Why become a member? ×

SHOOTOUT ...fender Jazz , P, V musicman stingray, bongo

funkgod

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1376256676' post='2171505']
I don't know why people always EQ Stingrays up like that, they can do so much more!

Also, welcome back :)
[/quote]

Thank you :)

I like Stingrays, just not the sound of that one on that clip.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1376287192' post='2171636']
I remember this from a while back:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/200630-rather-good-bass-comparison-video/page__p__1991120__hl__rather%20good%20yet%20comparison__fromsearch__1#entry1991120"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1991120[/url]

Love that Bongo tone
[/quote]

Bugger, sorry i must of missed that,

i did not like the bongo at all with the fingers it almost sounded compressed, not open enough.
poss an EQ thing?

Edited by funkgod

Interesting video. Being absolutely honest, I didn't rate the tone of any of them. Too clanky on all of them. The fretless sounded most appealing to my ears. And Bongos must be one of the most ugly "mainstream" basses ever. Ugh.

Great video though and some really nice playing. Just put some flats on and tweak the EQ to my tastes...

I don't think the Bongo looks ugly at all . I never have done . It looks unapologetically modern , and sounds that way too , but I think its' stylised lines and 3-D chamfering look beautiful . I like the sound of all the basses , although I like the sound of the fretless and the Stingray 5 the least , and the Bongo would be my favourite . .

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1376347130' post='2172747']
And the lower horn was a bit of a pain in the thigh.
[/quote]

Its only drawback imho.
That and the fact I didn't like it in this vid! :)

Its looks are stellar in my view, and the only worthy competitor to the Steinberger headless.
Courses for horses, I presume.

best,
bert

In general, in straight up comparisons, active tend to be preferable because they're hotter and have a wider frequency range. Passive (especially single coil) basses need to be amplified more in order to match the output. That in itself may make passive, single coils seem inferior, but once that adjustment is made, they have a tonal quality that actives basses can't match. In fact, basses with preamps can sound a little "false."

I like active and passive and single coil and humbucker all for different reasons. But head to head, active HB will always seem more "present" -- to me at least.

Edited by Lowender

I agree the Stingray could of been eq'd a little better, maybe he tried to set it flat! We all know the bass full up and treble to taste is the way it's done on a ray. (at least on the 2eq)

I'm also very much in the passive club when it comes to bass's.. at least for what I do. For some reason I like active soloed and recorded in a controlled environment.. but using one live with the band I'm always fiddling and never completely happy.

Saying all that, another Ray is deffo on the radar at some point.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1376403719' post='2173427']
I agree the Stingray could of been eq'd a little better, maybe he tried to set it flat! We all know the bass full up and treble to taste is the way it's done on a ray. (at least on the 2eq)

I'm also very much in the passive club when it comes to bass's.. at least for what I do. For some reason I like active soloed and recorded in a controlled environment.. but using one live with the band I'm always fiddling and never completely happy.

Saying all that, another Ray is deffo on the radar at some point.
[/quote]
I have a John East 2 band in my Classic5 (I'm not the only one either) and for the first time ever on a 2 EQ ray I dont use the bass flat out, maybe I have turned a corner but more likely the JE just has a beefier output :)