Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice from Actual Famous(or been in known bands) Bass players

Just wondering if anyone has ever asked a known/famous bass player for advice about playing or technique on here?

I've had the luck of having asked & received it off three.

The day I bought my first bass, I went to see Scottish Indie rockers Idlewild play a free instore gig @ Piccadilly Records later in the afternoon. Before the set, I asked their then bassist Bob Fairfoull for any advice. He said just practice(No malice! He was dead nice & chilled.)

A couple of years later, I bumped into Elbow's Pete Turner. When I asked him a similar question-because I still wasn't very good at that point-he said "Keep it simple. Let the guitarists do the fiddly stuff."
Many years later, I went to a Q & A with Billy Sheehan. I asked him if he played by ear or he sight read sheet music. He wings it by ear!;-) (He basically was in awe of those guys who can, though he reiterated that you should always go with what works best for you. Another sweet dude too like the other two four stringers.)

That's me done wasting your time folks! How about the rest of you?

Edited by indiegrungesound

I've met a few (Reading was probably the most famous internationally) but never talked technique. Our singer once asked Brian Tatler what the secret of succes was and his reply was "write good f***in songs, its that simple.."

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1371145000' post='2110522']
I've met a few (Reading was probably the most famous internationally) but never talked technique. Our singer once asked Brian Tatler what the secret of succes was and his reply was "write good f***in songs, its that simple.."
[/quote]
What's old Brian doing now? ;)

Jaya the cat , great name ;) i met cliff burton . He just said ' get a phaser '. I asked billy sheehan how to play' michelle' at a bass clinc. Hebdid it , and is anlovely bloke and of course awesome. Talked rubbish to stu hamm, and left him scratching his head. Same as billy , nice bloke etc. asked Tony Macalpine (guitarist) what happened to his hair. Thats not really technical;)

I met Go West's bass player in Wales many years ago, we got chatting about Pino because apparently they shared a flat together in London at some point, he said "don't worry that you can't play like Pino, no one can he is just a bass playing machine" propably good advice because some 20 years later I still can't play like Pino

I once asked Jeff Berlin at the old Wapping Bass Centre how to play fast fingerstyle lines without cramping up.
He said get the action down on your bass and play with a light touch, always focusing on keeping both hands relaxed and let the amp do the work. That's what it's for.
Common sense but very helpful all the same.
I was young at the time and quite terrified of how he would be (reputation and all), but he was really approachable and nice actually.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1371140137' post='2110431']The day I bought my first bass, I went to see Scottish Indie rockers Idlewild play a free instore gig @ Piccadilly Records later in the afternoon. Before the set, I asked their then bassist Bob Fairfoull for any advice. He said just practice(No malice! He was dead nice & chilled.)
[/quote]

I was at the same school as Roddy, their singer. He used to cross the road when he saw me because I always had a very big dog with me (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) and he was scared of dogs.

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but I thought I'd share anyway...

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1371197496' post='2111010']
I was at the same school as Roddy, their singer. He used to cross the road when he saw me because I always had a very big dog with me (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) and he was scared of dogs.

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but I thought I'd share anyway...
[/quote]

Poor Roddy! :D ;) Thanks for sharing!
[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1371205440' post='2111128']
When I played lead guitar in my last band we were lucky to be on a TV show and met Glen Hughes. His advice was "If you ever make a cock up just make sure the audience doesn't notice."
[/quote]

I just glad that no one has at any of my gigs yet! :unsure: ;)

I had a very inteteresting chat with Jimmy Johnson and Alan Holdsworth a couple of years ago....super nice, friendly guys. Extremely humble!

Jimmy advised me to buy another Alembic and go straight through house PA's and lose the rig lol. He uses no effects and quized me about overdrive/Sansamps etc. A bit rich because im the most technically stupid bassist in Britain!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1371296948' post='2112248']
Marco Mendoza once gave me some great advice about achieving a solid tone in the studio but sadly I forgot every word almost immediately (damn you Jack Daniels!!!!) ;)
[/quote]

How d'ya know the advice was great then? :P

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1371304781' post='2112374']

How d'ya know the advice was great then? :P
[/quote]

Ahh yeeeeaaaa. Kinda made the aumption if I'm honest! He could quite easily have told me the secret of his sound was submerging his amp in melted cheese and plucking the strings with his toes!

By chance I met Jet Harris at the 1st NEC 'Mad About Guitars Show'. He was most unassuming and we chatted for about 10 mins. Hank Marvin also did a workshop at the same show.

I told Jet that for Xmas 1960 we got our 1st LP which was the 1st Shadows LP and which I still have. Also, that it was his fault that I had just started to learn bass aged 50+. My elder brother and his lifetime friend wanted to start playing again after a break of about 30 years and they said to me, "well you'll have to play bass then". We are Shadows fans and play most of their well known intrumentals.

He told me to learn my scales but I tend to remember patterns more. I think he started out on double bass and probably had the 1st Fender precision bass player in England, Hank getting the 1st Strat'.

It was a pleasure to meet him.

Edited by grandad