Why become a member? ×

Compressor - first or last?

molan

I've fooled around with effects over the years but never really needed a pedalboard. However It looks like I may need a few pedals in a new project so I'm going to put a little board together.

Core components will be:
Compressor
Octaver
Envelope Filter
Synth (might not need this one so could just be the other three & a tuner)

My loose plan would be to keep the compressor always on but the other three will probably only be used in isolation. The use of compression would be fairly mild. I have an option on a Diamond which sounds very musical to me or an Aguilar which which seems a bit more 'traditional' in the way it compresses the signal.

The core reason for using a compressor is to even out the overall sound, not as an 'effect' in itself.

I've read a few theories about putting the compressor first to send a nice even signal to the effects and, conversely, to stick it at the end of a chain like this to iron out any inconsistencies in the signal that have been generated by the effects.

I've got plenty of time to experiment with each of the pedals to try and make my mind up but I just wondered what our resident gurus here thought (not only about the chain but whether I might be better off with either pedal)?

my humble opinion is that both compressors would be a great choice, alltough I'd prefer the diamond. though I ended up with the xotic sp which really does for me what you expect. front or end depends on the other pedals, so you should simply try what suits you best.

1/2 the fun of getting pedals is playing about with their order until you find what works best for you.
I'd also consider adding a dirt pedal of some sort. Having octave, dirt & filter is a good starting point to produce some great synth like sounds. Though having a synth pedal too could be rather useful.

Important part..... Have fun! :D

Synth and Envelope filter before the compressor as they need the full dynamic range of your playing.

Octaver after the compressor. Octave pedals like a smooth and even signal to get the best performance out of them.

But (as always) there is a slight issue.... An octave pedal in front of the envelope filter gives a super funky 1970s tone. Some octave pedals (like the MicroPog) ruin the dynamics of playing and are not suited that that particular use. But a good squelchy analogue octave like the MXR is perfect for use in front of the filter.

So you really need 2 filters in different places!

It depends on what you want really, if you want a compressed tone going in to the octaver and filter then you'd have it in front of them but if you wanted to compress the peaks you get from some pedals (like a fuzz or raw distorted tone) then you might like it at the end to iron out the tone. I use a compression pedal at the beginning but have being toying with the idea of getting a limiter for the end of the pedal board also because some of my pedals give peaks.

For your setup it would probably be best at the beginning but that would be my choice. It really all about experimenting with them.

I have my dbx comp on permanently in the FX loop of my amp. But I would agree that you should try out all possibles and see what works best. The Diamond is a superb bass comp but it is more of a 'sound' comp than a 'remedial' comp. If that makes sense.

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...diamobass.shtml[/url]

Edited by discreet

I use a setting similar to what you're looking. I'm currently running (in order) Pitchblack>MXR Octave Deluxe>B3K>3Leaf GR>Multicomp. Here are my findings:

- I opted by using the comp at the end because i like how my pedals respond to my playing dynamics. Having the comp at the end i can even out peaks produced by the OD and Filter pedals.

- I only use the comp (allways on) to tame the signal peaks, not to boost any low signals. I found the Multicomp to be a great choice to get this result. I might trade it for the MXR comp sometime in a near future, it works like the multicomp but has a more "rich" timbre.

- I found the the three fx units work better in this order when i use them simultaneously (oct+OD for heavy stuff / oct+EF for synth / OD+EF for solos / oct+OD+EF for synth heaven)

- Obviously, the tuner is always first on the chain so i can mute the sound and unplug the jack when bass is not in use.

Hope it helps, cheers

(edited to add more info)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Your playing dynamics will interact with pedals, especially your envelope follower, but also any distortion pedals. You may want to manipulate this interaction, in which case you'd need a compressor before these pedals.

If you like all of your sounds and just want to prevent any nasty peaks, then a limiter at the end of your chain is what you need.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1378294145' post='2198171']
(...)

If you like all of your sounds and just want to prevent any nasty peaks, then a limiter at the end of your chain is what you need.
[/quote]

That's what i use my multicomp for but i wouldn't trade it for a limiter, i prefer the way the compressor reacts to the peaks. It's just personal taste.

• 2 months later...