Why become a member? ×

Passive bass suggestions please!

Mornats

Yep, it's another one of those threads...

Here's the story. I love my two Overwaters (the Tanglewood ones) and my passive P/J classic J is my main gigging bass. However I've just played a Fender Jaguar that the bassist from other band from tonight's gig was playing and it's so nice, and light and easy to play. My Overwaters are like tanks, they're a few inches bigger than Fender basses (despite both being 34" scale) and weight a frikking tonne. Around a third heavier than the Jaguar I played I reckon.

So I want to try out some basses as a replacement. Budget is probably up to £600, new or used, I don't mind. Well, used will get me more bass :)

Has to be passive, I don't like the active sound. I love the P/J pickup config on my current bass and I really do want the option of panning between them or sitting in the middle of the two pups. Could be a J/J, a P/J or something else.

Has to be light - no heavier than a, well, standard P bass I guess, and must be "normal" size or smaller but not short scale so I'm looking at 34" scale still. Normal size means not the behemoth size of my Overwaters :)

I used to be anti-Fender (booooorrrrriiiinnnnnggg) but I'm finding myself gravitating towards them now so they're actually top of my list.

To give you an idea I'm thinking Fender Aerodyne, Fender Modern Player Jazz or something similar. I'm not adverse to trying any brand and my personality usually favour the non-mainstream brands (hence no Fenders so far in my list of currently owned basses).

So, what would you recommend I try in my quest for a replacement main bass?

Loving my Fender Blacktop Jazz.
Lovely easy neck and a massive sound with a bit of Stingrayish cut when you fade to the rear P pickup. Bit unusual too which is nice.
Heres a soundclip of one below

https://www.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix

There is no better bass IMO within that price range than the new Yamaha TRBX504. Yes, it's active (sorry), but it's passive too ! Just flick a switch, and all is passive, and the you have all the active sounds at your disposal too. It's a unity gain active too, so no volume jump going to active.
It's got a lovely slim neck, is light as a feather and plays sooooo easily. Amazing sounds too.
Thoroughly recommended. Mine's going nowhere!
I can't believe anyone would really prefer playing a Chinese or mexican Fender over one of these.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1377121658' post='2183778']
Loving my Fender Blacktop Jazz.
Lovely easy neck and a massive sound with a bit of Stingrayish cut when you fade to the rear P pickup. Bit unusual too which is nice.
Heres a soundclip of one below

[url="https://www.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix"]https://www.box.com/...p2y1612vfjh9dix[/url]
[/quote]

Hmm, might look at those, although I do prefer the proper J sound at the bridge end but I can hear that sound acoustically so maybe it's more due to where I'm playing (directly over the bridge pup) rather than the pup itself. Added to my list now cheers :)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1377122346' post='2183795']
Fender modern player jaguar.
Love mine. Easy to play, light and sounds huge!
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to trying one! Shame they took the Henry Ford stance on available colours - you have any colour so long as it's black...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1377154883' post='2183954']
There is no better bass IMO within that price range than the new Yamaha TRBX504. Yes, it's active (sorry), but it's passive too ! Just flick a switch, and all is passive, and the you have all the active sounds at your disposal too. It's a unity gain active too, so no volume jump going to active.
It's got a lovely slim neck, is light as a feather and plays sooooo easily. Amazing sounds too.
Thoroughly recommended. Mine's going nowhere!
I can't believe anyone would really prefer playing a Chinese or mexican Fender over one of these.
[/quote]

Active basses with a passive switch are fine, I like versatility. I've never really considered Yammys or Ibanez's or other Japanese makes, despite being a big fan of Japanese bass manufacturing. It's worth chucking this one onto my testing list.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1377156560' post='2183971']
You really need a Streamer.... light, loads of bass and growl.

You'll need to save a bit though, but you might be lucky
[/quote]

Hell yeah. I've gassed for a Warwick since the 90s (hence why I've got a Rockbass Corvette to try them out) but mine's active so I really need to try a passive one. Shame that Warwick tend not to get their basses into many shops really.

Good suggestions so far, keep them coming! This should hopefully be a long process for me so I should have time to try out everything.

G&L L-2000. Might be able to pick up a second hand USA model for that if one shops around, easily get a new Tribute for that. Passive EQ, there is an "active" setting but that's just a line boost. There is one active tone shaping thing - the "treble boost" setting and I think it sounds terrible so I never use it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377169077' post='2184173']
So you were previously anti-Fender but now you're thinking of getting a Fender?
Why not just go straight ahead and get yourself one, then? I'm sure it'll be really great. No problem.

Oh sorry - that was a passive/aggressive bass suggestion.
[/quote]

I was previously anti-Fender as it just seemed like the safe boring unimaginative option. A bit like buying a Ford Focus IMO. And I've never been one to just go with the flow like that. But now having tried loads of different basses and hearing their sounds I'm simply starting to appreciate what the masses are appreciating. Nice pun btw. :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1377172296' post='2184243']
I was previously anti-Fender as it just seemed like the safe boring unimaginative option.
[/quote]

Heh, heh. Well, I know what you mean. But just because there are loads of boring Fender players doesn't mean [i]you'll[/i] be one.
As always it's the player wot makes the interesting sounds, not the bass. :)

Why not just get any bass that you like the feel of?

If it's active only just rip the pre-amp out and replace it with your passive control configuration of choice. Most basses don't have a pre-amp specially matched to the tonal characteristics of the wood or pickups so it won't matter if you replace it with something you find more convenient.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377172498' post='2184249']
Heh, heh. Well, I know what you mean. But just because there are loads of boring Fender players doesn't mean you'll be one.
As always it's the player wot makes the interesting sounds, not the bass. :)
[/quote]

Indeed!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377172978' post='2184264']
Why not just get any bass that you like the feel of?

If it's active only just rip the pre-amp out and replace it with your passive control configuration of choice. Most basses don't have a pre-amp specially matched to the tonal characteristics of the wood or pickups so it won't matter if you replace it with something you find more convenient.
[/quote]

Maybe in the future... I'd probably just wreck it and be unhappy with it at the moment and I'm looking for more of an out-of-the-box solution just now. However, see my next point:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1377173545' post='2184273']
Why not get a Squier from FleaBay and mod it to have what you want.
[/quote]

Yes, I'd quite fancy getting a sound, yet scruffy/properly beaten up (but not faked/roadworn) cheapo bass and chucking some Nordstrand pups and an East preamp (with passive option of course) in there. The it would sound awesome and I could chuck it around.

Interesting to see a lot of Yammy love coming out. My local PMT has loads of them, and a lot of Ibbys too. It's gonna be a whole weekend of bass testing! And this weekend is 0% finance weekend too... I can see my next post being a NBD one!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1377169521' post='2184189']
Yamaha BB1024(x)?

Vintage passive tones by the bucketload, looks lovely and cracking build quality. Second hand costs maybe £500-600.

Truckstop
[/quote]

What Truckstop said. Got mine for 350 trouser flapping bargain.

Hiya, seeing as we're in the same band I thought I'd give you my opinion :)

Trouble is most of my ideas have been suggested already

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1377179486' post='2184395'] Schecter? BB [/quote]

Agreed love those high end BB's and a goodrange of tones on this Schecter and good quality for the price, see vid here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NVj6u5reiX8

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1377169521' post='2184189'] Yamaha BB1024(x)? Vintage passive tones by the bucketload, looks lovely and cracking build quality. Second hand costs maybe £500-600. Truckstop [/quote]

or of course Fender Aerodyne s or jazzers. What ever you get ,make sure it has a bit of thump for when we need it!

Edited by Pinball

You`ve played a Fender Jaguar and liked it, despite it being a totally unfamiliar bass - I`m assuming you`d never played it before. That would be where I`d start - your hands and back have already told you you like them.

The Modern Player Jaguar comes with P/J configuration, and is passive. The regular Jag has J/J configuration, and can be used passive or active, and has many different possibilities re series, parallel etc.

Start with what you`ve already found you like.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377193277' post='2184671']
You`ve played a Fender Jaguar and liked it, despite it being a totally unfamiliar bass - I`m assuming you`d never played it before. That would be where I`d start - your hands and back have already told you you like them.

The Modern Player Jaguar comes with P/J configuration, and is passive. The regular Jag has J/J configuration, and can be used passive or active, and has many different possibilities re series, parallel etc.

Start with what you`ve already found you like.
[/quote]

Ah yes, and they're top of my list to try out :)

Loads of suggestions, thanks everyone, this will be a fun time :) Very interested to try the G&Ls to be honest.