Why become a member? ×

Compressor - first or last?

molan

Guest FretNoMore

I like the compressor near the beginning of the effects chain, though if possible after the envelope filter (you may want full dynamics into the filter) and before overdrive pedals (to avoid amplifying the noise they tend to generate).

I've tried it in many positions though and it's really down to what you like - there's no right or wrong, experiment and trust your ears.

If there's any single thing that should tell you to experiment and find your own way, it's a thread like this. When I first started to think about using effects I poured over these kinda discussions, but they inevitably become a morass of contradictory opinions, theories, and justifications as to the "best" method, one way or another.

A wise man once said ... "Opinions are like @rseholes .... Everybody has one, and they all stink."

Just experiment man, find your sound :)

There's no right and wrong. It depends how you use the compressor. And the other fx for that matter. And what you want to get out of the whole thing.

As a general guide to get you started

Compressor first if you want to even out the sound of your bass all the time, you can set it up so it just ticklesthe peaks or squashes the whole sound. this will have an effect on the sound you get from the other pedals.

Compressor last if you want to even out the sound coming from the other pedals. Generally most of them will boost the level a bit (especially if you use a few at once), so getting the compressor to kick in at the right level without squashing too much can be tricky.

I find that if you compress the effects with the bass sound it sounds less layered, and more like one sound if that makes any sense. A bit like, when you compress the reverb with the lead vocal - it sounds more like the natural room sound rather than a reverb effect added on top...

So experiment away, work out what suits you best :)