Why become a member? ×

New 'Later' Series On The Way....Yawwwwwnnnn!

spongebob

I just look in the paper to find out who's on in the show. The last one I watched was Metallica doing stuff from death magnetic.and vv brown who was quite good.

Rather than criticise , I just avoid if I don't want to watch it.
At the drive in we're great on there, as was Henry Rollins , Alice on chains.
Most of its not my cup of tea, but at least it's live music on the box.

I watch it occasionally if I happen to notice it is on when channel hopping, but it is not something I would deliberately put on, and if I do put it on I know my OH will take that opportunity to go to go to bed and watch something else.

It is very samey and although there are some good acts there, it is a very low ratio of people I haven't heard of who are good to people I have who are rubbish. Like others have said, I tend to watch it until some motown singer of the 70s comes on to do some duet with jools then I channel hop back to see if there is a CSI on or something :D

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this for the first time last night.

Don't know if it's usually like this, but is this really what passes for 'real' live music?.... That John something or other guy with the arty haircut writhing on the floor with emotion, whilst singing in a style that made him sound like he had a kazoo stuck in his windpipe... and what was the deal with that woman shouting random notes whilst playing air guitar, accompanied by a bloke playing a box?... utter pants...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381910240' post='2245155']
Watched this for the first time last night.

Don't know if it's usually like this, but is this really what passes for 'real' live music?.... That John something or other guy with the arty haircut writhing on the floor with emotion, whilst singing in a style that made him sound like he had a kazoo stuck in his windpipe... and what was the deal with that woman shouting random notes whilst playing air guitar, accompanied by a bloke playing a box?... utter pants...

Rob
[/quote]

Have to say it was a particularly challenging show last night :D

I always record it so I can fast forward through the stuff I'm not interested in, last night it was most of it. But every now and then I find something I really didn't expect to enjoy so it's worth the effort.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1381911585' post='2245176']

I always record it so I can fast forward through the stuff I'm not interested in, last night it was most of it. But every now and then I find something I really didn't expect to enjoy so it's worth the effort.
[/quote]

Yeah I guess recording it is the way to go...

I thought the guy with the beard singing over acoustic guitar was alright. Although even he had this over stylized voice everyone seems to be going for these days... kept singing in short stabs that rose in pitch as the phrase went on. Kinda like he'd just taken something hot out of the oven and was looking around for somewhere to put it before the heat burnt through his oven gloves...

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1381910658' post='2245160']
At least it's a live music show though instead of autotuned singing to a backing track.
[/quote]

This. The nature of the show means you can't please everyone all the time.
And sometimes the whole show will please no-one at all except for the participants mums!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381912335' post='2245184']
...kept singing in short stabs that rose in pitch as the phrase went on. Kinda like he'd just taken something hot out of the oven and was looking around for somewhere to put it before the heat burnt through his oven gloves...
[/quote]

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Stayin' alive! Stayin' Alive!

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1381911585' post='2245176']

[/quote]

Yep. I used to FFWD it but now I play it as if I've got the radio on. Although sometimes FFWD still becomes necessary ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1381910658' post='2245160']
.....At least it's a live music show though instead of autotuned singing to a backing track.
[/quote]

+1 indeed :)
Any show which promotes live music is a good thing

Although I have to say, I used to watch it more regularly
Now I watch it rather less frequently
Last nights' show was probably the worst I've seen

To me, the quality of the show has taken a complete nose-dive
Shame, as it could be so good

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381914091' post='2245223']
How would you improve it (apart from having your own band on, obviously)? :D
[/quote]

Well after my first time watching and enormous sample size of five bands, I've obviously come to the only logical conclusion...

We cannot improve it... there is no hope... the future is bleak... music is dead.....

Later isn't [i]sooo[/i] bad...! I mean, it's still the best of the bunch on terrestrial telly.

I'm not a fan of Jules' own music (big band stuff leaves me cold) and I do find some of his guests very irksome - from celeb pals like Hugh Laurie at one end of the scale [i](you've already got one glittering career, pal, stop stealing someone else's limelight)[/i] to Liam Gallagher at the other [i](grow up and stop making my skin crawl with embarassment)[/i].

[size=6]BUT...[/size] I like big butts and I cannot lie... I still enjoy watching it. It's proper 'live' music. Well, pre-recorded live music. And I like that it's often very eclectic. Good and bad, it still holds my attention and I enjoy stumbling across the occasional rare gem that I might not otherwise get to hear about.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381914091' post='2245223']
How would you improve it (apart from having your own band on, obviously)? :D
[/quote]

Oh, I wouldn't recommend my own band playing on it for a start ;)

For me, it's been the type of bands they've had on there lately
nothing much inspiring, and all a bit "bland"
There are plenty of great musicians and bands out there,
but whoever is scouting for them or selecting them may be where the problem lies

You know what I'd like to see?
I think they could easily have a live link-up with another, local BBC studio somewhere,
and have a new bands slot.... or an unsigned acts slot somewhere in the programme
perhaps the camera crew could go out to a gig, or session somewhere on location?

Why not have a special edition of the programme, recorded live at one of the lesser known festivals?

Difficult, what with time constraints, I know
but a fresh approach to the format might give it a bit of a lift....

I do like Jools, as a presenter, and as a musician - top bloke
And I'd hate to see the show disappear - but I've heard a lot of people say they think it's not as good as it once was

I had an OMG moment, a few years back, when Jools had Seasick Steve on the show
Never heard anything quite like it before! great stuff :)
I suppose I'm really looking for one of those moments every now & again ?

Marc