Why become a member? ×

Irrational dislike?

Wooks79

Squier. Because deep down it's not a Fender.

Fender. Because everyone has one.

Stingrays. That cool hip Fender-alternative that... everyone has. And everyone expects you to play RHCP.

Those GruvGear FretWraps and similar mute things that go up by the nut. An early warning of incoming incessant bass soloing.

Chorus on bass. Why?

People who say: "this bass was 'born' on...". No it wasn't. Your Fodera did not emerge from a pregnant woman.

Keyboard players.

Vocalists complaining about this week's cold/flu/virus/sore throat.

People who wear sunglasses inside on-stage.

Guitarists who run two amps in 'stereo'. No-one cares.

PRS guitars.

Ibanez. Association with silly excessive guitar solos.

Musicians who ask for "just me and the lead vocal" in their in-ear monitors.

Lists.

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1376525779' post='2175635']
Squier. Because deep down it's not a Fender.

Fender. Because everyone has one.

Stingrays. That cool hip Fender-alternative that... everyone has. And everyone expects you to play RHCP.

Those GruvGear FretWraps and similar mute things that go up by the nut. An early warning of incoming incessant bass soloing.

Chorus on bass. Why?

People who say: "this bass was 'born' on...". No it wasn't. Your Fodera did not emerge from a pregnant woman.

Keyboard players.

Vocalists complaining about this week's cold/flu/virus/sore throat.

People who wear sunglasses inside on-stage.

Guitarists who run two amps in 'stereo'. No-one cares.

PRS guitars.

Ibanez. Association with silly excessive guitar solos.

Musicians who ask for "just me and the lead vocal" in their in-ear monitors.

Lists.
[/quote]
Now that's a good proper, stream of consciousness, rant. Nice :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1376554345' post='2175743']
It's clear from reading this thread that a majority of bassists don't know what "irrational" means ;-)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It always amuses me when people freak out when they see a spider and other people try to calm them down by saying things like 'it can't hurt you' ** and 'you're much bigger that it is'. Irrational fear of spiders is just that - irrational.

[size=3]** a pretty safe assumption in the UK. May not apply in other countries. [/size]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1376557027' post='2175794']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It always amuses me when people freak out when they see a spider and other people try to calm them down by saying things like 'it can't hurt you' ** and 'you're much bigger that it is'. Irrational fear of spiders is just that - irrational.

[size=3]** a pretty safe assumption in the UK. May not apply in other countries. [/size]
[/quote]

Ahhh but it depends what exactly your fear is. I hate spiders. I hate anything small enough to be on my person without my knowledge or permission :D

Spiders are small enough and sneaky enough to sit on my shoulder, silently mocking me and I wouldn't know anything about it. So I feel my fear of spiders in that respect is rational.

Conversely I am not afraid of cows. It would be almost impossible for a cow to be on me without my knowledge. Thus I have no fear of cows.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1376511307' post='2175334']
All music company merchandise, caps, t-shirts, polo shirts god forbid. All that horrible wearable sh*t. I mean WHO the f*** would be seen in a Warwick baseball cap? (I have one somewhere) A Hartke tee-shirt? An Alleva-Coppolo skirt?
[/quote]

All band 'corporate uniform'.

Band polo shirts or black shirt, white tie etc type dressing up.

If a covers band I'm in start talking about 'image' I'm off. Leave image for the originals bands to be, um, original, or not...

Edited by TimR

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1376557745' post='2175815']
Cows kill more people in the UK than spiders, so you should be afraid of them. Very afraid.
[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/hoofed-and-dangerous-britains-killer-cows-1776775.html"]http://www.independe...ws-1776775.html[/url]
[/quote]

Which would be worse....one cow sized spider or one hundred spider sized cows?

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1376556655' post='2175788']
...I'll still be up-trading to a thunderbird when I can afford it...
[/quote]

Tha'ts down-trading. :D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1376557482' post='2175807']
...It would be almost impossible for a cow to be on me without my knowledge.
[/quote]

I had a cow on me this very morning - not without my knowledge, admittedly.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1376557869' post='2175817']
Which would be worse....one cow sized spider or one hundred spider sized cows?
[/quote]

One cow-sized spider. It would be able to carry you off in its jaws and cocoon you alive to be eaten later. A hundred spider-sized cows would just moo very faintly and do lots and lots of really tiny cow pats.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376558086' post='2175824']
One cow-sized spider. It would be able to carry you off in its jaws and cocoon you alive to be eaten later. A hundred spider-sized cows would just moo very faintly and do lots and lots of really tiny cow pats.
[/quote]

Would a cow sized spider have balls? I'm not scared of anything I can kick in the balls.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376558086' post='2175824']
[/quote]

Cows fart a lot, so I'd imagine 100 mini cows together would be pretty stinky.

I utterly abhor anything by Rickenbacker with a passion, I dislike Gibson, Ashdown (as mentioned previously) headless basses, Fender Custom Shop Relic instruments - or any reliced instrument for that matter, single cut basses (again, mentioned previously) pointy basses, Joyo pedals, LED's, gold bridge/machines - tacky, tacky, TACKY! Basses with fanned frets - why do these things exist..?!!
Ooooh, almost forgot - slapping a bass! No need!! Ever!!
I could go on...
:D

Edited by johnDeereJack

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1376507395' post='2175227']
It got me thinking, are there any original bass body shapes that subsequently had a guitar equivalent?
I've sat here trying to think of one for a few minutes and have come up blank.
There are loads to choose from the other way around.
[/quote]

Precision / Strat? Precision was '51, Strat was '54. Ok, body isn't exactly the same, but I think it counts.

Also, going by the responses on this thread, would the most irrationally disliked bass be a black, roadworn Precision with a torty scratchplate and a maple 'board?