Why become a member? ×

Recommend a bass (£350) - for a mate.

lefrash

This is his criteria:

4 strings
nothing weirdly shaped
he is learning slap, and is really digging that style (not just a fad, he's been practicing for a while)
like the musicman style pickup sound.
Was looking at the squire VM jazz.

I'm pretty stuck as I've not been in the bass buying market for a while, so what do you recommend? I said go 2nd hand, but what is good for £350 these days? I also thought about something with an active pickup if he really wants to get that slap bass tone.

He might even be along as I suggested coming here for a wee browse.

Fraser.

Yamaha RBX 374, I think they're great basses for not a lot of cash.
Nice modern sound for slap from the pair of 'Stingrayesque' pickups and will do everything from old motown thump to bright, grindy modern tones.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1374948806' post='2155174']
Yamaha RBX 374, I think they're great basses for not a lot of cash.
Nice modern sound for slap from the pair of 'Stingrayesque' pickups and will do everything from old motown thump to bright, grindy modern tones.
[/quote]

One up from that, the new Yamaha TRBX basses (304 or 504, around £250 and £430 respectively). Way better than the old RBX range for a similar price. :)

Hi guys, I'm the aforementiones mate and this is my first post on Basschat. Thanks for all the advice so far, all taken on board and appreciated.

Here's my thinking:

The Tanglewater is an awesome bass and fantastic bargain. It makes very little sense not to pursue that, but the only problem is not being able to play one. I know, beggars and choosers etc - but I have questions. Will the neck be right for my hands? How about the weight? How compatible with my amp is it (a Fender Bronco)? Sad to say, if I can't road test it, I can't buy it :-(

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass seems like the obvious choice - versatile, lovely looking bass, great range of tones IMO, and of course wonderfully affordable.

However.......as Fraser says, I'm primarily playing funk and slap , and my favourite slap tone in the known universe is the one which emanates from Stingray basses. It's in that unmistakable growl and click - it just does something to me on a sexual level (lol). My budget falls significantly short of the real deal, and even the less expensive MM basses. This therefore leaves me the Sub Ray 4 as my only option, other than trawling the net looking for a second hand bargain.

But.....how versatile.is the Sub Ray 4? Is it capable of mellow tones? Dunno yet, so to the music shops I go, to road test a few candidates.

Cheers,

Duncan

Sorry, I meant to address the Yamaha TRBX too - I saw a youtube vid of the 504 and was very impressed with the range of tones, especially the slap. Not feeling the look of the thing (fussy b*stard me :-p) but I will toddle along and try out a 304 and see what happens.

At the moment, my head says Squier and my heart and groin say Sterling Sub.

Welcome to Basschat :) .

I don't know if you're just starting out on bass or if you're just new to the slap style but either way I'd go with your 'heart and groin', as long as it's a good bass and in your price range, rather than your head.
Sure your head might tell you the sensible thing but if you don't love it, especially when new to it, you won't want to play it. You shouldn't be able to walk past it without feeling the need to pick it up and play it.

Edited by Maude

That's good advice Maude, definitely my way of thinking. I like your philosophy! I have to say also that I love the look of the Sub Ray 4 in wthe Walnut finish. Ticks most of the boxes, all I need to know is how versatile it is tone-wise. I gotta say though, I have absolutely nowt against the Squier VM Jazz, I dig the looks and love the tones from those Duncan designed pickups, so it is between that and the Sub Ray 4 and I think only a road test will help me choose.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1374966236' post='2155394'] I think only a road test will help me choose.
[/quote]It is ultimately the best to go. Let us know what you do and post some pics.

Welcome to BC BTW, enjoy.

This. It's big and chunky, and no featherweight by any means, but it does 'that' sound wonderfully well. It used to be mine, I would love to buy it back myself! [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/ibanezatk.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/ibanezatk.htm[/url]

At that budget go secondhand. You could get a lot of bass for that.
Lot of people desperate to sell and you cant avoid getting a bargain.

Regarding musicman subs, buy the usa made one. Its streets ahead of the others which i would avoid if i could unless i got to play it first to try it.

The G&L sounds like a good shout.

Going new though, [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sub-basses-international"]http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sub-basses-international[/url] - is hell of a bass for £300 - got a Ray4 in white. Love it.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1374961274' post='2155357']

The Tanglewater is an awesome bass and fantastic bargain. It makes very little sense not to pursue that, but the only problem is not being able to play one. I know, beggars and choosers etc - but I have questions. Will the neck be right for my hands? How about the weight? How compatible with my amp is it (a Fender Bronco)? Sad to say, if I can't road test it, I can't buy it :-(
[/quote]

Good 😊

If it's still here later in the week, and my car sails through its MOT test on Thursday, I don't think I'll be able to resist.