Why become a member? ×

No alcohol during Cruise Ship work at all? Is this the norm?

coffee_king

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1373876410' post='2142398']
If not drinking will spoil your night, you have a problem.
[/quote]

I think there are an awful lot of people, who do not have any kind of alcohol dependency, whose evening would be spoilt if they could not have a drink. I am a shift worker, and a driver, so when I am on a run of shifts I won't touch alcohol, and I can live with that. I do not drink to get drunk, and have often said that I think I could go without altogether if I had to, but even I, if going out for the evening, would feel it somewhat curtailed if I couldn't have a few beers at least. We have a (wife's) family wedding next month, and I am [i]not [/i]going to that and staying sober. As regards the gig, it does seem a tad excessive, but as has been said, if it's really that much of a problem, don't do it. I think I would just go into 'work mode', mentally prepare myself, and live with the lack of alcohol for the duration.

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1373885685' post='2142558']
Just to reitterate here, the question is whether this is the norm, not if I can/cannot live without alcohol.
[/quote]

Exactly. I'd say there is an expectation not to be drunk or drinkig heavily during the gig, (and perhaps watching behviour when onboard) but that is pretty common sense which most of us would adhere to anyway.

Total ban? No need.

I don't know if this is the case today, but years ago some shipping lines treated the musicians as crew and you weren't even allowed to mix with the passengers or even on passenger decks.

Boats are unique working environments and musicians don't always fall into maritime job definitions.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373887319' post='2142590']
I don't know if this is the case today, but years ago some shipping lines treated the musicians as crew and you weren't even allowed to mix with the passengers or even on passenger decks.
[/quote]

Still the same these days I believe.

On some of these short ferry crossing gigs [and major cruises], you are considered crew [always on call] therefore if any emergencies pop up,
you would be expected to do your bit [Sober]

What about Oil rig work ? thats no booze, is it not ? and for longer stints.

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1373885685' post='2142558']
Just to reitterate here, the question is whether this is the norm[/quote]

As has been said a few times on the thread - On Ferry crossings, or the short trips up to Northern Europe,
Yep it can be the norm, or at least does happen.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

It sounds like it is the norm judging by responses.

In a former band, we nearly (didn't happen in the end due to Guitarist being diagnosed with cancer) did a free gig on a ferry to Ireland in exchange for free travel. Part of the terms were no alcohol and they werent even paying us (just giving us a free ride!)

Sounds like a great gig :D

personally I have a strict no alcohol/bass combination. I never pick up my bass if I've had a drink even at home. Mind for gigs I'm driving the van, so no alcohol after gigs either :lol:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1373890583' post='2142662']
[size=4]Mind for gigs I'm driving the van, so no alcohol after gigs either [/size] :lol:
[/quote]

Do you do the humping as well ? [Gear I mean] :ph34r:

[size=4]Garry[/size]

Edited by lowdown

I'd imagine (and its purely speculation) that you are employed by the ferry company and I'd expect there to be potential libility, insurance or health and safety implications for the ship company in the case of any sort of contract carrier of theirs involved in any sort of incident at all while under the influence, what with the unique working environment an' all. Be it a ship captain, chef, navigator type, cleaner or bass player. I'd imagine in the case of an incident they are aware that it would boil down to their name on the head of the contract
Purely a guess though.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1373876410' post='2142398']
If not drinking will spoil your night, you have a problem.
[/quote]

No problem with me mate. I work away for long stints with no alcohol. I like to have a few when Im out. Also I like to enjoy a few when Im playing as I consider that a night out too. If you think I have a problem because of that well, ....thats your problem

My guess is that they don't mind you having a cheeky few in your time off but in the case of you turning up bladdered to play they can quite easily say you have breached contract and remove you without any room for come back.

It's only two weeks, take the gig and find out for next time

Not the norm in my experience, I've done about 10 cruises, never more than 2 weeks and always as cabaret (so officer or passenger status, ranking is taken seriously, it actually matters to them) rather than the band, but even the musicians in full time employment on those ships were allowed a drink and even have crew bars. However, I [i]would[/i] say do not risk breaking rules on a cruise ship, you [i]will [/i]find yourself off at the next port.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I imagine it might be the issuing companies way of making the contract more likely to work for them in terms of a breach.
It's often very difficult for people to completely essue alcohol, it's possible that they don't care much if you have a couple of private drinks in your down-time, but if something goes wrong with any part of the contract, much easier for them to claim breach due to alcohol and not pay you a penny.

Si

I'm between cruise contracts at the moment, and while there isnt a no drinking policy with the company i work for, there are strict limits on how much you can drink. Certainly this is so you can play to the required standard, but as a member of the ships company, if there is any form of emergency on board, at any time of night or day, you have to be able to respond and help the guests, which you can't do if you're passed out from drink in your cabin.

I work for a shipping company and they have a zero policy shore-side, so I would expect that to be the case
on board exp if you have any mustering duties in emergencies...but in reality you will just be briefed as non-landers, probably.
You will not be allowed to drink to excess and they can use it to get rid of you pdq, if they want.
As in all these things...it depends who handles the 'problem' but officers will take it seriously.

Do I expect them to be draconian..?? no, but you will not be able to take the p**..and they have marked the card up front.

Can't say I'm too surprised by this policy. I had a whole-day meeting with a colleague from another local authority, and suggested we nip over to the pub for a sandwich at lunchtime. I might as well have announced my intention to take a dump on the carpet - they have a strict zero tolerance policy on alcohol during working hours, and that's just an office block, arguably a somewhat safer environment than a ship!

Going back to the OP, can you go ashore and have a sherbet or is that also beyond the pale?

As an aside, I am currently sipping a ghost hunter, ie equal parts Southern Comfort and bourbon over ice.

We are the same where I work. There is a no alcohol policy, but that is just to cover their arse in case someone goes over the top. Sensible drinking is ignored. I reckon this is a similar case although on a ship you are a bit more high profile if you go to the bar

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1374013437' post='2144338']
Can't say I'm too surprised by this policy. I had a whole-day meeting with a colleague from another local authority, and suggested we nip over to the pub for a sandwich at lunchtime. I might as well have announced my intention to take a dump on the carpet - they have a strict zero tolerance policy on alcohol during working hours, and that's just an office block,
[/quote]

Blimey - times change! I can't remember how many Friday afternoons I've lost in City wine bars while entertaining customers, then getting an early train home, falling asleep and ending up in Cambridge or Peterborough. :lol:

• 3 years later...
Guest subaudio

I've not worked on ships as a musician but have as a deckhand, as crew members we weren't supposed to drink in case of emergencies, which when your at sea become serious very quickly.

Oops, zombie thread :)

Edited by subaudio

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1373708013' post='2140742']
Can an employer tell you what to do outside of work hours?
[/quote]
Perhaps given that he's visible when not working in a way not true of most other employees and has a known short period of time for which he is contracted to behave a certain way.

I have been (a passenger) on a few cruises. I have seen band members of guest bands and comedians having a drink several times. Had a long chat one night with a comedian after he needed somewhere to sit so joined our table and he had quite a few. But as others have said, every one could be different. One thing not to do is to try and sneak anything on, they all now use airport style scanners so you will be caught. We took a bottle on board a royal Caribbean at the first port and had it confiscated (we hadn't read the rules) and it was returned the last day. They all tend to have a zero tolerance for staff misdemeanour, from what I gather even tiny transgressions see you walking the gangplank at the next port.