Why become a member? ×

The 10 Most Annoying Rock Star Behaviors

xilddx

I would have thought "drive a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool" or at least "hurl the TV out of the hotel window" would have been in there.

There's no excuse for lateness though - do they have something better to do with their evening?

Interesting read, possibly a couple of items I would not agree with, but just my views really. Other possiblilities might be:

Weird duets, maye a bolt-on to weird arrangements.

Once you've made it never playing smaller venues like you used to. I have pretty much stopped going to arena shows as I feel no connection to the band anymore.

I liked #8...

I went to see a well-known folk-rocker last year, and I heard him say stuff I'd seen directly quoted in a newspaper review of a London gig a week earlier. IMO, that's going a little far with the choreography, Richard.

I would have thought ignoring your fans and thinking you're above them socially would be in there somewhere.
Signing autographs and talking directly with your fans is something all starts should do. Its the fans that put them there.

Dave

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372712407' post='2129119']
Book marked incase I ever make the big time ;)

About it break one though, the band are throwing around ideas for a medley!
[/quote]

[size=4]I quite like medleys, well not [/size]medleys[size=4] of whole songs, but I quite like it when there's the odd verse, or even single lines[/size][size=4] of another song thrown in, but the the transition must not be too slick and, as a general rule, the sequence must end back on the original song![/size]

OK - I guess what I'm saying is; I like some medleys, but not others.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1372720056' post='2129229']
I liked #8...

I went to see a well-known folk-rocker last year, and I heard him say stuff I'd seen directly quoted in a newspaper review of a London gig a week earlier. IMO, that's going a little far with the choreography, Richard.
[/quote]

In theory I agree, but on the other hand if you're touring and gigging 3 times a week it must be difficult to stay fresh and spontaneous after 5 weeks.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1372768369' post='2129624']
In theory I agree, but on the other hand if you're touring and gigging 3 times a week it must be difficult to stay fresh and spontaneous after 5 weeks.
[/quote]

Hire a body double :lol:

I think taking your fans for granted, refusing to meet competition winners after a show, sodding off before the encore, being rude to the organisers and generally being a total d**k is one of the biggest sins. Especially when your last big hit was more than 20 years ago...... yes you may have written one of the biggest songs of all time but remember it was us that brought the bloody thing! Naming no names but of the two I definately prefer Bob Geldof and I have never met him!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1372782129' post='2129923']
Naming no names but of the two I definately prefer Bob Geldof and I have never met him!
[/quote]

I have. Well, I stood next to him at the V&A one Sunday afternoon. He seemed like a nice chap, none of those sidelong glances to see if anyone was watching him. Wiffed a bit though. :blink:

Thing is, the article's more about behaviour during performance, so I suppose this doesn't count.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1372720056' post='2129229']
I liked #8...

[/quote]

95% of acts do this. All that 'ad-lib' stuff in between songs? All rehearsed and worked out.

Bob Geldof is okay hy me. He was playing in The Fruitmarket venue in Glasgow (really fantastic place to play) about 10 years ago. His guitarist (an ex blockhead no less) has trouble before the gig - his Parker Fly went on the blink. I loaned him a replacement Fly for the gig that night. The nect day I received a coupke of bottles of very nice wine asca thank you, and a call from Sir Bob to say thanks for helping out. Seems like a decent sort to me.

Seeing it was on stage I agree with most of the list, except the medleys and solos stuff.

A good medley is a real good way for bands with a large back catalog to nod to their fans. Of course a bad medley is horrible to sit through, but a good one can make a fantastic piece of music, and its even better if its a "spot the obscure album track" sort.

As for solos, there are ways to do this too, and maybe it's because I'm a musician, but I like to see solos from at least some of the band members. If the band is backing a solo artist, the last thing I want to see is them sitting in the back, playing off sheet music exactly as the artist demands. It adds so much to the show when the artist becomes part of the band for the night, and these often excellent musicians are given a chance to show off and entertain us in their own way.