Why become a member? ×

Wireless?

Phil Adams

Good. Something to consider is the case type. The stompbox-type receivers will happily sit on the floor or on an amp/cab. I wouldn't feel happy with the larger oblong box type on the floor, so if you've got effects pedals on the input side then that means running a long lead from the receiver to the effects input. Also, always make sure you have spare batteries sitting where you can grab them easily.

For sound-checking, and if you have clumsy band-mates, they are worth the money. The only slight downside is extra setting up time, but if you have a small amp, you can incorporate the amp and receiver in a racking unit, so all connected up and ready to go.

Good investment - stay digital for best results with bass.

Sony DWZ, Shure GLXD (or ULXD if you are feeling particularly flush... Although you will need a license for this one too), Stageclix, Line6. All of have their plus and negatives... Such as AA batteries vs non AA, rack mount vs stomp box type... Battery powered receivers vs mains only etc... But any of the ones I've mentioned will see you ok.

I pulled my old Laney DP150 head off a stack in 1988 at the old JB's on Dudley - it was a Thursday....

It bounced and sounded even better after! Been wireless ever since.

Started with Nady 101, then a Samson Stage II (which was awesome and still works 20 years later) and I changed to Line 6 after the licencing changes. Never bothered with true diversity either - One Ariel - One Love!

It's great for FOH checks and also jumping about in the crowd during Killing in the Name of..... ;)

Edited by grunge666

[b]Line 6 Relay G30[/b] for me, small and compact and takes hardly any time at all to set up, and has been faultless!

[b]£219[/b]

Relay G30 broadcasts its robust signal over the 2.4GHz band. This keeps the signal free from many kinds of interference. For added security, Relay G30 employs exclusive signal protection technology: it broadcasts an encrypted data stream on six channels simultaneously. Traditional wireless systems, on the other hand, are susceptible to dropouts, static and many other kinds of interference. Broadcasting over congested UHF bands, their signals may be affected by interference generated as far away as 160 kilometres, or more.

[attachment=143452:G30.jpg]

Edited by thebrig

Maybe if you're playing the NEC or Wembley or somewhere. Personally (no one take offence pleeeeeease), I just find the whole thing about wireless when you're playing pubs or clubs totally ridiculous and a bit silly :D.

Kinda well I want to pretend I'm a rock star for the night :D.

How many decent cables can you buy for the price of a reliable wireless ?

Personally I'd hate to be relying on a 9v battery to stay working.

I use a 4 metre cable, with a spare in my bag incase, but in 20 years of gigging I've never actually had to change.

I have played twice with bands using radio mic's (these are actually a good idea), but one of them packed up once thanks to a faulty battery (Duracell, changed before the gig and brand new out of the box too).

Edited by ambient

Certainly no offence taken on my part :), but it does feel good to be unshackled from the amp, and I absolutely hate treading on cables :angry:

As others have said, it is great to be able to do a sound check with your own ears, and sometimes you might need to walk across the stage for a quick word, or even off it whilst setting up etc, and it just feels great not having to worry about trailing cables around.

As for pretending to be a rock star for the night? I'm 61, so I'm well past that I'm afraid! :wacko:

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1378804165' post='2204734']
Maybe if you're playing the NEC or Wembley or somewhere. Personally (no one take offence pleeeeeease), I just find the whole thing about wireless when you're playing pubs or clubs totally ridiculous and a bit silly :D.
[/quote]

No offense taken :)

Strangely, perhaps, I find small pub gigs - the ones where everybody's on top of each other - can benefit enormously from going wireless. No more treading on each others leads and getting tangled up.

And if you're doing your own sound, it's sooo much easier to wander out front and hear for yourself how things sound.

Mine was bought used from here, for the price of a couple of decent long leads, and has been totally reliable for me.

Yeah. I'd go with the guy who said about the cramped small pub stage area.

I usually have just about enough space to move one step in each direction. Very cramped - and I find wireless helps me to be uncluttered with less danger of standing on it or the cable pulling something else over.

It's not a money thing to me. I have the loot - so I buy the stuff I want or need. It's a bit like my TV control. I remember the very early remotes which were wired ..... a bloomin big cable trailing from the telly to my seat on the sofa. Nobody in their right mind would want that - so why would I want the same when on stage?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1378826783' post='2205180']
I remember the very early remotes which were wired ..... a bloomin big cable trailing from the telly to my seat on the sofa. Nobody in their right mind would want that - so why would I want the same when on stage?
[/quote]

Good way to think about it!

I have drifted back to cable just so it is less kit to set up but when I was playing midi pedals regularly I found wireless an absolute godsend as I often found the bass cable would get stuck under a pedal or get between my foot and the pedal, always just where I didn't need it basically. I opted for a cheap Samson plug in job with the little receiver that look slike a stomp pedal, worked fine.