Why become a member? ×

Yes tour 2014

Paul S

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1371645076' post='2116510']
and that's being generous by describing [i][b]5% Of Nothing[/b][/i] as "music".
[/quote]

:o
Them's fighting words! ;)

Personally, I love that thing, and in my humble opinion it also wonderfully introduces Long Distance Runaround.

best,
bert

I was at the '91 tour as well, with all the past members. Great show - they opened with a long 'Yours Is No Disgrace'!

IMHO, love all the stuff up to, and including 'Drama'. After that...not really....but still a great live band I'm sure.

Not so bothered about RW's absence, but a shame they can't patch things up with JA. But as has been said, you still get Squire, etc. - all great musicians to go and see, with a superb set of songs. 'Yes Album' and 'GFTO' - can't argue with that. :)[size=4] [/size]

Tickets booked for Manchester (Anderson or not). Personally I'd rather listen to a sub who will hopefully be on form to JA croaking his was through some tough vocal numbers. Close to the Edge was the first LP I ever bought, so hopefully it will be a special evening,

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1372000008' post='2120467']
Tickets booked for Manchester (Anderson or not). Personally I'd rather listen to a sub who will hopefully be on form to JA croaking his was through some tough vocal numbers. Close to the Edge was the first LP I ever bought, so hopefully it will be a special evening,
[/quote]

FWIW, Jon is one of the few singers of that era whose voice hasn't deteriorated over the years. I've only seen Yes once but have seen Jon at his solo shows and his voice is still astounding.

Wakeman sr has not been involved for some time, took umbridge at the way Jon was treated among other things. His son Oliver did a tour when Benoit David was on vocals but then Geoff Downs came on board and he's still in the band as far as I know.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1377174301' post='2184290']
FWIW, Jon is one of the few singers of that era whose voice hasn't deteriorated over the years. I've only seen Yes once but have seen Jon at his solo shows and his voice is still astounding.
[/quote]

Most definitely. I'm a serial attendee at Yes / JA solo & some of the Rick & Jon shows. I think he's not been well of late though hence the concern.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1377135826' post='2183894']
No Jon and rick, like mentioned before seems a bit like a tribute band
[/quote]
Remind me Marcus, how long has it been since the original lineup of Level 42 last toured? ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1377204715' post='2184882']

Remind me Marcus, how long has it been since the original lineup of Level 42 last toured? ;)
[/quote]

Is this a lets all gang up on Marcus association ;)

I'm simply making a point! Just as ill say I think no Gould brothers no level 42, I go to see my favourite bass player perform in his setting... Just as I pointed out would be cool for the squire fans

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1377189614' post='2184597']
Most definitely. I'm a serial attendee at Yes / JA solo & some of the Rick & Jon shows. I think he's not been well of late though hence the concern.
[/quote]

That's alright then. I thought you were havin' a pop at JA back there ;)
I think Jon's a lot better now, and plays live quite regularly. I think he had to give up heavy touring following a sever asthma attack but he can certainly still sing, and like Rick, wanted Yes to play bigger, one-off events rather than tours.
Sadly this wasn't to be.

I too think Jon was treaded shoddily by the others - particularly Squire of all people. It reminds me a bit of that scene in Spinal Tap where David matter-of-factly states he will no longer be working with Nigel, to the shock of the interviewer who is aware of their personal history. when it comes down to 'Yes is a business', that just makes me sad.

I read an interview with Jon in Classic Rock a while ago, when asked if he still thought about rejoining Yes, he answered that it was the first thing he thought about when he woke up every day. :(

Yes it was weird what went on, not that I know other than what I've read. I've always hated the "Yes is a business" thing too although I suspect it may the case to varying degrees with many of the shall we say 'established' acts.

Slightly OT but I thought you lot might be interested in this. I popped over to my Brothers for the weekend and he showed ne what he had bought. Im a bit of a Yes fan, inspired by him but he is a huge Yes fan so this figures. Im guessing there arent many of these about..........

[URL=http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/apasher/media/tapes.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q491/apasher/tapes.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As for the tour his reaction was its just a tribute band. No new stuff and not all the proper members so isnt bothering. Hes seen them enough times to know.

A

• 8 months later...

Addendum to this - did anyone else go last night to see Yes at the Cliff's Pavilion? Totally brilliant - exceeded my expectations. As a part time listener to Yes, not a dyed in the wool fan, I thought the 'new' singer is great and near enough to Jon Anderson for it not to matter to me. Howe and Squire were on top form. Even if they both look slightly odd these days. As tight as a band can be, especially given the complexity of the music. And crystal clear sound. Bass playing was a masterclass. And 2hrs 15 mins playing, too. I am so glad I went :)