Why become a member? ×

No desire to play bass

Jono Bolton

Some of you may baulk at the idea that a bassist wouldn't want to play bass, but recently I've found that other than a couple of minutes plunking away, I have no desire or motivation to actually do so. My Jazz has been in the back of my wardrobe since I moved into my flat in December, my bass amp is out on loan with a mate (has been since last September, except for a month or two when I had it back before re-loaning it again), and my Precision sits in the corner of the living room between the wall and my CD tower. Once, or maybe twice a day I'll pick it up, play a couple of bass lines and then put it back again, and that's about it.

I can't pinpoint the reason why I don't want to play, and it's the first time since I first picked up a bass in primary school where I really can't be arsed playing. Up until a few months ago, all I did was play, all day, every day. I've even put my Precision up for sale on Gumtree. Has anyone else been through a period of ambivalence like this?

In 1994 I stopped playing bass. There was no music that influenced me in the rock/pop arena. Over the next seven years I picked up a bass maybe a handful of times. Then in spring 2001 a whole series of coincidences happened. That spurred me on to pick up a bass again and I really started enjoying it.

What changed? I don't know that anything changed as such. The time was just right. I had changed direction musically and moved into traditional folk playing the bouzouki and that led to me getting involved in jazz. that's when the bass came back and I haven't looked back since.

I look on it a bit like the life of a butterfly, if that's not too pretentious. Those earlier years were the caterpillar phase where I just went round eating up every kind of music I could. Like you, I had to play every day. then I pupated for seven years after which I blossomed forth into a beautiful butterfly. (God, what am I on :lol:[size=4] )[/size]

[size=4]What I'm saying is, don't beat yourself up about it. It is what it is. If you are going to get back to bass you will in the fullness of time. Just go with it. I would also say don't sell your gear if you have the space to store it.[/size]

Edited by BassBus

Well, I'm not planning on getting rid of all my gear, just the P (maybe that wasn't clear). The Jazz was an 18th birthday present from my parents, so I'll always keep a hold of it, even though I hate the colour (sage metallic green - yuk!) and I prefer the look, sound and feel of a Precision. The amp I'm happy to have out on loan, I seldom use it so at least it's getting gigged regularly, and I'm helping out a mate who needs an amp, but can't afford one right now. I'm sure though that if I did get rid of the Precision I'd regret it, but a combination of this lack of interest in bass and a change of circumstances means that the bass is up for sale, although it may have had to go anyway.

I haven't totally fallen out of love with the bass, I still come on here every day and I love looking at other people's gear and talking about bass, but I just can't seem to bring myself to ever pick one up for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Totally understand this, and can relate to all of the replies! I was obsessed with bass playing from the age of 10 - then hit a wall when I was about 23..and put my P bass in the cupboard for about 9 years and forgot all about it.

Strange and tragic turn of life events (wont bore you with the story) led to me finding my way back to it.

I will say this; I was an extremely proficient player when I jacked it in...but the break did me a power of good. Obviously I had lost my chops after the break, but I had a completely new approach (because I had become a different person)...I am subsequently a much much better player now!

Listen to your instincts and just go with them. There is no point persevering if it doesn't give you satisfaction or pleasure. Put the basses away...if you are meant to play bass then you will come back to them in the end.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1372761432' post='2129513']
Join/start a band. If you still don't want to play bass, take up another instrument.
[/quote]

I feel this may be part of the problem. Recently my mate (who has my amp currently) left the band he was in to join another one. I'd liked his band for ages, they're a hardcore band and it was exactly the type of music I wanted to play. Anyway, they said on Facebook that they were looking for a new bass player, and I messaged them as I was pals with the outgoing bass player and also the guitarist, I'd known them from uni and we'd been mates for nearly 9 years. Anyway, I got a message back from someone, presumably the singer, saying they were only going with people they knew. No blame attached to my mates, they'd obviously not been consulted because my bassist mate had mentioned that he was thinking of leaving and had asked if I'd be interested. I replied back saying that I knew 2 of the lads and had done for years, and never heard anything back.

I don't know if this has anything to do with not wanting to play bass anymore, I guess on some level though it probably does. I've played in bands that I've not really enjoyed just purely for the sake of it, or to help out mates, but I know very few people who like the same type of music as I do, and those who do don't play instruments, so I'm a bit stuck.

I've been like this for years.
I've tried loads of things to rekindle my interest but they never last very long.
My disinterest in playing has become so extreme now that I've actually just bought a Fender Precision. :D

I've done the whole band/gigging thing - grew to hate it, never want to do it again.

It's not just bass - I play guitar & keyboards as well & I've got little interest in them either. I enjoy noodling about on them occasionally but the passion I used to have for playing has gone.
I've got a lot of unavoidable long term negative sh*t in my life that isn't going to go away anytime soon & I think that's just drained all my energy & enthusiasm.

I went for about 15 years hardly playing any bass at all - just moved to other instruments, or nothing at all. Then I joined the band I'm in now - it's in its 6th year, we do 40 gigs a year, and it's great fun. Suddenly lots of coming-and-goings in the gear department, and we're off to Germany on Thursday. The key was finding a band that plays music that I love.

So, don't despair. Just keep looking for a band you think you'll like (or - gulp - form one yourself). When you do, it'll come back.

BB

Can totally relate to this.
Used to play in bands not playing my sort of music but just because they were the people I knew.
Move to a smaller house, put the bass away, never got it out. stopped playing for years
then moved again and this time left the bass where i could pick it up on a whim and got back into playing it more an more.
I will absolutely never gig again unless its doing exactly what I want to do, I have better things to do that hang around until a pub closes and then lug a whole load of gear around, and getting to bed late, for apprximatley peanuts (short negative rant over)

.. and like WhiteCloud I think you actually get better through not playing... its to do with relearning/reinforcing the good techniques while losing the bad habits.

My advice
Sell the AMPs and play through an irig or PC speakers or practice amp then if you decide to gig again newer better amp models will be out. Then only sell the PB if you absolutey have to.
and keep the bass easily accessible and remember there's no rush no ones forceing you to play, only do it if you enjoy it.
(ok there is a Rush - and their pretty good too )

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372764760' post='2129561']
I've been like this for years.
I've tried loads of things to rekindle my interest but they never last very long.
My disinterest in playing has become so extreme now that I've actually just bought a Fender Precision. :D

I've done the whole band/gigging thing - grew to hate it, never want to do it again.

It's not just bass - I play guitar & keyboards as well & I've got little interest in them either. I enjoy noodling about on them occasionally but the passion I used to have for playing has gone.
I've got a lot of unavoidable long term negative sh*t in my life that isn't going to go away anytime soon & I think that's just drained all my energy & enthusiasm.
[/quote]
The last sentence in your reply is a massive statement. I can only sympathize with you!

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1372764150' post='2129553']
I feel this may be part of the problem. Recently my mate (who has my amp currently) left the band he was in to join another one. I'd liked his band for ages, they're a hardcore band and it was exactly the type of music I wanted to play. Anyway, they said on Facebook that they were looking for a new bass player, and I messaged them as I was pals with the outgoing bass player and also the guitarist, I'd known them from uni and we'd been mates for nearly 9 years. Anyway, I got a message back from someone, presumably the singer, saying they were only going with people they knew. No blame attached to my mates, they'd obviously not been consulted because my bassist mate had mentioned that he was thinking of leaving and had asked if I'd be interested. I replied back saying that I knew 2 of the lads and had done for years, and never heard anything back.

I don't know if this has anything to do with not wanting to play bass anymore, I guess on some level though it probably does. I've played in bands that I've not really enjoyed just purely for the sake of it, or to help out mates, but I know very few people who like the same type of music as I do, and those who do don't play instruments, so I'm a bit stuck.
[/quote]

I had the same problem in Perth. I'm not a Perthaloid & know almost no one (let alone any musicians). Tried looking through the usual sites like Joinmyband, Bandmix & Gumtree but to no joy, so advertised for musicians to start a Funk band (breakbeat & acid jazz too).
I found a metal guitarist & a rock drummer at my work. The drummer has a guitarist/singer friend who likes pop rock & an old mate who's moved from Glasgow to Perth (must've been mental) & DJs is now on keys & spinny things. None of them has played Funk, but willing to try.

Glasgow's a big enough place to have a look or stick an ad on JMB or Bandmix.

I too can feel where the OP is coming from.

I think we all go through 'down' periods of playing. I feel at the mo I'm kind of forcing myself to play for a bit everyday, as I'm still in a gigging band. Some days I'm loving it, other days I want to throw it in the nearest ditch!

We've got a few weeks off coming up - I'm going down to one bass - but I feel I've got to keep my hand in. But if this band finished any time soon, I'd certainly have a bit of time away.

For me, music - and bass - has given me so much pleasure, but with band politics, it kind of brings you down, and I think kind of leads to a feeling of taking it out on the instrument, as if it kind of represents what gave you the problems, rather than the those around you.....

.....well it makes kind of sense for me! :ph34r:

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1372752777' post='2129383']
Some of you may baulk at the idea that a bassist wouldn't want to play bass...

... I can't pinpoint the reason why I don't want to play, and it's the first time since I first picked up a bass in primary school where I really can't be arsed playing. Up until a few months ago, all I did was play, all day, every day. I've even put my Precision up for sale on Gumtree. Has anyone else been through a period of ambivalence like this?
[/quote]

Good thread! :) I can understand this - although the reasons for you not wanting to play have since become clearer. I drifted away from music between 2002 and mid 2012. I'd been in a couple of bands (for fun) with guys I'd grown up with; recorded one or two things, but essentially we met our significant others, became parents and moved away.. that's how it goes sometimes. All of my gear followed me around to three properties during those years, but were rarely used or played.

Anyway, before I bore you to death, it is incredible how things change! no more ADAT/CD's for me!! :D the technological/global age (combined with some cheap micro-chips and vintage valve gear) means I now have an outlet and an audience for my playing that never properly existed 10-years ago.. I am writing and collaborating with other musicians from all over the world (instrumental/modern ambient/soul), and recording with my best-mate who played drums in our first bands 20-years ago. I'm happy and excited to be involved.

Sometimes change can be as good as a rest! B)

Not massively motivated to play myself as of late either. Being a dad takes up most of my spare time these days.

I still want to play, but it's hard when you can't find a suitable band - I'm 41, am past the whole "making it" thing (kinda been there, done that), but still have absolutely no interest in doing what most players my age do, which is playing covers. Most people who want to play original rock/metal are in their 20s and, despite still having a full head of non-grey hair and not too much "experience" on my face, I suspect I wouldn't fit in as I have different priorities in life these days - no interest in record deals, all-night pi$$-ups or groupies any more (it actually hurt a little to admit that :D ).

I have found myself playing a lot more acoustic guitar though - working on my acoustic technique, my singing, and trying to do a little bit of songwriting too. Time to move on to another challenge. :) And I'll go back to playing bass when a good band or project comes along.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1372796596' post='2130197']
Anyway, before I bore you to death, it is incredible how things change! no more ADAT/CD's for me!! :D
[/quote]

Yeh, I have stopped with general 12 bar rock music too, no more ADAT/CD for me either ;)

I have been where you're a few times and I'm glad to say I'm out of the 'rut' if you want to call it that. Heres how I dealt with it;

1) Think of the reason why you picked up bass in the first place.

2) Find a teacher(s) who inspires you.

3) Think of the bigger picture (this for me is a big one) when I've gone of the major scale for about the 10,000000th time a day in every key, in every position I can think of, I suddenly realise theres a reason why i'm practicing this. (if you want to be great, it isn't going to be easy)

4) Think of your heroes (in the bass world)

5) Find other musicians to play with or like me (take a break from your musical commitments and focus on practice)

6) Don't compare yourself to anyone else. (each individual bassist will have their strengths and their weaknesses)

7) This works for me... although I think it's more to do with self-control. (delete Facebook)

8) Listen to everyone who inspires you but forget about all the people who say (you can't do that, it's impossible etc etc)

9) If you're finding you're putting the bass down after a short period of time, you're probably not planning what you're going to do on the bass. (if you have no plan, you'll probably think eughhh don't know what to practice better put my bass down.)

10) Watch this video by Dave Marks; (great video on your post)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0sFG7FqSQ

Hope some (or any) of that was helpful;

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1372840408' post='2130458']
I have found myself playing a lot more acoustic guitar though - working on my acoustic technique, my singing, and trying to do a little bit of songwriting too.
[/quote]
This is exactly what I've done, and despite recording a song with a major musical hero of mine playing & singing on it (which was an incredible experience) I have to admit that unfortunately I'm really unbelievably crap at it.