Why become a member? ×

Yes tour 2014

Paul S

Saw them at Oxford on Tuesday. Didn't miss Anderson at all but I wasn't overly impressed by Geoff Downes - he can play all the parts but having his back to the audience almost all night was a bit odd.

Howe & Squire were, unsurprisingly the stars of the show. We were right in front of Steve Howe (who is looking a bit scary these days!) and it was amazing to see him that close.

Really good show and the flow of material worked fine for me. Didn't bother me that it was a bit out of chronological sequence and the addition of Roundabout as an encore made up for the lack of Fragile as an album :)

Was at the Southend gig last night. I only went as it was local as I'm firmly in the Anderson camp.
Have to say, I was well impressed and really enjoyed it. Have to say that Davidsons voice worked well, although he did seem a bit lost on stage. The thing that impressed me the most was Geoff Downs, having seen him with Yes on the last tour looking like a startled rabbit (as well as the Buggles era) He has grown in confidence in the role. His playing was superb, not quite Wakeman, but close enough.
Sadly Chris was hard to hear. I was in the middle front of the circle and missed the thunder of the bass pedals and depth of the Rickie. Only on a few occasions did the famous 'clank' really shine through.
But all in all, a great night and if I can get another ticket, I'll be there :)

A fantastic show in Southend. Poignant for me as I saw Yes in Southend when they played the old technical college on 24th May 1969 - 44 years ago. At that time I remember being amazed at Chris's bass technique and extraordinary tone and he inspired me to make the change from double bass to bass guitar. I still marvel at his bass playing and I am glad to have been lucky to have seen Chris, Steve and the rest of the band again in southend

Was at the Oxford gig. No complaints at all. It was a Yes gig. Have seen them 3x. Each gig had a different singer (Anderson, Horn and Davison). All different, all credible. I only heard JD struggle with one note and, on a repeat, he nailed it. What I did notice was the virtuosity I applauded as a kid was illusory. The magic of Yes is the composition, arranging and vocal harmonies not the playing.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1399044389' post='2440423']The magic of Yes is the composition, arranging and vocal harmonies not the playing. [/quote]
Absolutely, if ever there was an example of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts then it's Yes. But it helps to have 'parts' that are a cut above the average from the get go... ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1399044389' post='2440423']
The magic of Yes is the composition, arranging and vocal harmonies not the playing.
[/quote]

Aye.
Yet, when Steve Morse did a Steve Howe track on a Yes tribute album, and seemed to have a much easier job than Steve Howe ever had, so to speak, on first listen the track did seem to lose something.
Hm. May have to revisit.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1399050150' post='2440517']
Us Essex BC'ers really must get our sh*t together next time. The Southend gig was great.
[/quote]

Indeed. It ends up I was sitting next to Gareth and his mate and was chatting with them in the intermission - no idea we were fellow Basschatters.

So - anyone going to see Jeff Beck on 13th?

Still going to Leicester tonight, I'll be the one in the *cough* 'unofficial' beige tour T shirt that has 'Full Circle Tour' on the back with the band members in red. Feel free to tap me on the shoulder (once you've got me one in from the bar) ;)

Saw the Manchester gig last night. What a great evening, Close to the Edge was the first LP I ever bought, so good to hear the whole thing live. The rendering of Awaken made it for me though, and GFTO is not one of my top 3 Yes albums either.

Just back in Cardiff after the Bristol show. Awesome performance and great sound. (Had front row balcony seats)
Awaken was probably the showstopper for me. John Davison did a great job on vocals, very strong voice but still not Anderson. Perhaps better than Benoit David.
Did miss Rick on keys a bit though.

Of course Squire was totally on form. His sound is just amazing as usual. Howe on form too, excellent rendition of "Clap" I've seen every major tour since 1970 and this one does stand out for me. The whole band playing great, timing impeccable
and looking like they were enjoying themselves.

Hope they tour again.

There's a new album of all original material coming out July (Heaven and Earth) and a long US tour to go with it so they might take a break after that and then do some European dates to promote the album perhaps?
[url="http://www.billboard.com/articles/6032603/chris-squire-of-yes-talks-heaven-and-earth-album-new-singer-rock-hall"]http://www.billboard.com/articles/6032603/chris-squire-of-yes-talks-heaven-and-earth-album-new-singer-rock-hall[/url]

Edited by KevB