Why become a member? ×

Getting the Beat

Si600

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1378411275' post='2200015']
I can't be the only one who finds it really difficult hearing or recognising the first beat of a bar, so any tips on how to find it?
[/quote]
Usually I don't find it a problem but some songs start in an odd place and mislead you as to where the 1 is. A perfect example is 'Sex On Fire'.

admit it youre stuck on SOF arent you ;)

listen to Bootsy - he teach you all bout the ONE

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1378447941' post='2200330']
Can you count? If it's in 4/4 then you only need to count to 4, 5/4 requires an extra syllable. Ask the drummer if he'll do the counting out loud to start with.
[/quote]

haha - personally i find 'not conciously counting' them better than counting - if i try and start counting in my head and play at same time i probably stop breathing

some fives are obvious fives and sound clumsy but what about the real clever fives that dont immediately strike you as being a five?

Dave Brubecks Take Five is a very skilfully crafted 5 as is the chorus in Wind Up Working in a Gas Station

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378417240' post='2200160']
Usually if you miss it, just wait for a bit and you'll find another one comes just after the last beat of the current bar.
[/quote] if you miss a few bars its called "the Blues".

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378449167' post='2200340']
some fives are obvious fives and sound clumsy but what about the real clever fives that dont immediately strike you as being a five?

Dave Brubecks Take Five is a very skilfully crafted 5 as is the chorus in Wind Up Working in a Gas Station
[/quote]

Wait until Pink Floyd's Money makes the setlist! :lol:

I've always counted the beats & bars in my head (it was a good skill when I DJ'd as it meant that melodies, etc didn't fall in the middle of another).

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1378411275' post='2200015']
I can't be the only one who finds it really difficult hearing or recognising the first beat of a bar, so any tips on how to find it?
[/quote]

Some songs catch me out. Listen to this and see if the drums come in as you expect:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIVU2AHfdeQ[/url][/media]

Edited by dincz

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1378421387' post='2200240']
Usually I don't find it a problem but some songs start in an odd place and mislead you as to where the 1 is. A perfect example is 'Sex On Fire'.
[/quote]
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1378447941' post='2200330']
Can you count? If it's in 4/4 then you only need to count to 4, 5/4 requires an extra syllable. Ask the drummer if he'll do the counting out loud to start with.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what it is, but I can't hear beat one, whether it's in 4/4 or comes in late. My teacher (Hi Matt :P) started me off on Cissy Strut this week, not only is it on the off beat but when he played some drum tracks I had real difficulty picking out which beat was the beginning of the bar or not. I listened to some stuff in the car on the way home and even then I'm not sure I got it right. :( Maybe I should become a guitarist :P

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1378456614' post='2200450']
I'm not sure what it is, but I can't hear beat one, whether it's in 4/4 or comes in late. My teacher (Hi Matt :P) started me off on Cissy Strut this week, not only is it on the off beat but when he played some drum tracks I had real difficulty picking out which beat was the beginning of the bar or not. I listened to some stuff in the car on the way home and even then I'm not sure I got it right. :( Maybe I should become a guitarist :P
[/quote]
Can you hear beat 2 & 4? Maybe you're a reggae bassist. :P

Cissy Strut is 88 bpm. Put a metronome on at 88bpm & get the speed of the 1234. Stop the metronome, put Cissy Strut on & count the 1234 at the speed the metronome was going. The snare hits the 2 & the 4 & another on the 4+ (you don't need to count that one). If you can find the 2&4 then the 1&3 will come easier. D this without bass in hand, just learn the rhythm of the song.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378451184' post='2200367']
if you miss a few bars its called "the Blues".
[/quote]

Listening to any blues-based riff will help. The chord changes occur on the first beat of bars 1, 5, 7, 9 and 11. If you can't identify the chord changes either you really are in trouble! :blink:

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380724691' post='2229580']
Listening to any blues-based riff will help. The chord changes occur on the first beat of bars 1, 5, 7, 9 and 11. If you can't identify the chord changes either you really are in trouble! :blink:
[/quote]

Though watch out for those blues songs with the "fast change" - up to the IV on the second bar, then back down to the I for bars 3 and 4!