Why become a member? ×

Who on Basschat has the most expensive bass?

Jonny Walker

I wish mine were a bass - and from a similar date, from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately it's of the 6-string guitar variety - a 1977 Aria Pro II PE series prototype, which was produced for exhibition purposes. It truly is a work of art, but I can't help but wish it were an SB series prototype.

[quote name='Protium' post='291640' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:44 AM']Anyone with a 1930's Audiovox electric bass? Fender would probably pay [u]anything[/u] for these to dispose of them and be the "inventor" of the electric bass ha ha[/quote]

Well, there are substantial differences between Paul Tutmarc’s electronic bass fiddle and Leo Fender’s precision bass – not least that Tutmarc’s instrument was based on a 30 1/2” scale length and used an inferior gauge of string - both of these design criteria affecting the instruments range, and making it more comparable to a baritone guitar than a bass. The registrations for the developments and inventions that Fender made are clearly the basis for the modern electric bass, and Fender's was certainly the first mass-produced instrument.

[quote name='noelk27' post='291922' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:12 PM']Well, there are substantial differences between Paul Tutmarc’s electronic bass fiddle and Leo Fender’s precision bass – not least that Tutmarc’s instrument was based on a 30 1/2” scale length and used an inferior gauge of string - both of these design criteria affecting the instruments range, and making it more comparable to a baritone guitar than a bass. The registrations for the developments and inventions that Fender made are clearly the basis for the modern electric bass, and Fender's was certainly the first mass-produced instrument.[/quote]

There are substantial differences between a Fender P and Jean Baudin's 4million string bass but they're both still bass guitars.

Plus I wasn't disputing the fact that it was the first mass-produced bass, just that it wasn't the "first" electric, fretted bass :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='212955' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:08 AM']I met a BCer when making a purchase and he had about 15 basses on the wall and it was all quality stuff including vintage Fenders, Sei etc etc. He had a rare Warwick reputed to be worth about £8,000.[/quote]

that the one that no one will buy for £800 in the for sale forum? :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='290483' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:22 AM']How does your back cope with the weight of those doublenecks?[/quote]

They can get quite heavy after a while, but they're OK for a song or two. If we're rehearsing something over and over it can get a bit tiring. Being prog, of course none of the songs I've used it on have been short, but the longest one also requires the guitarist to use his doubleneck and in rehearsal he normally weakens first.

[quote name='noelk27' post='291922' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:12 PM']... Tutmarc’s instrument was based on a 30 1/2” scale length and used an inferior gauge of string - both of these design criteria affecting the instruments range, and making it more comparable to a baritone guitar than a bass.[/quote]

Not with you on the 30 1/2" scale thing. That's the standard scale length on all my vintage Hofners (I have lots) and they are all definitely short-scale basses with nary a sight of a baritone amongst 'em.

[i][color="#006400"]Veers even further off topic, wonders whether to try stringing one of his Hofners A-D-G-C and if so what gauge strings to use, considers starting new thread to ask for opinions, decides he can't be bothered to start new thread, contemplates adding all this to existing "expensive bass" thread, realises he has already done so, who says the drugs don't work? [/i][/color]

Oops.

• 7 years later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1212609431' post='212747']
I have no idea how much mine would have cost, if I hadn't been Jon Shuker's rent boy for 3 years.
[/quote]

Blimey! Did I really say this?? Lol!

I've had my 7 string for pretty much ten years now and I had a Shuker Elite 6 before then and I'm still a proud Shuker player.

Speaking of prices though, it boggles me that you can get a bass made by Shuker and it will be as good as some twice the price. So I suspect in terms of cash alone, one won't be 'the most expensive bass on BassChat!'

Most expensive bass i've owned was the Ken Smith BSR-5M that retailed for about £4k, needless to say that i bought it used for half the price. This was the cheap bolt-on model (not a Burner though) and i know that there are a lot os BC users with the neck-through models that cost way more than that.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1468570659' post='3091794']
(...)

Seriously, 8 year bump? :blink:
[/quote]

I read the thread and found it funny how much things have changed since. Not a lot of people talking about Ken Smith, Fodera, Ritter, etc. I'm guessing that now there are a lot more users owning much more expensive basses.