Why become a member? ×

Precision v jazz

marcus bell

Yes sorry, re-read your question and adjusted to suit! I'll expand:

I'm not keen on J's anymore. I never used the bridge pickup solo'd. I'd blend it with the bridge pup just to add a little weight to the sound. I love the burp you get from a well placed bridge pick up but I missed the weight that I like in my tone.

I like P pups because of the thump and the texture you get. It's a lovely sound that seems to suit the band mix and especially for the sort of music I play these days it's perfect. However, sometimes I prefer a little more growl in my tone if I'm solo'ing or playing with a quartet or quintet so I push through a little more.

So for me a PJ is the best of both worlds. I have P all the time and I blend a touch of bridge if I need to. And sometimes if I'm jamming at home I'll go 100% bridge for ultra-funk!

Truckstop

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1373876401' post='2142397']
When the Squire CV P adn J's are so goof for only £200 (s/h) there's no need to choose. Have both...That's what I did :)

But the real answer is Jazz ;)
[/quote]

This is the plan eventually I believe

Edited by marcus bell

Precision. For me, if using provided rigs, or at a gig where you get little sound-check time, it`s easier and quicker to get a workable tone with a Precision. Even a Precision DI`d straight into a PA sounds good whereas to me a Jazz takes more to get it right.

Plus, all my fave bassists use Precisions so I was always going to be biased on this :)

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1373880466' post='2142449']
P bass, J neck.
[/quote]
Does it for me! MIJ Fender Precision body, Mighty Mite Jazz neck. Add P-retro and a Hipshot bridge = bass heaven.

Marcus, there's no point asking this question, you already know enough to make this decision, you are not a beginner. The fact is, there is no 'best bass for metal', or anything else.

Instruments are very personal things, it has to feel right, sound right, look right, be reliable, and overall be right for the applications you will put it too. I don't like P necks, so a Jazz is what I go for. I almost never use the bridge pup but it's useful for some little effects and harmonics I do.

I get the impression you have no real idea of what bass you want, I think you just like buying and selling them. If you play much more you may find that any bass with certain characteristics you favour will be suitable, and as bass it will be relegated in your mind to be just a tool. GAS is most prominent in quiet periods.