2225013']
Chalk and cheese
[/quote]

Yes. Chalk & Cheese, and you're entitled to your opinion. As an established Bassist - I need a bit more than a store shifting another box of $ender or Gi$5on every hour can provide. Of course, they can sell what they want. I'm looking for a store which has suppliers competing against each other to lower prices.

If you take my example of String ranges; The Gallery (and loads of others, including on-line) stocks seven brands (or more); which includes a long established British brand: Rotosound), compared to Wunjo's one. That makes business sense............................surely?

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380444624' post='2225184']
If you take my example of String ranges; The Gallery (and loads of others, including on-line) stocks seven brands (or more); which includes a long established British brand: Rotosound), compared to Wunjo's one. That makes business sense............................surely?
[/quote]

As a long-standing fun of Wunjo's I could easily slip into "kneejerk" mode here, but the reality is that strings can be bought far cheaper and with a far greater choice on-line.

It's good that The Gallery stocks a wide range, but I don't see stocking a very narrow range as a weakness. The Gallery charges premium prices and can afford to carry slow-moving stock; Wunjo's relies on a rapid turnover of its stock.

I should perhaps mention that the Bass Cellar used to carry a far wider range of bass strings than Wunjo's does now. I only ever bought strings there once because, despite their range, they hardly ever had the exact strings I wanted. That's not a criticism of the Bass Cellar, more a comment on how wide a range exists and how hard it is to stock them all ...