Why become a member? ×

3 senior gents, moved to tears by their own song

John Cellario

From Wikipedia...

[quote]Under phylogenetic taxonomy, dinosaurs are usually defined as the group consisting of Triceratops, Neornithes [modern birds], their most recent common ancestor (MRCA), and all descendants".[12] It has also been suggested that Dinosauria be defined with respect to the MRCA of Megalosaurus and Iguanodon, because these were two of the three genera cited by Richard Owen when he recognized the Dinosauria.[13] Both definitions result in the same set of animals being defined as dinosaurs: "Dinosauria = Ornithischia + Saurischia", encompassing theropods (mostly bipedal carnivores and birds), ankylosaurians (armored herbivorous quadrupeds), stegosaurians (plated herbivorous quadrupeds), ceratopsians (herbivorous quadrupeds with horns and frills), ornithopods (bipedal or quadrupedal herbivores including "duck-bills"), and, perhaps, sauropodomorphs (mostly large herbivorous quadrupeds with long necks and tails).
small bird with pale belly and breast and patterned wing and head stands on concrete
The common House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) is often used to represent modern birds in definitions of the group Dinosauria

Many paleontologists note that the point at which sauropodomorphs and theropods diverged may omit sauropodomorphs from the definition for both saurischians and dinosaurs. To avoid instability, Dinosauria can be more conservatively defined with respect to four anchoring nodes: Triceratops horridus, Saltasaurus loricatus, and Passer domesticus, their MRCA, and all descendants. This "safer" definition can be expressed as "Dinosauria = Ornithischia + Sauropodomorpha + Theropoda".[14]

There is nearly universal consensus among paleontologists that birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs. In traditional taxonomy, birds were considered a separate class that had evolved from dinosaurs, a distinct superorder. However, a majority of contemporary paleontologists concerned with dinosaurs reject the traditional style of classification in favor of phylogenetic nomenclature; this approach requires that, for a group to be natural, all descendants of members of the group must be included in the group as well. [b]Birds are thus considered to be dinosaurs and dinosaurs are, therefore, not extinct.[/b] Birds are classified as belonging to the subgroup Maniraptora, which are coelurosaurs, which are theropods, which are saurischians, which are dinosaurs.[/quote]

Note the [b]bold[/b] text...
([i]Well, it certainly surprised me[/i]... :mellow: )

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1374338952' post='2147814']
Ann Wilsons voice is perfect for the song [b]but I was left a bit flat by the lack of energy in her performance. [/b]
[/quote]
Cut the woman some slack - She was 62 when this was filmed for f***s sake!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1374420242' post='2148502']
I think it was a reference to John Bonham, who often wore one on stage.
[/quote] Correct-a bowler hat and a white jump suit, similar to "A Clockwork Orange". Did anyone else notice Jason Bonham looking skyward around about the time of the last "stairway to heaven" bit ?

Can a song really be so dire if it can emotionally connect to so many people?

Dislike a song, by all means, but it's surely pointless to profess a song to be 'good', 'bad', 'dire', 'sublime' or any other description. Or, if not pointless, then certainly offensive to accuse people of having 'dire' taste in music.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374424460' post='2148564']

Dislike a song, by all means, but it's surely pointless to profess a song to be 'good', 'bad', 'dire', 'sublime' or any other description. Or, if not pointless, then certainly offensive to accuse people of having 'dire' taste in music.
[/quote]
Its only rock n roll, rather than matter of life and death. People have opinions on music, should be allowed to articulate them as they wish and so be it rather than be straight jacketed by a narrow criteria of expression. Your insistence that I am out to offend anybody is wide of the mark, OTT and might be viewed as a personal attack on my character, but rest easy as I am not offended by your inaccuracy in this regard. Now time for a beer and a listen to the 'sublime' Led Zep 2. Highly recomended.

Edited by leroydiamond

[/quote]

No. We've got a lot of sticks in the mud around here, people wanting to provoke reactions.

The song is superb, if it can't be enjoyed that's understandable as people's opinions on music will differ. However the structure and writing capability of Page is something to be marvelled at, it's a skill far beyond most. The song is anything but awful, on the contrary it's genius.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374426379' post='2148593']
But what if some people do have dire taste in music and I am offended by that? What shall we do then?
[/quote]

Post to Basschat whinging about it, of course. It's what everyone else does.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374426379' post='2148593']
But what if some people do have dire taste in music and I am offended by that? What shall we do then?
[/quote]
My brother tells me regularly that my taste in music is dire (putting it mildly!), Its his opinion, he is entitled to it, but of course he is wrong! No point in taking offence. He's having a beer with me right now!

[/quote]

It has all the integrity of a Justin Bieber song, who has also sold millions of records which emotionally connect to their audience.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1374428294' post='2148618']
It has all the integrity of a Justin Bieber song, who has also sold millions of records which emotionally connect to their audience.
[/quote]

Yea Justin's last album had me running for my tissues (Toilet tissues!) :lol:

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374428194' post='2148617']
My brother tells me regularly that my taste in music is dire (putting it mildly!), Its his opinion, he is entitled to it, but of course he is wrong! No point in taking offence. He's having a beer with me right now!
[/quote]

My brother regulaly listens to The Allan Parsons Project and owns the CD of the original soundtrack to the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Chess . I'd like to see him try and tell me my taste in music was dire !