Why become a member? ×

Daft Punk - "Get Lucky" - Bass Cover

TorVic

[media]http://youtu.be/XbEz1mvQyvY[/media]

Pretty neat single take!
(Correction: I read that it was a single take on one of the online articles. Apparently it is not. Still think it is very good!)

Edited by TorVic

Impressive! But it's not a single take... I spotted a number of edit glitches where it looks like the video has been pasted together - check out the neck-snapping, light-speed head nod at 1:55 - 1:56 ;)

Still, I'm being pedantic. The guys playes a zillion times better than I can and it's actually a nice cover - and I say that as someone who doesn't normally get all bedazzled by slap'n'pop.

This whole Victor Wooten - inspired school of bass playing doesn't appeal at all to me , but respect to this guy for doing a great job on this tune as a party piece . Not my cup of tea , but not take anything away from the guy .

Edited by Dingus

Same as above, very clever and skilful, but more party piece than entire gig material. Sounds just like the song to me, chords, rhythm, melody everything. What I like most is the effect he's using (envelope filter?) - it makes the pops sound full and plumby rather than harsh and tinny.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1373742311' post='2141206']
f***ing incredible. How can you criticize this???
[/quote]

For the reasons people have said? He shows fantastic technique and i actually quite liked it (apart from the multiple-take thing, was the OP being ironic?), but it just isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some songs need a bassist to do their job, and this isn't it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1373742311' post='2141206']
f***ing incredible. How can you criticize this???
[/quote]

I really (really) don't like this Wooten-like approach at all, and I don't like this tune either, but yeah, the performance is very impressive and despite it being technically difficult he hasn't gone all-out to sound like he's performing a superhuman feat of bass playing - which is what I usually find so un-musical about Wooten.

So he gets an unlikely thumbs up from me. And no I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

I can't believe how some people have to crap on anything anyone presents here. Like it. Critique it. Or move on. They have to find SOMETHING to put down, I guess so they can feel better about themselves. There's no need to post Victor Wooton doing something similar. There's no need to comment on the fact that you don't like "that particular type of thing." It's like being a guest in someone's home and criticizing the food and drink they offer you. Be a little f*cking gracious. Geez, how petty. And I see it here A LOT.

Edited by Lowender

As an excercise, it is pretty clean and impressive.
I just think it depends how much time and effort you want to put in for a party piece.
A bit like devoting 70% of your time going thru slap riffola and not having a gig for it.

If you can pull that sort of stuff off and be pretty musical... taste being a different argument..
then you have your syncopation down, pretty much..

I'd post a of video of me playing root's and 5ths with the band (actual I have done that lol) .. but that's not much of a party piece.
The Guys got talent a good ear and plays very cleanly, but I would only want to listen to it once.. Cool and interesting the first time you listen.

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1373829658' post='2142054']
Its a showcase for his expertise, no doubt he is a top player regarding other genres on the bass that would pluck up the ears of the critics on here. I thought he was Impressive.
[/quote]

I agree.

It's not just an exercise, it's a toone from start to finish.
The guys got chops/ears for a tune, and he is articulated musically.
At 02:10 it gets a little sloppy for a few bars, although that might be that envelope filter not responding fast enough.
But so what, he's doing his thing.
It sounds like it has all come naturally.

Someone above has said where's da funk gone ?
The original was not funk, just a bit of Nu Disco [and great it was] with Nile doing his bit.

Good stuff.

It's also amazing that people judge someone solely by what they do on one pice. "Oh, he's [i]THAT.[/i] "

That's so unfair and so short sided. The guy did a nice job. MAYBE he's not great at other things. MAYBE he plays the most wicked groove you'll ever hear. Maybe he sings his ass off. Maybe he's a lousy golfer. All that stuff doesn't matter. He's not selling a used car. It was a presentation of art. Lighten up.