Why become a member? ×

Precision v jazz

marcus bell

Ric 4003 :ph34r:

Nah just kidding, it's gotta be a P if that's what you're choosing between, P has much the simpler and more workable tone in my opinion, plus the J's skinny neck is just yucky, you're playing a bass for god sake man, have a decent sized bit of wood in your hands! :gas: ;)

I am Precision player. Always have been. I bought a new 2009 US Standard Jazz once - as I thought I should also have one.

I liked it. I played it on a lot of gigs. It was [i]maybe [/i]a little easier to play than my Precisions - that could have been the thinner neck, or it could have been that it seemed to be lighter than my Precisions (although some people say Jazzes are generally heavier). I never weighed it. That was just my impression. It may also have been a more convenient body shape? I dunno. It sure was "a looker" though, in black / black / maple. Typical Jazz bark too. I only ever really used the neck pickup - as I found the bridge pickup way too trebly on its own. I didn't even like the sound of the pickup when it was just a bit blended in.

There was just something about the Jazz though - that didn't quite have the mojo of my Precisions.

Also, I like the fact that my Precisions (both 1999 string thru US Standard models) have necks like caveman's clubs. Huge tree trunks that I need to wrestle with. I'm not the most delicate of people. Maybe they suit me.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1373852029' post='2142311']
That's interesting because I would happily deal with a larger neck if it meant I was happy with the sound.

Why have a bass that doesn't have the sound you want for the sake of a comfier neck?

Truckstop
[/quote]It so happens that I love the sound of my jazz. The narrower neck on the Jazz is the priority for me. So much of the tone comes from the fingers, so got to keep them happy. Also prefer the body shape, it just fits like a glove.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1373845271' post='2142283']

Thing is my favourite basses are Jaydees and status' but I like to have a 'normal' bass too
[/quote]

Doesn't your Stingray fall into the "normal" category?
[list]
[*]If yes, then you already have the "normal" bass to compliment your preferable Jaydee. Take no further action.
[*]If no, sell the Stingray and use the money to buy both a Squier Jazz and Precision. Fire a set of flatwounds on the Precision.
[/list]

A series/parallel switch is an absolute must for all Jazz bass heads imho.
Why compromise? Be both.
In a band setting a Jazz in series gets there imo (Precision like, beefy)

The Jazz tone isn't for me personally, so I solely play soul-y P-bass now ;)

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373884114' post='2142519']
Marcus, there's no point asking this question, you already know enough to make this decision, you are not a beginner. The fact is, there is no 'best bass for metal', or anything else.

Instruments are very personal things, it has to feel right, sound right, look right, be reliable, and overall be right for the applications you will put it too. I don't like P necks, so a Jazz is what I go for. I almost never use the bridge pup but it's useful for some little effects and harmonics I do.

I get the impression you have no real idea of what bass you want, I think you just like buying and selling them. If you play much more you may find that any bass with certain characteristics you favour will be suitable, and as bass it will be relegated in your mind to be just a tool. GAS is most prominent in quiet periods.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1373845271' post='2142283']
Thing is my favourite basses are Jaydees and status' but I like to have a 'normal' bass too, so I'm in between a squier jazz or precision....
[/quote]

Well keep in mind that you won't sound like Mark King on either a jazz or precision.

How about looking at the Squire P Special. I got one a few years ago for peanuts, new. It's a P body, J neck, P neck split pick up and the bridge J pick up. Controls are J type, vol, vol & tone. For me it's the best of both all in one. It's now got a new wiring kit fitted, with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pick ups. Total upgrade cost around £120. It does what a P should all the way but with the option of blending in a bit of bridge p/u bite. And the neck is nice and slim. It's a killer bass now and I wouldn't swap it for anything.
Definitely worth a try if you see one, but upgrading the cheap stock Squire pick ups will transform the tone.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373974179' post='2143686']
Im quite glad I dont sound like Mark King, nothing against him as he is a virtuoso, but I hate his sound
[/quote]

I'm a MASSIVE mark king fan! But absolutely hate his sound these Days it's been downhill for a long time!