Why become a member? ×

you cant beat fender, They got it right.....

greyparrot

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372255305' post='2123429']
So we are all praising the standard fender jazz bass for it's simple Workman like qualities over a super jazz clone yet the bass in question is active and had none standard pickups?............
[/quote]

This is true my friend, but i did say fender.. and not jazz or p bass, but the evolution of the fender bass has something for everyone... :-) there is also something very cool about doing a video and getting in that fender logo on the HS..

Edited by greyparrot

I've often been tempted by a boutique 5 string Jazz, (well, a 4 string would do as well) but I always seem to back off when I give it some thought.

When GuitarGuitar first stocked Sadowsky, I tried a few Metros, and as well made as they are, they don't really have anything over a Fender, (4 string variant). The pre-amp was decent, but it just didn't have the bite of a normal US Fender J. It sounded very polished, very clean, and lacked the warmer and aggressive bite of the Fender Jazz.

I really don't think you need a pre-amp with a P bass. The Fender American Standard 5 I played was very nice for the money, so unless you must have a certain boutique top or bizarre colour, the Fender P is what I'd go for.

I've not played the Fender Jazz 5, although I hear they are pretty good.

If I get another J or P, it'll be a Fender, even if I go for a 5 string.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1372257614' post='2123484']
Sir, you are the most righteous person on this forum. Well done. The "nay sayers" will be along in a minute, but they are whistling in the wind.

Fender dominates the world of bass and will forever rule the un-Fenders. It is the way of the bass guitar.
[/quote]

haha we will c i guess..

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1372257661' post='2123486']
But what about Rickenbackers?
[/quote]

I had a stunning usa 2008 maple glow one :rolleyes: .. but sold it....... :)

The Fender jazz was my first decent bass,i paid £269 for 75 4 bolt in 1983.The neck was super slim the action low and a dream to play.The next few years everybody started playing Wal,Status,Steinberger,jaydee etc and the humble Jazz was very uncool.Luckily i avoided temptation and stuck with it and they have took over the world again.Each to their own but i think a lot of bassists try to over complicate things,perhaps trying to take the guitar guys on.Always had compliments on my bass and the sound.Eventually parted with it to get a 76 with rosewood block neck instead of maple and thats also a great bass.
I think the Jazz is the female to the Precisions male.

[quote name='jazzmanb' timestamp='1372258713' post='2123514']
I think the Jazz is the female to the Precisions male.
[/quote]

This makes sense. The Jazz is much more 'feminine'.

The Stingray is the drunk guy who everyone invites to parties who inevitably is the centre of attention.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1372256271' post='2123444']
I still own two Fenders that were each more expensive than an Alleva Coppolo and a Mike Lull added together.

Far more attractive investment than a bloody pension fund.

One was made in 1965:
[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201966%20CURRENT/DSCF4276.jpg.html"][/url]

And one was made in 1957:
[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/CIMG1228.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

oOOOOH, those are beautiful dude.

I especially like the '57 :D .

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1372260905' post='2123559']
The Frog Stamp pedal is incredibly rare ...
[/quote]

No outboard trickery could truly capture the weedy squelch that came out of that thing... I traded it in for a tanglewood something or other which was even worse.

I know it was a squire but it put me off fenders for years..

Ribbit...Ribbit...

Well, I think it's been well discussed that Leo and his cronies got so much right at their very first attempt, lots of long standing bass players end up playing a Fender. Even those who, en-route, made other brands famous (Geddy for example) and who certainly have the money to have whatever they want.

There are manufacturers with their own successful models and designs who also make a version of a direct Fender design. Others (Sadowsky for example) have made their fortune by honing his design.

I have to say I think the man himself improved on the design with MM, and I suspect even further with G&L (regrettably never played one of those). To have made such a touchy-feely thing as a musical instrument such a universal favourite from a design aimed at mass production and simple, low skilled assembly is an amazing achievement.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372256161' post='2123443']
This one is going to run and run and when it's finally on it's last legs we can always rely on someone mentioning either Jaco or The Beatles and hey presto! we'll be off and running again!
[/quote]

... :P

[url="http://blog.sharemyguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/SMG_Paul_McCartney_Fender_Jazz.jpg"][/url]

I always played Ricks until I bought a Warwick from BC's own Jigster. A bit of fiddling later and I have a bastardised Warwick active that is now my go to bass - but I also play my Precision or Jazz for a few songs each gig.

Bass players who have seen me before and come to gigs now ask how I make both the Warwick and the P or J sound like my Rick. Maybe John Hall will be trying to patent my fingers?

The upshot is: whatever floats your boat. There is not necessarily "better", just "I like ......".

mmm, well since joining BC I've had so many basses on and off the roundabout it amazes me! Err, I've had Warwick, Yamaha, Sandberg, Status basses etc and I now have 4 Fenders (2 jazzes and 2 P basses). Whilst all the other ones on paper have been far superior for some reason or another I seem to always go back to the old faithfuls!! I guess that sound must have been cemented somewhere in my unconscious ;)

Edited by jimbobothy

Just been re-reading my bass history t'over the years book....good toilet bumpf.

...if you take a cynical view the bass deluxe (jazz) was an early exercise by Leo's marketing man 'genious par excellence' Don Randall, who thought customers may pay extra for a more racy model...he was right!

.... so maybe Leo got right with the P bass in the 1st place, it does the job and that's what counts, the jazz the icing on the cake.